haunted mansion changes

What changes has the HM at DL undergone in its history? I know the attic scene has changed a few times...but how drastically? These kinds of things always interest me...I sometimes wonder if there are any props that have remained untouched throughout the rides history, or if they periodically move things around or change props. I am a purist and tend to think favorably upon leaving things in their original form

Has anyone here experienced the ride in the early 70s?

• Minion

Re: haunted mansion changes

I went to it in the fall of 1969 not long after it opened. In the hallway you walk through after leaving the stretching room, the portraits on the right flashed with the lightning on the left and changed with each flash. They did not change slowly. I think I read they now flash again. The Madame Leota effect was done by projecting a 16 mm film loop onto the head, rather than how it is done now. It was very convincing anyway. The attic was the scariest part of the attraction, there were pop-up ghouls behind several of the suitcases and boxes near the track (I think 5 pop-ups) and they all popped up at the same time, about every 12 or 15 seconds or so. There was a collective shriek of several voices when they did that. There was a bride in the attic but not very prominent and it had a glowing red heart. I have read that the Hatbox Ghost was there in the early days but I don't recall seeing it. The hitchhiking ghosts were there from the beginning, but the ones that ride with you were indistinct wispy ghosts rather than the smiling characters that you see. The characters were added soon after the opening. On the outside queue before you go in, the queue wound around the house itself, at some points you were right next to the windows. There was a small cemetery to the left of the house too, with amusing sayings on the tombstones. The windows of the house were totally dark, but I recall looking in one window as we passed by and seeing an unpainted piece of wood illuminated by some light source I couldn't see. Otherwise the windows were totally dark.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

From when I first saw the HM in 1973, until now, there weren't really that many changes. The biggest change came when Haunted Mansion Holiday 1st started appearing.

The Bride with the red glowing heart was there for a long time. Then Constance redecorated the attic.

Madame Leota's table used to "float". I liked that effect. Then they stopped the moving table. However, Madame Leota's Crystal Ball started floating a few year later..

One of the more notable changes was done by a guest, at the ballroom scene. Disney had to create a "cobweb" to hide damage from a bullet.

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

One of the more notable changes was done by a guest, at the ballroom scene. Disney had to create a "cobweb" to hide damage from a bullet.

It's my understanding that the slab of glass in the ballroom was placed there before the roof was built on the show building. It was lowered into place using a construction helicopter, and that to replace that pane would require removing the roof to lower the new slab. I would say they made the right choice by simply painting the web design. As it is, even long-time guests rarely actually see the hole, though once you do see it, it tends to catch your eye every time!
    Another addition I can think of is the Fastpass kiosk area, which is the coolest of all Fastpass locations in the park. Because it's only open during the HMH season, it too is only rarely seen, though I have seen all sorts of shennanigans going on there from the train as it rolls by.
    I have read that you ride over almost all the holiday overlay gear as you cross the Ballroom.
    A minor change has been the design that was added to the speedramp on the exit ramp. Until only 2 years ago it was basic black with with circles (to catch your eye for safety sake) painted on it. Now it features a more elaborate paint job to sufggest the effect that it is actually a piece of carpet.
    I first visited the Mansion in 1969, and I tioo have no memory of the Hatbox Ghost.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Mr. Ghost

If this helps, there are 6 threads dedicated to what changed in the Haunted Mansion starting here:
    Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

• Not the Fallen

Thanks for posting that, Mr. Fenwright

Quote Originally Posted by stagolee View Post
    What changes has the HM at DL undergone in its history? I know the attic scene has changed a few times...but how drastically? These kinds of things always interest me...I sometimes wonder if there are any props that have remained untouched throughout the rides history, or if they periodically move things around or change props. I am a purist and tend to think favorably upon leaving things in their original form

Has anyone here experienced the ride in the early 70s?
    no i have not ever tried in this field

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    It's my understanding that the slab of glass in the ballroom was placed there before the roof was built on the show building. It was lowered into place using a construction helicopter, and that to replace that pane would require removing the roof to lower the new slab.
    This is widely believed, but it is in fact an urban myth, fueled no doubt by an old and popular HM FAQ that claims that this is the case. They anticipated the possible need of a spare pane and wisely put one inside each of the HM's as it was being built. It is stored behind the fireplace wall on the right in the ballroom. I recently confirmed this with one of our resident HM experts, GRD999, who has seen the WDW spare with his own eyes.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• The Sea Monster Fangirl

California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)

As a kid, I remember vividly that the bride in the attic was more depressed-feeling with a beating heart. It wasn't until later on when I noticed she took on a more sinister tone with the hatchet silhouette and the added hacking sounds with what seemed to be portraits of her previous lovers.

I also remember Madame Leota's floating table which was later made static and her head was made to float instead. I kind of preferred the floating table more.