Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

January 16, 2009: Original Dumbo

Sure, you’ll still find a Dumbo, the Flying Elephant ride at Disneyland—but the original Dumbo Flying Elephants ride is in Yesterland.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: January 16, 2009: Original Dumbo

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

I will be at tokyo disney next month and take some pictures back to report

Red Face Re: January 16, 2009: Original Dumbo

I remember years ago when I was a kid (1960's) having elephant meat in a Chinatown place in San Francisco. It was cut into strips within this tangy sauce with mushrooms and other veggies. I remember loving the elephant, but not the mushrooms (although I like mushrooms now). I also recall my grandfather saying we were eating "Dumbo Stew"!. When we went to Disney World in 2005 and ate at Juko (Animal Kingdom Lodge) I asked if they served elephant, but no they didn't...And they thought I was joking! AH, too bad no one does elephant anymore unless, I guess, you over over to Thailand or someplace like that.

Maybe I can get it online, but I'm sure the shipping cost would be huge!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    Excellent, excellent, excellent!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    I will be at tokyo disney next month and take some pictures back to report
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. I look forward to updating the Dumbo article with a better photo of the Dumbo ride at Tokyo Disneyland.
    Werner Weiss

• Bucket List Car

What a great bit of Dumbo history. Thanks for sharing!

• Sarcastic Enthusiast

I had no idea about the change from 10 to 16 elephants. Very informative. Thanks Werner!
    MagicalTrash.com - Documenting the trash cans of Disney theme parks and resorts

• Layabout

I notice you didn't mention the accident that happened on the Dumbo ride around 1990, when one of the Dumbo's came loose from its support arm, injuring a guest (not fatally, thank God). I can understand not mentioning it, but in this case the accident played a role in the evolvement of the attraction. Dumbo was closed after the accident and replaced with the new Euro Disney version.

I don't think that was a coincidence -- I think Anaheim got the new version due to the accident, not just to increase capacity (timed coincidentally with an accident).

BTW, I love your Yesterland site. You do a great job there. Leaves me wanting more each time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante101 View Post
    I notice you didn't mention the accident that happened on the Dumbo ride around 1990, when one of the Dumbo's came loose from its support arm, injuring a guest (not fatally, thank God). I can understand not mentioning it, but in this case the accident played a role in the evolvement of the attraction. Dumbo was closed after the accident and replaced with the new Euro Disney version.

I don't think that was a coincidence -- I think Anaheim got the new version due to the accident, not just to increase capacity (timed coincidentally with an accident).

BTW, I love your Yesterland site. You do a great job there. Leaves me wanting more each time!

Yet another footnote...

I was visiting L.A. in 1990 when I saw that Dumbo AND THE ROCKET JETS were both totally missing. Since the newly redesigned Dumbos were not even a decade old at the time, I was curious as to why.

A good friend (and fellow Disnoid) told me that Dumbo had, indeed, 'taken a flight' and that closer inspection revealed that a lack of regular maintenance (Thank you, Mr. E!) had allowed hairline fractures to appear in the ride's supporting arms.

The investigating committee (on a hunch) checked out the similarly-neglected Rocket Jets and immediately shuttered the ride until the entire mechanism could be replaced.

Anyone want to guess why the entire Space Mountain track had to be replaced only a few years later?

Quality will out... Neglect will cost you. <g>

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Dante101 View Post
    I notice you didn't mention the accident that happened on the Dumbo ride around 1990, when one of the Dumbo's came loose from its support arm, injuring a guest (not fatally, thank God).
    I has not aware of accidents on the Dumbo ride until I received a note from a Yesterland reader. I checked the details using ProQuest to access Orange County Register and LA Times archives.

There were two accidents.

On March 29, 1989, one of the fiberglass elephants partially separated from a support arm, injuring a Garden Grove couple and their 3-year-old daughter. The family suffered "bruises and scrapes." Dumbo reopened the next day.

A year later, on April 1, 1990, one of the support arms collapsed, injuring a 13-year-old girl from Canada. The teenager suffered "minor bruises." After being checked at Garden Grove Hospital, she returned to the park for the rest of the day. This time, Dumbo was grounded for seven months.

So, not only were the injuries not fatal, they were minor. But the accidents should not have happened at all. The result was that Disneyland installed the ride that had been built for Euro Disneyland.

I'll update the Yesterland article today or tomorrow. I tend to avoid writing about minor accidents, but, in this case, the timing suggests a direct relationship between the 1990 accident and the 1990 decision to install the Euro Disneyland version of Dumbo at Disneyland.
    Werner Weiss

• -DL's VIP Entrance

Thanks Werner for another most excellent article. I had no idea about the steel failures at Dumbo, but I'm not surprised.

• is satisfactual.

It might be worth noting that the Disneyland Paris version is also surrounded by water (not just the little doughnut-shaped pool around the main mechanism) and is elevated as a whole. Makes all the difference.

http://afterthemouse.com/files/wallp...1024-Dumbo.jpg

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    It might be worth noting that the Disneyland Paris version is also surrounded by water (not just the little doughnut-shaped pool around the main mechanism) and is elevated as a whole. Makes all the difference.

http://afterthemouse.com/files/wallp...1024-Dumbo.jpg
    Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of Dumbo at Disneyland Paris, so I didn't have a picture for the article.

Disneyland Paris is beautifully designed. The Imagineers applied everything they learned from the earlier parks. Disneyland Paris makes excellent use of water in Fantasyland, Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and Frontierland.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

What a nice mini history on all the Dumbo attractions! This little piece reminds me of the stuff we used to see in the E-Ticket magazine.

• ...TWO BITS!

indeed a very nice article

i'm not sure, but i think the photo-op dumbo elephant to the side of the attraction was put there for a golden 50th elephant. now it's there for good with a grey elephant. correct me if i'm wrong.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast