Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Re: March 20, 2009: Pirate Ship Restaurant

Dang, another attraction that I never saw. It seems as though many of the classic attractions that don't exist anymore were gone before I even went to the park for the first time. I didn't make my first trip there until 2006, and it makes me sad to see many great attractions out of the park.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

• Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!

I'm trying to figure out where it was exactly. I know it said that Dumbo is there now, but you can't see Cinderella's castle from Dumbo can you? Maybe it's because the trees have grown or something, but I'm having trouble seeing clearly where it was when it was there...in relationship to everything else.
    I miss Disney World...
    Check out my Disney Cruise Trip Report...lots of photos being added: http://micechat.com/forums/disney-cr...ey-wonder.html

Amazing article Werner, your stuff just keeps getting better! Thank you for all your hard work.

If anyone wants to see photos of the "Removal" and "Descruction" of the old Pirate Ship, check out my post from last year. Be warned, its SAD...

(****Pirate Ship removal Post****)

To view old Disneyland and Theme park tickets, visit my blog at:

http://vintagedisneylandtickets.blogspot.com/

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

You're right - very very sad!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where it was exactly. I know it said that Dumbo is there now, but you can't see Cinderella's castle from Dumbo can you?
    The 1955 model shows where the Pirate Ship used to be located. It became the new location of Dumbo during the New Fantasyland project.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    Maybe it's because the trees have grown or something, but I'm having trouble seeing clearly where it was when it was there...in relationship to everything else.
    I took the 1974 photo of the Pirate Ship (with Cinderella's castle in Storybook Land in the background) that's in my Pirate Ship article from the Skyway. Even in 1974, I don't think you would have seen Cinderella's castle from the ground level.

Trees and hedges hide Cinderella's castle. The photo below is from 2004:

Last edited by Werner Weiss; 03-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Minion

The next thing that needs to come back after Lincoln... Pirate Ship & Skull Rock.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Is it true that some of the ship's deck ended up in the Peter Pan's Flight attraction?
    Rigging, not the deck itself. I've seen pics of the wood quite destroyed and in pieces.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The next thing that needs to come back after Lincoln... Pirate Ship & Skull Rock.

They should rebuild a new Pirate Ship Restaurant in the old Motorboat area, and get rid of some of those ugly carts near the old motor boat entrance area. Of course that would afford them them the opportunity to get rid of Village House restaurant, and build a new dark ride, in the style of Mr Toad, Pinnoch, Snow, and Pan. The new Fantasyland dark ride - Well it really should be one of the older classic, I would prefer it themed to 101 Dalmatians, where you ride in a Cruella Car racing around, chasing the Dalmatians! A second possibility could maybe go to The Aristocats, where you would ride in something that looks like a motorcycle and a sidecar (with modifications to make really be sitting side by side.) really though, Dalmatians would have a wider variety of scenes, from the park, to the church, to the house, to the country, to the Mansion, to the countryside with snow, and the jazzy music would be a great addition, the look of the movie would even fit in well with the other movies, with a few quick race scenes like Mr Toad, closer up sets, and the old fashioned feel that the other Fantasyland Dark rides have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12