• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 20, 2009: The All-New Woody’s Roundup

"Brought to you by Cowboy Crunchies, sugar frosted and double dipped in chocolate!"

Yesterland take another look at The All-New Woody’s Roundup, which ran from November 1999 until July 2000.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• A-NET-FAN

Re: August 20, 2009: The All-New Woody’s Roundup

I wonder if they would ever consider bringing back the original Golden Horseshoe Revue show or something similar to it? It looks like it was a similar show to WDWs Hooptie Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness.

• All-American

Good article!

Hey Werner, could we see a post about the Golden Horseshoe Revue sometime in the near future? It'd be interesting to learn more about it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

The Golden Horseshoe Revue is one of the glaring omissions at Yesterland.

One problem is that I don't have guest photos of the show. Back in the days of the Golden Horseshoe Revue, guests used cameras and film that were great for outdoor shots, but usually incapable of capturing the stage and performers at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon.

Does anyone have photos?

As far as the Golden Horseshoe Revue returning, I would love to see it, but I don't expect it. With its cast of featured performers, dancers, and musicians, it would be an expensive show to revive.

At least Disneyland still has live entertainment in the Golden Horseshoe Saloon. The Magic Kingdom's Diamond Horseshoe Saloon is used as a sandwich shop (or as temporary table service restaurant during the free Disney Dining Plan), without any entertainment on its stage.
    Werner Weiss

• Infinitized!

As good as the Hillbillies are, I'd like to see the Golden Horeshoe Revue return. If only they could find someone as talanted as Wally Boag.

• FastPass n00b

I would LOVE to see the Golden Horseshoe Revue return! It was the best balance of Wild West and Disney. Woody and friends is WAY too "Disney" and the Billy Hill thing is just too Wild West. I have the utmost respect for Werner and I really mean that, but stating that Woody and friends don't seem out of place in Frontierland just rubs me the wrong way. Toy Story has genericized the theming in a majority of Tomorrowland and a couple places in Frontierland. It makes believable and well-thought out themes into kiddie areas that are more cartoon than reality and takes you completely out of the fantasy of "enhanced reality" that Disneyland tries so hard to produce. I kind of understand what Werner is saying here, but in my opinion Woody will NEVER fit into Frontierland, just as Buzz does not fit into Tomorrowland, even for as much as Disney tries to shove him into there.

On a side note, DCA doesn't seem to suffer as much from their Pixarification or cartoon overload because, quite frankly, *anything* is an improvement over what was there. I don't mind the Pixarification of DCA (although I wish they would at least try and be more creative) but Disneyland and Pixar need to remain completely separate, except for a couple walk-around characters and a float or two in a parade.

• Poor chicken!

Wow, memories! Great write up. I must have seen this show 200 times as a CM working there. Great, now I have that song stuck in my head!
    Woody's Roundup, right here every day
    Woody's Roundup, come on it's time to play
    hehehehe

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    but stating that Woody and friends don't seem out of place in Frontierland just rubs me the wrong way. Toy Story has genericized the theming in a majority of Tomorrowland and a couple places in Frontierland. It makes believable and well-thought out themes into kiddie areas that are more cartoon than reality and takes you completely out of the fantasy of "enhanced reality" that Disneyland tries so hard to produce.
    In the article, I was commenting on why a television studio in the Golden Horseshoe wasn't as out-of-place as it might initially seem.

On the larger issue of putting Disney and Pixar characters into every land, I agree completely. In 1955, Walt Disney had Fantasyland to bring Disney shorts and features to life. The rest of the park put guests into the places and times that those lands represented.

Now the decision makers at Disney seem to feel that it's good business to infuse Disney characters into all parts of all parks at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World. That might please some park guests, but it ultimately weakens the parks.

Many of us became childhood fans of Disneyland because of utterly unique attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. With today's thinking, those attractions would probably never have been approved.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 08-21-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    Werner Weiss

I know this is silly, but did anybody else notice that JessIe's name was misspelled throughout the article?

Jesse is like the male spelling, whereas Jessie is the female equivalent. Or maybe that's the Full House influence on my views. But really, the Princess of the Prairie's name is spelled with that I in there.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    I know this is silly, but did anybody else notice that JessIe's name was misspelled throughout the article?
    Thank you for catching that!

I spelled her name Jessie 3 times and Jesse 5 times. (That's embarrassing.) Now all 8 instances are spelled Jessie.
    Werner Weiss

Be glad that Disneyland at least has some kind of show at the Diamond Horseshoe. WDW's Diamond Horseshoe is just an empty shell. Sure would be good to get some kind of show back.

Perhaps, soon, you can spare John Lasseter so that he may spend some time here on the east coast and, perhaps, add his pixie dust to our rapidly deteriorating resort.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy visiting, but it is no where, and I do mean "NO WHERE" near what it once was! I've been visiting regularly since 71'. Enjoyed the resurgence in the 80's and early 90's only to see the parks regress and decay.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning509s View Post
    Be glad that Disneyland at least has some kind of show at the Diamond Horseshoe. WDW's Diamond Horseshoe is just an empty shell. Sure would be good to get some kind of show back.
    I agree.

The following article has three photos of the Diamond Horseshoe earlier this year:

Yester World: Reminders of Defunct Magic Kingdom Attractions
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I agree.

The following article has three photos of the Diamond Horseshoe earlier this year:

Yester World: Reminders of Defunct Magic Kingdom Attractions
    Thanks Werner for keeping the memories alive of cherished attractions, shows and events that no longer grace the Disney properties. It's a great joy for us "rapidly aging adolescents' to walk down memory lane and revisit our childhoods even if it is only through our imagination and emotions!

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Thank you for catching that!

I spelled her name Jessie 3 times and Jesse 5 times. (That's embarrassing.) Now all 8 instances are spelled Jessie.

Thank you for that! I don't know why, but I always get a bit annoyed when people spell the characters' names wrong. Another common misspell is "Burt."

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

This show was there when we took our niece for the first time (she was 2). I thought it was cool how they made it look like the old black & white TV show on stage.

In response to Golden Horseshoe Revue, I wish I could remember seeing Wally Boag (and appreciating his performance). I was too young to pay attention to that sort of thing at the time. Unfortunately Werner, I do not have any pics of it.
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com