• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 28, 2008: Newport Harbor Buffalo Ranch

Itís 1955. There's a brand new attraction in Orange County. There's nothing else like it anywhere.

No, this isnít Disneyland. Itís the Newport Harbor Buffalo Ranch.

Link to Newport Harbor Buffalo Ranch at Yesterland.

My sincere thanks go to the Old Orange County Courthouse Museum / Orange County Archives for providing the historic photos.

Please discuss the Yesterland article here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: August 28, 2008: Newport Harbor Buffalo Ranch

Wow, that was a really interesting article! Your historic photos and commentary were fascinating. THANK YOU for enlightening us about a part of Orange County's history that, I'll bet, few know about.

• Earth Intruder

I love a good entertainment facility where you can eat the main attractions.

Thanks for the article, it was totally fascinating. I actually went by that intersection with the buffalo statue just a few weeks ago.... but this is the first I've ever heard of the place (obviously I didn't stop and read the statue).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Functional & Decorative

Wow! I thought I knew of most local parks, past and present, but this one was a surprise to me! Thanks for the info!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Bucket List Car

Nice job Werner. I like your yester-side trips!! Thanks for the info.

Great article. One note, the road that goes by the site of the old buffalo ranch is now called Bison Ave.

You come up with the best articles. I loved it!

• Dave

Blog Entries

I always love your stuff. Thanks
    Dave

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Wow! Great stuff. Very interesting.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    Great article. One note, the road that goes by the site of the old buffalo ranch is now called Bison Ave.
    I live literally right near there and Bison is near the original site but the actual corner where it was located was at MacArthur and Bonita Canyon.

Thanks for those great pictires! I can't wait to get home to look at them more closely -- it's where I live!

It is a little sad that they moved the barn to the OC Fairgrounds. I used to always tell people when giving directions, "go south on MacArthur and when you see a barn, turn left.". The buffalo statue is not as easily noticed, but it's nice that they have that there as a commemeration. And it is nice that the barn is still around, although not at its original site.

Thanks for the wonderful article!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I live literally right near there and Bison is near the original site but the actual corner where it was located was at MacArthur and Bonita Canyon.
    I agree.

Although the name of Bison Ave. is almost certainly a reference to the critters that had once roamed the Newport Harbor Buffalo Ranch, the road did not exist when the Buffalo Ranch was in business. Bison Ave. is located a half mile or so northwest of the Buffalo Ranch site. My 1973 Orange County roadmap shows Bison Ave. as a short road off of Jamboree, and it didn't even connect to MacArthur Blvd. yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It is a little sad that they moved the barn to the OC Fairgrounds. I used to always tell people when giving directions, "go south on MacArthur and when you see a barn, turn left.". The buffalo statue is not as easily noticed, but it's nice that they have that there as a commemeration. And it is nice that the barn is still around, although not at its original site.
    My understanding is that they only moved the silo, not the barn. And my understanding is that this silo was built for the Urbanus Square architectural office complex. This particular silo was not there when it was the Buffalo Ranch.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 08-29-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Another great article from Werner Weiss!!

I lived in Anaheim in the 80's and have returned countless times but had no idea the Buffalo Ranch ever existed. Very intersting and great commentary on the vernacular of the park.

• FastPass n00b

This is absolutely amazing, I had no idea the area was ever like that! I especially liked Chief Push Ma-Ta-Ha's "Injun Tradum Store" and the 400-pound T. Texas Tiny eating an enormous burger. My goodness, you can't even use the word 'indian' nowadays, but back then you could set up an "Injun Tradum Store" and call the guy "Chief Push Ma-Ta-Ha"? When did we lose our way, lol.

T. Texas Tiny is also pretty good because back then it was okay to have some fun with being fat. So few people were fat back then that a 400-pound man was probably a sight to behold and worth going to see. But today, you can see it in Aisle 5 at Wal-Mart. The 1950's were still incredibly backwards, just look at how they treated black people, but there was also a lot more common sense back then.

Excellent article!

The Barn is not on Orange county Fairgrounds property any longer. When they decided they no longer wanted it, a family friend of mine got it from them, disassembled it, and rebuilt it on his property in Newport Beach, CA. It is still there, as you can see from this picture. If you click on the link in the article for the video there is some video taken of the interior as well.

The Log.com News