Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Mortals pay a token fee.

Re: Help Needed: Mystery Buildings at Disney's Hollywood Studios and DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Here's a screenshot of Mel's Drive-In restaurant in American Graffitiin Wikipedia:

File:MelsGraffiti.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unlike the round Coca Cola restaurant at DCA, Mel's in the screenshot does not have a tower atop the round roof.
    I think you found a bad picture.

http://www.danheller.com/images/Unit...ive-in-big.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    Wikipedia says it had been closed before the movie shot, so reopened just for the filming of the movie. Then was shortly demolished. Possibly the tower was taken down in between?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I didn't find a bad picture. The link that I posted was a screenshot from the movie American Graffiti (1973). That Mel's was a real building on S. Van Ness Ave. in San Francisco.

The link that you posted is a theme park restaurant at Universal Studios Florida.

Round drive-in restaurants were popular for several decades, and many different ones were built. The question is if the one at DCA was modeled after an actual drive-in restaurant, or if it's just an Imagineer's invention.

Wikipedia says it had been closed before the movie shot, so reopened just for the filming of the movie. Then was shortly demolished. Possibly the tower was taken down in between?
    I don't know why only the tower would be removed.

My guess is that it's unlikely that the DCA structure is based on Mel's on S. Van Ness Ave. in San Francisco, especially because the rest of it doesn't look like Mel's either (except for the round shape).
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    The link that you posted is a theme park restaurant at Universal Studios Florida.
    That would explain why the cars out front are always the same... I think you've already done quite a bit of research on this...

Also stumbled across this:

http://www.lightpictureart.com/lpics..._galaxy_n1.gif

I'm having difficulty finding history in the drive-in though. None of the actual pictures show it with this tower, and the restaurant has gone through SEVERAL re-models. The most recent of which "The intergalactic, retro-futuristic makeover" (IMO is ugly) takes prominence of most of the pictures. Still researching this one, but thought I'd put it out in the mean time.

Edit: Scrap that... the picture and the galaxy-drivein.com website are not related. Seeing if I can find a reference otherwise.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I just updated post #1 in this thread with several "Mystery Solved" notations.

In addition to seeking help from MiceChat readers in this thread, I've also pursued some other avenues to get answers.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 01-15-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I updated post #1 in this thread with another "Mystery Solved" notation. Mystery #16 is solved.

Thank you to everyone who replied publicly or privately to me.
    Werner Weiss

Hey Werner,
    I was at a meeting today in Hollywood at the historic Kress department store, and I looked across the street and thought "wow that looks like one of 'Warner's' Buildings" ...and now I see that it is #16, and that you already know that! Glad to see another mystery has been identified. Here is a (bad) photo of it today (it was raining, so it's a little blurry and dark). That tree is practically blocking the whole thing....I love trees, but it seems like that one could use a trim, and let a little historic Hollywood show through.

Hmmm...sorry, never mind, I guess I can't send you / post my photos? Is that because I am not Micechat "Gold" ? (I am new to posting / rarely post) Too bad, I like architecture and I like this challenge, would have liked to have sent you my photos if they helped.

Not that it matters anymore if I can't send you my photos (!), but I have noticed that several 1920's apartment buildings in my neighborhood have individual features shown in #19....but I have yet to find them all in one package, one building, yet. But I will keep an eye out. Maybe I can tell you where you can see them on Google maps street view....?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

RodeToad,

Thank you!

By the way, the historic Kress on Hollywood Blvd. (which was Frederick's of Hollywood for many years) will be included in a future article at Yesterland comparing Universal Studios Florida façades to the real buildings that inspired them.

If you have the image file on a server somewhere and you have a URL for it, I think you should be able to post it on this forum. You don't have to be a MiceChat Gold member (my MiceChat Gold membership lapsed, and I have not yet renewed, but I can still include images).

I would welcome the addresses or some photos of the 1920s-era apartment buildings in your neighborhood with features like those in #19. I don't know if #19 is based on one specific place or if it's an amalgam based on several different buildings. If it's the latter, you may have discovered the inspirations (or at least buildings with the same features).

You can send the details to me through a MiceChat PM or through e-mail (including attached image files) to [email protected] -- but please make sure the subject line of any e-mail includes "Yesterland" to assure that it makes it past my rather ruthless spam filter.

Thanks again.
    Werner Weiss

• I'm detecting nuttiness.

Werner,

I too still had doubts about Mystery #1, even after I posted about the McGraw-Hill Building. I continued to look for similar buildings in CA but never found any. What made you decide that it was solved?

I have a little time now to devote to looking for more answers, so hopefully I'll get lucky again.
    *Brian*

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
    Werner,

I too still had doubts about Mystery #1, even after I posted about the McGraw-Hill Building. I continued to look for similar buildings in CA but never found any. What made you decide that it was solved?
    I recently received a confirmation through e-mail.

That still raises the question of why a building in New York showed up as a façade on the park's Hollywood Blvd., when there are so many wonderful buildings of that era in Los Angeles County.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
    I have a little time now to devote to looking for more answers, so hopefully I'll get lucky again.
    In that case, in addition to the unsolved ones earlier in this thread, I'll add three more for you — and for anyone else who has ideas.

Mystery 21.

The Tune-In Lounge has a very distinctive 2nd floor ribbon window that turns the corner and curved glass block by the door. Any ideas?

Is the Tune-In Lounge (or at least its second floor) especially similar to one particular structure?

Mystery 22.

The 50s Prime Time Café is supposedly based on the architecture of Neutra, Koenig, and Wright, but it look more like R.M. Schindler to me — the Buck House, the Mackey Apartments, that sort of thing. My guess it's an amalgam (and an expert agrees with me).

Is the 50s Prime Time Café especially similar to one particular structure?

Mystery 23.

The story of why the fictional Sid Cahuenga is using a former house a store in a commercial district is based on the Janes House in Hollywood and other cases where residences turned into stores after residential areas became commercial areas. However, the house itself looks like a Craftsman bungalow, such as those in Pasadena. My guess is that it's an amalgam of features from various houses (and an expert agrees with me).

The roof beams, with their rounded ends, are particularly distinctive. I founds lots of Craftsman bungalows on the Internet, but none with such beams.

Is Sid Cahuenga's place especially similar to one particular structure?

By the way, I have a bunch of other "mysteries solved" (and in some cases, ones that were never mysteries) that were not part of this MiceChat thread, but that will be part of an upcoming series.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 01-30-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Werner Weiss

• Mrs. J. Depp

Mystery 23 reminded me slightly of Northwoods Inn off La Mirada on the 5. That place is older than rocks and pretty iconic. But I can see they look nothing alike other than the wood and rocks.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Johnny and Me!

Mystery 13 is Simon's at Wilshire and Fairfax, Los Angeles.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    Mystery 13 is Simon's at Wilshire and Fairfax, Los Angeles.

Mystery 13.

I also mentioned the possibility of Simon's in post 14 of this thread.

There are similarities, but there are also significant differences.

At this point, my theory is that the Coca Cola location at DCA is am Imagineer's creation based on Simon's and other round eateries with pylon towers.
    Werner Weiss

• Lackey

#14 reminds me very much of the Farmer's Market on Fairfax. It could be based on that.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by WOKcreative View Post
    #14 reminds me very much of the Farmer's Market on Fairfax. It could be based on that.
    Although the Los Angles Farmers Market is on Fairfax, I'm not aware of any buildings within the market with architecture even remotely like "Mystery 14." If I am mistaken, and you have any pictures or links, I would be interested.

The architecture of "Mystery 14" is like something one would see in Old Town Pasadena, but I'm not aware of any building there that matches this mystery building at DCA.

Thank you for responding to this thread.

Mystery 14.

Farmers Market
    Werner Weiss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12