Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

October 1, 2009: Erasing Wonders of Life

Wonders of Life at Epcot closed forever on New Years Day 2007. The golden domed pavilion reopened in fall 2007 for the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival as the Festival Center—with plenty of evidence of the pavilion’s former use. Now in its third year as the Festival Center, that evidence has been erased.

Please discuss it here.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 10-01-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Cool Re: October 1, 2009: Erasing Wonders of Life

Truly and honestly, I don't think Wonders of Life was a very good pavilion. It always reminded me of a dated version of the local Science Museum. Idea = good. Cranium Command = good. Everything else was mediocre to lame, set with all the atmosphere and charm of a late '80s shopping mall.

That said, I would still hope to see attractions back in there one day. Health is certainly something that should be discussed, particularly as our nation tries to figure out how to reform our health insurance problem. While our nation has the best doctors, hospitals, medical advances, and breakthroughs, we still have huge problems with obesity, addiction, proper exercise, etc. All of which are very much EPCOT topics.

Given this current political climate, one would think that a health insurance provider would want to sponsor a pavilion such as this to make themselves not look quite as merciless as our current administration has been portraying them.

• All Disney, All the Time

Re: October 1, 2009: Erasing Wonders of Life

I actually kind of miss Body Wars. Yes, it was the same ride as Star Tours, but with different theming and movie; yes, it was more intense and had a bigger queazy factor, but it was still a fun and exciting ride that I only got to experience once. Cranium Command was fun, but it would be horribly dated now. The rest of the pavillion was pretty forgettable (for me anyway). Still I would have liked it to be maintained and updated rather than turned into a lecture hall....Sigh....

• Shopping With You

I never liked Body Wars much, it seemed to me that it just shook you instead of any fancy movement like Star Tours did/does.

However, I still liked to check out Cranium Command on every visit until it closed.

But yeah, the Wonders of Life pavillion was a fairly weak offering overall, in my opinion.

• A-NET-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadoe View Post
    Truly and honestly, I don't think Wonders of Life was a very good pavilion. It always reminded me of a dated version of the local Science Museum. Idea = good. Cranium Command = good. Everything else was mediocre to lame, set with all the atmosphere and charm of a late '80s shopping mall.

That said, I would still hope to see attractions back in there one day. Health is certainly something that should be discussed, particularly as our nation tries to figure out how to reform our health insurance problem. While our nation has the best doctors, hospitals, medical advances, and breakthroughs, we still have huge problems with obesity, addiction, proper exercise, etc. All of which are very much EPCOT topics.

Given this current political climate, one would think that a health insurance provider would want to sponsor a pavilion such as this to make themselves not look quite as merciless as our current administration has been portraying them.
    I agree with you. I never really enjoyed this pavilion and what it had to offer. Cranium Command was fun like you said but the rest left me underwhelmed. I really dont feel any sadness for the things that were lost here but I do wish that the space would be re imagineered into something with higher quality offerings such as what THE LAND offers. HEY maybe they should bring Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit back (not food rocks please) and put it in here!
    What do you think???
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYQFtQwJQw"]YouTube - Kitchen Kabaret (part one)[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRy1r1wxTw"]YouTube - Kitchen Kabaret (part two)[/ame]

Thank you warner for the pictures. It is nice to see what that space looks like now.
    Last edited by a-net-fan; 10-01-2009 at 06:52 AM.

• Keeping Disney Solvent

Cranium Command was the best. As far as I know, it was the only accurate portrayal and inside story of a pre-teen boy's feelings for girls (which made my wife laugh every time she saw it.)

Thank you for the past and present photos.

Werner, thanks again for your efforts at preserving and showcasing WDW's past. Sadly, we always passed by this pavilion, always with the intent of catching it later in our trip, only we never did. Looks like now, we never will.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Werner, thanks again for your efforts at preserving and showcasing WDW's past. Sadly, we always passed by this pavilion, always with the intent of catching it later in our trip, only we never did. Looks like now, we never will.
    I'm not sure if you (or any folks here) know about MouseBits, but Martin Smith has an excellent and in-depth tribute to the Wonders of Life Pavilion which you can download:

Wonders of Life - Martins Ultimate Tribute - 1 of 2
    Wonders of Life - Martins Ultimate Tribute - 2 of 2

It contains footage of all the attractions within the pavilion, a history of the pavilion including mock-ups and things which never came to be, as well as a history detailing the demise of the pavilion. A very good watch. Curl up on the sofa late one night with a bowl of popcorn and a beer... and enjoy!

What I'd really like to know is what still lies in the show buildings for Body Wars and Cranium Command. I have a good feeling we'll find out in 2010 when Disney opens them up as seminar halls and what not...

My understanding is that the attractions are still there... albeit partially demolished. Body Wars is cannibalized for Star Tours parts as needed, and my understanding is they use a simulator for testing the new Star Tours II.

Cranium Command is still also back there, collecting dust.

Disney isn't going to do anything with these giant spaces unless they need to. My guess is that the Star Tours space isn't all that useful anyways, as they'd need to build a real floor and remove the simulators.

I personally don't understand why they don't use the old Millennium Village for this event, as it's newer, more generic, and closer to the World Showcase where most of the food and wine events are taking place.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Angry Re: October 1, 2009: Erasing Wonders of Life

My understanding is that the attractions are still there... albeit partially demolished. Body Wars is cannibalized for Star Tours parts as needed, and my understanding is they use a simulator for testing the new Star Tours II.

Cranium Command is still also back there, collecting dust.

Disney isn't going to do anything with these giant spaces unless they need to. My guess is that the Star Tours space isn't all that useful anyways, as they'd need to build a real floor and remove the simulators.

I personally don't understand why they don't use the old Millennium Village for this event, as it's newer, more generic, and closer to the World Showcase where most of the food and wine events are taking place.
    I argee(Why can't they use Millennium Village?)
    Also, what were they thinking for puting "Seasons Of The Vine" in the "Making Of Me" Theater?(It would make a lot more sense to put it in The LAND.)
    As to what A-Net-Fan said of puting "Kitchen Kabaret" in Wonders Of Life, Yes! Please put it in!(All they[Disney] would have to do, is make some space for it!) Sorry for ing.

Timekeeper.

• Shopping With You

I loved Kitchen Kabaret as a kid, and I'd love to see it return.

• Captain EO! :D

Interesting pictures. I did like the Wonders of Life pavilion as a whole, but I am not sad in the least about the permanent closure of Body Wars. That's the only Disney attraction I ever truly hated.
    ----------------------------------------

Jennifer

• Shopping With You

Quote Originally Posted by LucyintheSky View Post
    That's the only Disney attraction I ever truly hated.
    I think it got the strongest negative reaction for a Disney attraction from me as well.

lolz @
    set with all the atmosphere and charm of a late '80s shopping mall.
    You hit the nail on the head there! No matter what era of the pics above your looking at one thing holds true and thats a tragically bland enviornment. Is this really the same company that gave us Disneyland?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast