Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: May 28, 2009: Virgin Megastore

Quote Originally Posted by Tacobob View Post
    I hope the rumors about the building being turned into an Imax theater(s) for AMC are true.
    They're not

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    It's funny, though. One moment everyone despises those big box stores, the next we mourn over their loss. Don't it always seem to go, I guess.
    While I honestly didn't buy anything from Virgin Megastore, I know some of the reasons people didn't like them was due to elevated prices. It does seem strange that only 10-15 years ago I was buying CD's (or recording songs off the radio to cassette).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    They're not
    Source? I know AMC has plans to make an Imax theater, but if they don't snatch up Virgin, they'll probably just convert some of their old theaters. I just hope they fill it up soon, or there will be more empties that will pop up soon in DTD.

• Epcot's my fave park!

RIP virgin. it was such an awesome store. too bad it closed before my trip in july. (16th-18th) anyone wanna meet me let me know
    Epcot rocks! I luv Capt Jack Sparrow, alongside Will & Elizabeth!
    twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
    myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
    Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
    youtube.com/svhwdwnut

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very good article, I always liked visiting the Disneyworld store as well as the one here in SF.....sad to see them shut down permanently. Bad stuff.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

First Tower Records here in Anaheim closed, relocated to Buena Park where it had a short stay and then just closed. And Tower was like a real live version of the movie Empire Records.

And then the Virgin at the Block of Orange closed as well, and I thought it was because Mills bought out the block and Virgin didn't want a store there anymore. I know the one in Caesars in Vegas has been closed for many years now.

Now there's just Best Buy and FYE (For Your Entertainment). Where's everyone going to buy music now? Online? This is pathetic!!!

• A Weather Eye Open

I was about 11 when I bought my first CD. I had had a few cassette tapes before that, I think. But I never really got into buying CDs... when I was young I bought maybe one or two. I instead borrowed my mom's and my sister's CDs, and as soon as we got a computer that burned CD copies, I would borrow CDs from others and burn them. I like all my music in digital format now; I get copies of music I like from friends and my sister, who download a lot more music than I do. I download a little bit of music like Broadway cast albums, stuff that my friends don't have. Overall though, I don't have a HUGE amount of music, and I can't really say I listen to what I have much.

It's just interesting for me to see this transformation in an industry that I never really participated in much. In general I just don't buy music, and even if I couldn't download it, I still don't think I would buy it. I didn't get any new music for years.
    It's kind of crazy to see these huge stores suddenly close though! I knew people who had tons of CDs, books and books of them, and they must have put so much money into those little disks. I won't miss bix CD megastores at all; I've never bought anything from them. And it seems like the music industry is crumbling, but maybe it's just changing. There's money in concerts, etc, and iTunes is of course doing a roaring business.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12