On October 13, 2009 I took advantage of DL’s 'Free Entrance On Your Birthday’. This trip was very special for me. 54 years earlier to the day, my parents had taken me on my first visit to Disneyland for my 4th birthday. I only have a few vague and hazy recollections of that particular day; the outer parking lots were as yet fully paved and I still recall the ‘crunch’ of loose gravel beneath my feet as our family walked toward the entrance. I do remember the 20K Leagues Exhibit as my brother and I had climbed under the railing and hid behind the props! I also remember the smells… back then there were a lot of horses and mules in the park. I mean a LOT (hence, the smells). Having spent most of my life in Southern California, I have visited the park more times than I can remember and thanks to the memory jogging of Warner's Yesterland, I feel fairly certain that over the years I have probably ridden every ride that Disneyland has had to offer. No small accomplishment. But there is one thing that hasn’t changed. The magic. It’s palpable. People who wouldn’t otherwise give you the time of day outside the berm are as warm and friendly as your next-door neighbor inside the park. Why is that?