• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

December 26, 2008: Future World in the Recent Past, Part 2

While at Epcot, I noticed that Future World has had many subtle changes in recent years. Here’s part 2 of a 2-part article comparing photos of Future World from a few years ago to similar photos taken this month.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Circle of Ancients

Re: December 26, 2008: Future World in the Recent Past, Part 2

Great Stuff Werner.

As somebody who visited WDW for the first time in 2006, I love seeing what things used to look like there.

Smile Re: December 26, 2008: Future World in the Recent Past, Part 2

Werner you did it again!

Sad Re: December 26, 2008: Future World in the Recent Past, Part 2

I can't say I like the new changes. It is clearly showing the decline in quality, attention to detail, and artistic creativity within the Disney organization.

The first picture, at Epcot's entrance, shows a direction sign which is now left unkempt and mildewing. Behind it shows a plant that once sat decoratively behind a handrail, now left to grow untrimmed and cover the handrail.

Also, what ever happened to the concept of leading to and framing an upcoming scene or structure? The palm trees, which had once fronted "The Land" Pavilion, are now replaced by lower maintenance, overgrowing, and a much building obscuring group of trees.

The new "The Land" pavilion sign, which appears less iconic, and more cartoonish, is also left to mildew.

The interior details at the Living Seas Pavilion have been greatly reduced with the most recent updates.

And lastly, the color palette throughout the four parks, though not reflective of these pictures, are becoming more and more gaudy over the years.

• is satisfactual.

Let me start by saying that these updates are always interesting and well-written.

But I just can't say I ever get excited by befores or afters when it comes to Epcot. It's all just so incredibly boring, it always was and it probably always will be. I know the park has many fans, but I just don't see it.

Who sees The Land or its Garden Grill — before or after all the redecorating — and sees anything more than a bad 1970s mall?

Sad Re: December 26, 2008: Future World in the Recent Past, Part 2

The first time I visited WDW was back in 1989 and been back a few times since. Of the three parks available then, EPCOT soon became my favorite.

The "World of Motion" and "Horizon" Pavilions were still available. The "Living Seas" was much more interesting then. They had successfully split education with entertainment. The original "Imagination" ride was also still around. Everything was newer, neater, and much better maintained.

Disney always made it a point to advertise "The constant and meticulous up keep of their parks" in their marketing and promotions.

However, I don't see them doing this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ckturtle View Post
    The interior details at the Living Seas Pavilion have been greatly reduced with the most recent updates.
    Your right on that point the sea base exit is better than a gift shop

Quote Originally Posted by ckturtle View Post
    The first picture, at Epcot's entrance, shows a direction sign which is now left unkempt and mildewing. Behind it shows a plant that once sat decoratively behind a handrail, now left to grow untrimmed and cover the handrail.
    All you see is the plant in that picture? What about the fact that the sign reflects where the restrooms are instead of trying to sell people to leave a legacy? This is a net plus.

Also, what ever happened to the concept of leading to and framing an upcoming scene or structure? The palm trees, which had once fronted "The Land" Pavilion, are now replaced by lower maintenance, overgrowing, and a much building obscuring group of trees.
    The theme of the pavilion is "The Land". Part of it is about "Living with the Land", and as such the new landscaping reflects a more natural focus, not one with less maintenance. Nature is much more varied than the old palm trees. Palm trees are a quick, easy, cheaper solution to spruce something up. Disney added a more natural woodsy setting with better landscaping that presumably cost much more than the generic palm trees. The pavilion's subject and theme are showed off much better with this. Again, a net positive.

The new "The Land" pavilion sign, which appears less iconic, and more cartoonish, is also left to mildew.
    The new sign matches the tile murals at the entrance to "The Land" and is MORE iconic. The older signs were more generic. The new sign shows off what the land is about yet again, and successfully ties the entrance to the pavilion with the newer, better landscaping and the interior. Much better.

T
    he interior details at the Living Seas Pavilion have been greatly reduced with the most recent updates.
    I do agree with you there. I don't know why visitors can't visit Seabase Alpha to visit Nemo and friends - Seabase Alpha worked as the backstory to the old pavilion, but would make sense as the location that allows us to visit with Nemo in the improved pavilion.

And lastly, the color palette throughout the four parks, though not reflective of these pictures, are becoming more and more gaudy over the years.
    It depends where you look. It was extremely gaudy in the late 90s, but with the exception of Sleeping Beauty's Pepto-Bismal home, they have been reverting to a much nicer color palate again. And in many cases, extreme improvements have been made. THANK GOODNESS the teal, fuschia, and country market theme were removed from The Land and replaced with the classier and more futuristic "clean green" theme now exhibited. All of the changes to "The Land" are much better than what had been there before.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I loved this article so much, really brought back a lot of memories for me and extremely well written. Great job!

I am officially Disney homesick. LOL