Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 15, 2008: Motor Boat Cruise

It was like an Autopia on water — slow boats instead of slow cars.

Although there been a Yesterland entry for the Motor Boat Cruise for many years, it only had two tiny pictures. I've updated the entry with more pictures, larger pictures, and a longer article.

Link to Motor Boat Cruise at Yesterland

Please discuss it here.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 08-15-2008 at 07:33 AM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• The line's too long...

Re: August 15, 2008: Motor Boat Cruise

Nice article. I think it would be a cute attraction with an update. Kids like to imagine they're piloting boats... and couples might like a romantic night cruise.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

My brothers and I really wanted to ride those boats as an excited 6 year old in 1963. But my overly cautious parents didn't let us. My first ride was years later as a 5th grader. I remember being totally bummed that the steering wheel did NOTHING! But then there would have been no other way to doing the boats than on a track. So I can say with pride that I've ridded the Motor Boats exactly ONCE, and that was enough.

I do enjoy the current Fantasia Gardens, though - one of the more peaceful spots in DL!

So the former dock is now a smoking section? Great. So all the smokers can throw their cigarette butts into the water - after all, part of the fun of smoking is to make as big a mess as possible!

• We Want The Redhead

As a kid I loved it for its simplicity as well as for the chance to burn up a 'B' ticket. As a grown-up, it was a nice place to rest my feet with a little quiet time with the wife. She still misses it too.
    Thanks for the expanded memories!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck 9999 View Post
    So the former dock is now a smoking section? Great. So all the smokers can throw their cigarette butts into the water - after all, part of the fun of smoking is to make as big a mess as possible!
    Angry much?

• Tourist

I always liked the Motor Boat Cruise. It was fun to take a slow ride and look at the sights.

I miss the Motor Boats, the Skyway, and the PeopleMover.

• FastPass n00b

The Motor Boat Cruise was one of my favorite rides, even before it closed. I always had to go on it before we left that day. I have always loved any type of boats and have since developed a love for speed boats and personal watercraft, but who knows if the Motor Boat Cruise created this love for boats or simply catered to it.

It seems like such a small budget cost to get these things up and running again. Everything is still there (including the track I assume) so how about spending a few million bucks (what, like 2 days of guest admissions nowadays) to get this thing back up and running.

There are just some things I do NOT get! The Motor Boat Cruise and Tahitian Terrace/Aladdin's Oasis would be so simple and effective to reopen, yet they don't do it. They both have an instant fanbase and don't cost much money, yet they spend money on things like FastPass and adding movie-tie ins and Disney characters to classic rides? Frustrating.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

The onlt problem is that unfortunately everything is not still there. When finding Nemo was rebuilt/ reopened, the built a cinderblock wall on that piece of the river about at Small World keeping the Water in the area where the old dock is. They then tore out all of the river from that wall to finding nemo. It was sad to see because the track wqas still there and it wouldn't have been hard to bring it back.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

We live on a lake and have been looking for these old Disney boats. Does anyone have any info on where to look?

Enjoyed the article and photos
    Thank you.

•   
    • Minion

travisty...

So much space turned smoker's shangri-la...

I don't expect the boats to come back, but if ever there where prime DL realistate for imagineers to work something on something new - this is it...

Of course, they have to deal with DCA first...
    Check out my other blog:

Angry Re: August 15, 2008: Motor Boat Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck 9999 View Post
    Donald, Donald, Donald, You bitter Duck. Being a smoker I have been to all the "smoking attractions" I have never seen a butt floating in the waters. I do see cups and soda bottles and people feeding ducks popcorn, cotton candy, ect. On July 15th I saw a young woman drop her cell phone into the water at the former Motor Boat Cruise. We smokers pay a lot of taxes and I know it's a very bad habit but to emply that all smokers trash everything in sight is narrow minded. Do you think Walt threw his butts nilly willy? Yes I said nilly willy, you silly billy!

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    The only problem is that unfortunately everything is not still there. When finding Nemo was rebuilt/ reopened, the built a cinderblock wall on that piece of the river about at Small World keeping the Water in the area where the old dock is. They then tore out all of the river from that wall to finding nemo.
    Thus leaving MBC's loading dock and the pond around it kept as Fantasia Gardens while the rest of the waterway was filled in for FNSV's construction.

The smoking section was under the monorail near the off-road section of Autopia... then FNSV opened and the smoking area was relocated to between the TL train station and Autopia. So as to provide a very extended queue through the docks and past Small World Mall for FNSV. Then late June 2008, the smoking section was relocated to the end of the dock at Fantasia Gardens from a more tame FNSV queue.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• The one, the only...

Walt Disney must have loved boats rides since he used them in so many attractions. I think he knew that just getting into a boat is fun since we do not do that every day. The Motor Boat cruise was a nice little ride. It was not meant to be a "thrill" ride, but for Disneyland which presented itself as a "park," it was truly a relaxing park experience.

I do miss the ride. It is not one that is mentioned many times when people are asked what rides they would like to come back, but it was a ride that all ages could enjoy. No height restrictions here!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• jeffrey

I wouldn't mind going on this to escape the hote afternoon sun. Just no pirates on this one, eh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast