Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• He-Queen of the World.

Re: September 10, 2009: Golden Dreams

i never had the opportunity to see this show in person, but the youtube hand held videos of this attraction make me kinda sad its gone, the film was beautiful and Ms. Goldburg performed brilliantly. The theme of Califia guiding significant historical events in California really brought the whole thing together, though i can see where other areas of the attraction failed to attract. The lack of preshow and other signature Disney touches are probably what led to this attractions demise... heres to hoping that the idea could eventually be re-imagineered.
    Maleficent is to Dragon, as Icarian is to Roary West... only I don't need a hydraulic lift to make my magic happen.

"cinnamon toast and tacos, por favor" -The guy in front of me last time i saw Remember! Dreams Come True.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Say what you will - I get a tear in my eye every time I watch that show in the Studios. But I agree - the show wouldn't have legs in DL, where the frequent AP visitor brings on quicker show burnout.
    Hmm, perhaps "mediocre" was a little harsh. I really liked it too - until I saw the Broadway version. That show redefined Disney stage shows, at least before the Lion King came along. Now the DHS version seems rushed and too-movie based - 20 minutes vs. the Broadway's 2.5 hours.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 09-10-2009 at 08:16 PM.

I saw the show once and remember enjoying it. I just never got around to seeing it again. I would've liked to have seen it one more time before it left. It's been years since I saw it (I didn't even remember the rather bemusing Steve Jobs gilding, it's been so long, I do remember the railroad part though). Anyone know if they destroyed or preserved the mural? I know it was the last to come down.

• Dream in wonderful color!

I'm still bitter about the removal of Golden Dreams. A beautiful movie, a wonderful soundtrack - to me it symbolized the core and spirit of the park. I will miss it, along with the Seasons of the Vine show (especially the music)

the original DCA soundtrack had some of the best original musical pieces. sigh

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Now the DHS version seems rushed and too-movie based - 20 minutes vs. the Broadway's 2.5 hours.
    I haven't seen the Broadway show, but I agree that the park show is very rushed, with narrator David Ogden Stiers saying stuff like "through a series of circumstances Belle found herself trapped in the castle", etc. I'm sure everyone in the crowd knows the story, but still it would have been nice to have it developed a bit more.

But when Belle whispers to the Beast "I love you", chills and misty eyes for this ol' Texan!

I for one thought that Golden Dreams gave DCA at least a little heart.
    I first saw the film during a Passholder preview day at the park, and saw a slightly different version of the film than what was shown when the park opened.
    I know of one scene that was altered because it felt the images were too heavy for a Disney property. I understand there had been another change before I saw the film regarding the native americans in an early scene.
    I will miss Golden Dreams. I hope it will be around again in some form.

This show will be missed... I never goot to see it and I guess I never will, but I hope someday they'll release thee source video on DVD... It really was an amazing attraction, I hope they put it somewhere in the park... maybe just in a small theater wedged in between two attractions? Or maybe they could at least play the song "Just one dream" after World of Color... kinda like they do with the original attraction songs in epcot after illuminations...

It's good to know the Palace of Fine Arts was restored. I believe the buildings for the 1893 Worlds Fair held in Chicago were also made from the same process of plaster and cloth.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    ... kinda like they do with the original attraction songs in epcot after illuminations...
    Well, not to be picky, but there are two pieces of music that play after Epcot's IllumiNations, and neither of them is from an original attraction. The first song is The Promise, which was written to be the chaser song for the parade. And then they go into the music track from the now defunct Tapestry of Nations, the parade that went around the World Showcase during Epcot's Millenium Celebration around the turn of the century. Great music, though!

"Golden Dreams" was a creative and enjoyable film experience. I have heard some people say that the montage and music that ends the film were the best they had ever seen and heard. I have to agree. Please-please-please consider making the film available on DVD so we can continue to enjoy it.

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

Thank you for posting this Werner! (I am also bummed that I missed meeting you at the expo)
    I loved Golden Dreams, and like a true sap, I teared up every time. (I also miss the Seasons of the Vine)
    Fortunately, Subsonic has audio of Just One Dream, as well as an audio of the entire show...that's where I get my fix. ( they also have Seasons of the Vine music)
    I also hope that it is released on DVD someday.
    Last edited by mmeleota; 09-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

• Californian Fox-Wolf

I only saw this once on accident on 2003. Loved it, and forgot about it until last year. Didn't go on it then as it everyone in my group didn't want to see a 'documentary about California'. Funny thing is that when I was reading this article back on Friday, my modem died just when I was done reading, and I couldn't get a replacement until Monday. I guess you can say Califia killed my modem.
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

Amazing! The Golden Dreams is a beautiful concept.

• Banned User

I saw the film either once or twice, definitely on my last visit to DCA (2005). It was actually one of the most memorable aspects of my visit to DCA, and as a native Californian coming back home for a visit, I have to say that I appreciated and enjoyed it quite a bit. I, too, lament its demise at the park, and I also would love to see it become available on DVD (including the in-theater talking Califia heads).

It wasn't one of the most thorough or comprehensive historical docudramas of California history ever made, especially so given its brief length, but it was very nicely done, and it deserves to be able to find its audience. Teachers throughout California are no doubt devastated that it's gone.

Oh, I had no idea the theater was torn down! I really did like Golden Dreams--I'd watch it during every visit. I only ever rode the ferris wheel once, seeing it as a cheap fair ride, while this movie was the most Disney-quality attraction at the back of the park. But then again, I'm kind of a nerd and can understand that most people don't want history lessons while at a theme park.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast