Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• A-NET-FAN

Re: October 22, 2009: Disneyland Then and Now: Frontierland

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Most of the time I'll prefer the current versions, just because DL has had over 50 years to grow some of those trees and shrubs and plants. Most areas look much more filled in than in the olden days.
    I agree for the most part only in a cosmetic way. Just think how much has been lost on Main Street....that isnt as noticable like the Penny Arcade for example. Although Main Street may look just as nice if not nicer today....I think it has suffered some over the years at its core. Same with TSI. That is one example where I think it looked better in the past. Look at that fort rising from the distance and the rockwork. Its beautiful. Nothing really draws your attention to the island and I still say the Fantasmic area looks awful. That area has really suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    What's really amazing is how you find almost the exact spot someone was standing 50 years ago to take the same shot. The framing is practically identical.
    I agree! I was very impressed how the new shots were taken almost identically to the old shot. You must have had the old photos with you as a reference when taking the new ones. How long did it take to set up the shot to be so exact?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Lux1972 View Post
    I agree! I was very impressed how the new shots were taken almost identically to the old shot. You must have had the old photos with you as a reference when taking the new ones. How long did it take to set up the shot to be so exact?
    I printed the "then" photos "2-up" on printer paper. I took several shots for each "now" photo from slightly different locations and/or with the zoom set to different focal lengths.

In most cases, I took the shots fairly quickly. I had to wait a long time for the Monorail. Only Monorail Red was running, but that was good because the 1959 photo was of the Mark I Monorail Red. Fortunately, I took the shot at almost the perfect moment.

The main thing was to capture a slightly larger view. That way, I cold crop the images so that the edges would match reasonably well.

I had some vintage photos of the Mark Twain, but it wasn't operating when I was there in September 2009. And it won't be operating again the next time I'm at Disneyland because they probably won't be done with the work on the drained Rivers of America. Some day!

A kind Yesterland reader recently sent a bunch of photos (primarily from the 1960s) to me. I hope I'll be able to put together at least one more "then and now" photo essay in the future.

Also, another wonderful Yesterland reader sent some terrific code to me that allows the photos to occupy the same frame, with controls to slide back and forth between them. (I'm not describing it well.) For this to work best, the photos need to be even more closely matched.

Unfortunately, there's now something wrong with the zoom on my Canon G7 camera, and it's now very hard to set the zoom accurately (except for zooming all the way in or out).
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12