Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• ...my first visit to DL

Re: September 24, 2009: Then and Now: Main Street and the Castle

Sweet - I totally agree - thanks Werner for doing the comparison shots for us - and I'm looking forward to more as well...

Awesome article.

I have never thought about it before, but by comparing pictures, the trees behind the castle blow it's scale off. Looking at the castle with no trees in the 1950s picture, the castle down at the end of Main Street looks imposingly large. From the very same angle in 2009, with trees behind, it looks much, much smaller.

It makes perfect sense now that I think about it. When there are two items side-by-side and one of the objects is a familiar subject with a relative height, the familiar determines the scale and size for all the things around it.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• A-NET-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I assume that the reason was to make Sleeping Beauty Castle more colorful and inviting than when it was shades of gray. I believe the colors were first changed in 1983.
    Thanks for the information Werner. Much appreciated..

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

These are great and bring back so many memories. I have no idea why my Dad never took actual photographs when we went back then. We have some OK home movies but I wish he had taken photos too.

• Circle of Ancients

I LOVE these "Then and Now" photo updates. So awesome, and you captured pretty much the same shots all the way around.

I will say, the jokes about the castle being "small" sure don't apply in 1955 as it's really the scale of the surrounding trees that make the castle look so tiny these days.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

love the comparative photos! its really neat to see how things have changed (or haven't changed) over the years.
    anyone know what happened to the swans in the castle moat? I can't even remember the last time I'd even seen them there /=

I like the original castle colors better.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    So true... I liked the grass and the less full trees... It made the place look more open and inviting...
    Check out my other blog:

• A-NET-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    So true... I liked the grass and the less full trees... It made the place look more open and inviting...
    Thats interesting that you say that. Not too long ago when it was brought up on here about the Treese being removed from around Cinderellas Castle at WDW...if I remember right it was met with some dismay. I like the castle being more open and visible...and it certainly makes it look bigger and more on scale

Of course just replacing the old trees with smaller trees would be the best senerio IMO

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Agreed.

As Bruce Gordon and David Mumford wrote so eloquently, there needs to be a "veneer" of reality in order for the fantasy to be believable. The Castle's earlier color scheme (which I believe was changed at a later date than 1983), made the Castle seem like it was built with actual, real stone blocks. It seemed "real." The newer color scheme, which many describe as "Barbie Dream House" colors, may appeal to 5-year-old "princesses," but certainly do not convey any sense of realism.

The same goes for the colors on Main Street. The original color pallete was more colorful in the past, as we can see, but it was also more authentic. Just as the more period-appropriate flags noticed by aduecey help the feel of Main Street.

Thank you, Werner, for taking the time to do this. I know it must have been a challenge, but I am amazed at how close every shot is compared to its "original." Lining everything up so precisely must have taken some serious effort.

• Senior Minion

Thanks for a most excellent Yesterland entry, Werner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    As Bruce Gordon and David Mumford wrote so eloquently, there needs to be a "veneer" of reality in order for the fantasy to be believable. The Castle's earlier color scheme (which I believe was changed at a later date than 1983), made the Castle seem like it was built with actual, real stone blocks. It seemed "real." The newer color scheme, which many describe as "Barbie Dream House" colors, may appeal to 5-year-old "princesses," but certainly do not convey any sense of realism.

The same goes for the colors on Main Street. The original color pallete was more colorful in the past, as we can see, but it was also more authentic. Just as the more period-appropriate flags noticed by aduecey help the feel of Main Street.
    Bingo.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

LOVE the photos! It was neat to see how the same trees are there (or so it seems) and that the grassy areas are now enclosed with fencing. (I guess in the 50's, people were more respectful of those grassy areas?) Great photos!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I assume that the reason was to make Sleeping Beauty Castle more colorful and inviting than when it was shades of gray. I believe the colors were first changed in 1983.
    Werner, the 1993 souvenir guidebook I have shows the castle still in its muted gray, more-authentic color scheme. It was definitely re-painted sometime in the mid-1990s, when the rest of Main Street also was repainted, losing much of its charm and authenticity in the process.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-28-2009 at 09:58 AM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    ...when the rest of Main Street also was repainted, losing much of ist charm and authenticity in the process.
    Courtesy of the same art direction geniuses who brought you the rustbucket brown of Tomorrowland '98, Main Street's "mauve & teal" color scheme was right out of 90's California shopping mall Toys-R-Us stores. Hey, gotta put those hordes of eager shoppers in the right buying-mood for the crappified Main St. merch, y'know.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Courtesy of the same art direction geniuses who brought you the rustbucket brown of Tomorrowland '98, Main Street's "mauve & teal" color scheme was right out of 90's California shopping mall Toys-R-Us stores. Hey, gotta put those hordes of eager shoppers in the right buying-mood for the crappified Main St. merch, y'know.

Bingo!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast