Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• FastPass n00b

Re: June 26, 2009: Captain EO

What a great tribute to the incredible entertainment legend. Captain EO was my favorite ride in the 1980's and early 1990's. I *never* left the park without seeing this show during this time. I loved its energy and optimism, it always left you feeling good after the show ended. The in-theater effects were amazing too, let alone for 1986. Laser blasts, smoke and the incredible starfield in the very beginning always made the show unbelievable.

I am not a big fan of 3D or 4D shows today... they are all the same. Cheap attempts at tricking the audience or getting them wet and lame jokes that went out of style decades ago, and even then weren't really that funny. But Captain EO, not only was it decades ahead of its time, it was still an incredible show right up until the day they pulled the plug.

ONLY Michael Jackson could've pulled this project off, and I mean that with all sincerity. His vibrant energy, commanding presence and incredible music could never be matched by anyone then or now. Captain EO always had a huge effect on my visits to Disneyland and really created a major part of what made those visits as a kid so special.

And in tribute to Michael Jackson, his loss has been a lot more painful than I originally expected. It is as if I lost a favorite uncle or something and even though I can go on functioning, I often find myself incredibly sad and shaken up at times. Normally when a celebrity dies, I'm like "Oh man, I can't believe it" and then move on without a second thought. But Michael's passing has not only been an emotional experience, I REALLY feel like I've lost someone special in my life, even though I never met him. His music wasn't just something I listened to for a few years, it was a part of my life ever since I was in a stroller. His death has changed my life a little bit and that's something that no other celebrity has even come close to doing. I always wondered what it would've been like to be around when Walt Disney died, but now I'm not so sure that a legend's death is what I expected it to be. It's *incredibly* painful.

May Michael Jackson be given all the gifts and happiness that he gave the entire world for so long... He will be missed.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-26-2009 at 11:39 PM.

• Disneyland History Lover

I first watched Captain EO a few years ago on YouTube. Unfortunately I never got the chance to see it at Disneyland in 3D. Werner... I appreciate you putting this up again in memory of Michael Jackson. He was an amazing person that inspired me ever since I was a child. I've always looked up to him and he's been a big part of my life ever since I bought my very first album when I was nine years old... Thriller. I'm still in complete shock about what has happened. I can't believe it. People pass on all the time... celebrities or not. But Michael Jackson seemed like the one guy who would live forever. His death has really hit me hard... it's been hard to be genuinely happy the last couple days. I felt ill as soon as I heard the news. Even though I never got to meet him or see him live, which was always a dream of mine, it feels like an immediate family member of mine is now gone. I hope Disney puts Captain EO back in the Magic Eye Theater... at least for a limited time. The fog effects and whatnot aren't necessary. Just a basic 3D film will be perfectly fine. Michael deserves that.

• Banned User

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Bring it on!

I remember watching this as a child at disneyland. The supreme leader really scared me with her long clicky finger nails. I have always thought one unpublicised midnight showing when the park is open that late would be perfect.

• Returning to DL 2/29

No way to explain it but Magic Eye Theater will always live at Disneyland
    I'm back and now what!

followme on Twiiter @hurricanefreak

• Banned User

WOW! thanks for posting that video. I remember seeing Captain EO a few times as a kid. Thanks for bringing back the memories!!

As for bringing the show back, I'm all for it, even if they don't do ALL the effects. However, I would hope that they at least do the fog effect that shoots out when the spaceship crashes. That should be easy enough to install and program. Just seeing the show again in 3-D at Disneyland would be a good enough tribute for me.

AND IF YOU BRING IT BACK, PLEASE HAVE IT SHOWING FOR ONLY 1 YEAR! NO MORE NO LESS! That'll give as many of the MJ and Captain EO fans time enough to see it and not overstay it's welcome. AND, it will give you an opportunity to have some sort of transition to a new attraction. (that was for the Disney suits, if they happen to see this). ;-)

The world has lost one of it's finest entertainers. Rest in Peace Michael.

I say bring it back. I don't really think it would be that expensive. EO did not have all the 4-D effects that the theatres now have. Laser technology is really not that expensive anymore. Millions? Hardly. Too many cheap clubs and concert events I have been to utilize lasers now. EO had a fiber optic star field, lasers, and fog to compliment the movie. They can keep the motion based seats from Honey to rock you at key moments. I don't think the reinstallation of laser and fog effects would be prohibitively expensive. I would be forgiving if they skipped the fiber optic stars.

as an alternative.... how about releasing it in DVD/Blue Ray, complete with 3-D view option. No sure if the technology could be modified to work at home like some other 3D dvds do, but I would be a buyer, thats for sure.

I'm all for bringing the show back and like the suggestion made earlier of making it for a limited time only. Unfortunatley for fans of the show, I don't think this will ever happen because of Jackson's personal life and controversies to put it gently. Disney is too image conscious to ever allow a return of Captian EO.

I love the show and have fond memories of seeing it as a kid, but for alot of individuals, seperating Jackson's professional life from his personal is out of the question.

I enjoy watching the show on Youtube and a possible DVD release of the film is not out of the question but as far as Disney's involvment in bringing it back I think that is highly unlikely.

• Greetings, Program!

If anything at all happens, it will be a DVD release. Way more cost-effective than prepping the Magic Eye Theater.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

I completely agree! I wear a "Team Bring Back Captain EO" on my backpack while in the park (it was worn during the Gumball Rally), and every time I run into an employee, they say "YES! BRING IT BACK!" Then, they tell me that the projector used for the 3-D stuff is damaged and can't be fixed and yadayadayada.

Oh Captain, my Captain.

Cool Re: June 26, 2009: Captain EO

Quote Originally Posted by Katella Gate View Post
    As I recall, Capt. Eo was the first and best of the movie-attractions. Even after repeated screenings, I never left disappointed. If only the subsequent movie-rides were as good...
    I was really young when I saw captain EO, probably in '92. I remember that I loved the spacey theme and I was absolutely mystified. Details of the memory are quite fuzzy. Is there any chance that a DVD is available somewhere? I would love to revisit this old Michael Jackson memory.
    RIP MJ

Wink Re: June 26, 2009: Captain EO

I think if enough people demanded a return, they'd be crazy not to bring it back. They could probably make a small fortune in doing so, not that they need the money. But with they're rediculously high ticket prices, hotel prices, parking fees, and the sales of souvenirs, I think they could forget about the possibility of bad press for doing so. There are petitions online to try and get their attention. petitionspot.com/petitions/captaineo and petitionspot.com/petitions/mj2009 just to name a few. Just remember, nothing can be accomplished if we don't at least try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12