• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

December 12, 2008: The 1977 Version of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through

After an absence of more the seven years, the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough has returned to Disneyland. But the 1977 version remains in Yesterland. Please take a look.

Please discuss the attraction and the article here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: December 12, 2008: The 1977 Version of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through

Very good article and pictures. I was upset I never went on the old version but I'm more than impressed with what they have done.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: December 12, 2008: The 1977 Version of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through

Great article, but I wish there were more pictures from the current version. I'll be seeing it for myself in a little over a week - can't wait!

• FastPass n00b

In the old version of the walkthrough, the hypnotizing light from later in the film was a filthy piece of cotton swab with a dim light glowing. It had gotten pretty bad towards the end of this wonderful attraction's previous life.

I am so glad to see this attraction is getting the attention it deserves, especially since it's not a marketable or particularly visible attraction. It just goes to show that there are still people in Disney who really do care about the park and are keeping Walt's legacy alive.

One thing I am concerned about though is it looks like just images in the attraction now. I really liked the "3D" aspect of the old attraction and I'm not sure I want to see it go back to being just artwork.

It's no return of the PeopleMover, Tahitian Terrace or MotorBoat Cruise, but I'll take this reopening ANY day! I am just so happy that it's back because no trip to Disneyland was ever complete without a walk through the Castle. It's one of those attractions that isn't so "in the moment" as modern rides, but instead takes you back decades and something that you almost feel you HAVE to take your kids to. Space Mountain is fun, but it doesn't give you that timeless sense of childhood or slow-paced reflection that this attraction does.

Well done to whoever reopened this!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    One thing I am concerned about though is it looks like just images in the attraction now. I really liked the "3D" aspect of the old attraction and I'm not sure I want to see it go back to being just artwork.
    I haven't seen the new version in person. However, my guess is that the experience of being there is completely different than seeing photographs.

The attraction still relies on dioramas, with artwork and projections in various plains at different distances from the guest. When photographed, it's all forced onto one layer and it looks like flat artwork.

The attraction appears to capture the style of movie, which was a mid-century animation interpretation of medieval artwork -- two styles which tend to be flat, yet can be very dramatic.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Great article!

I was hoping to see the Diorama of Briar Rose dancing with Owl Phillip.

That one was my favorite.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I haven't seen the new version in person. However, my guess is that the experience of being there is completely different than seeing photographs.

The attraction still relies on dioramas, with artwork and projections in various plains at different distances from the guest. When photographed, it's all forced onto one layer and it looks like flat artwork.

The attraction appears to capture the style of movie, which was a mid-century animation interpretation of medieval artwork -- two styles which tend to be flat, yet can be very dramatic.

The new sets use the same sort of "multiplane" effects used in the film. While the sets may be 2 dimensional, the 3d illusions are quite convincing, especially with the new special effects they've incorporated.

• Now 40% less bitter!

The doll diorama version of the walk-through is the only one I've known. I haven't seen the new one, but I will soon. I know that some of the dolls are still in existance, because I saw the one of Prince Philip kissing Aurora in a Main Street Emporium window a few years back. I posted a thread about it and Kevin Yee posted a photo of it; same prince, different wig.
    I wonder if the dolls will show up in anything else?
    Oo-de-lally!

• ...TWO BITS!

Didn't Al Lutz or someone mention that Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island 's Dead Man's Grotto help influence the reawakening of the walkthrough? Of course, I'm not sure how long WDI planned on reopening this.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Who are you again?

when i went on this last week on my vac. there it was awsome!
    i really like the movie-style diramas and all the special effects
    if you are able to go to disneyland, i would go

I can remember my parents giving me their unused A tickets so I could go through the diorama by myself three times in a row -- ahh, memories.

To be honest, those new diorama designs look stunning. A big improvement over those Barbie-esque dolls.

LinkBacks (?)