• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

February 5, 2010: Looking Glass Elevator

Good bye, Looking Glass elevator. It stopped serving its original purpose long ago.

The wrapped scaffolding is consistent with proper demolition when asbestos abatement is involved.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: February 5, 2010: Looking Glass Elevator

Is it confirmed that the elevator is coming down? The reason I ask is because I lived in a building with not one, but 4 interior glass elevators that look out into an atrium. When the building was undergoing a major (and un-needed) interior renovation, the elevators were also covered in scaffolding, but returned once again.

If you want to take a ride: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4iZKbKhNzE"]YouTube- Westinghouse Scenic Elevators at Galtier Plaza[/ame]

I hope that's the case, The Shadoe. It'd be a shame to see the elevator go, as it adds a lot of vertical distinctiveness to the Sierra tower. it breaks up the monotony of the glass façade. Though if they were to remove the concierge lounge, it would completely lose it's purpose (the only time I've used it was as an exit on a tour.)

Of note, the photos in Darkbeer's recent update suggest that the ramp to it has been disconnected, so this very well could be the case.

Thanks for the interesting article, Werner.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadoe View Post
    Is it confirmed that the elevator is coming down?
    It's not officially confirmed. The press release in June 2009 said nothing about the glass elevator, and Disney has not issued any public statements about it since then.

I checked with people who are likely to know the status. They privately confirmed to me that the glass elevator is going away.

If the glass elevator still served a real purpose, I would accept the idea that the current project is just for asbestos abatement in conjunction with the new exterior project. However, after the Top of the Park lounge closed, the glass elevator was no longer needed. They kept it in service because because it was there.

Now, with the installation of the new exterior on the towers, they have the opportunity to remove this 45-year-old elevator that only goes between the ground floor and the top floor — instead of investing more money in it.

Yes, it's possible we'll be surprised. Maybe an executive will read my article and decide to bring back the Top of the Park lounge and the Looking Glass elevator. But I really don't think so.
    Werner Weiss

• Minion

I'd love to see The Top of the Park lounge come back!

• FastPass n00b

It sounds to me that they need to re-open the Top of the Park. It sure beats eating next to creepy gorillas and giraffes.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    It sounds to me that they need to re-open the Top of the Park. It sure beats eating next to creepy gorillas and giraffes.
    I had to think about that one.

I eventually remembered the Rainforest Café at the Disneyland Resort's Downtown Disney.
    Werner Weiss

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

There is one other possibility - they could do the asbestos abatement and elevator renovation, and cut through new elevator doors & stops to the 9th and 10th floors for the Concierge guests to get full access.

But that won't work if the lower floors aren't laid out for it - like the space on the other side of the wall is a Maid's Storage or a Utility Room that can't be changed - or a Guest Room.

Most likely going away, but never say never.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    There is one other possibility - they could do the asbestos abatement and elevator renovation, and cut through new elevator doors & stops to the 9th and 10th floors for the Concierge guests to get full access.
    The fun part of a glass elevator is riding up from ground level and watching the view unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Most likely going away, but never say never.
    I just looked at Andy Castro's column for Feb. 22, 2010. It shows that the former exterior elevator structure (currently covered in blue material) is now "shrinking." It used to extend above the top of the hotel tower. That's no longer the case.

Good bye, Looking Glass Elevator.
    Werner Weiss

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    The fun part of a glass elevator is riding up from ground level and watching the view unfold.

I just looked at Andy Castro's column for Feb. 22, 2010. It shows that the former exterior elevator structure (currently covered in blue material) is now "shrinking." It used to extend above the top of the hotel tower. That's no longer the case.

Good bye, Looking Glass Elevator.
    Yes, but it isn't lower than the top floor roof - I agree it's probably gone under there, but as of yet the photographic evidence does not show it. The tarp and scaffolding starts to get dismantled and goes any lower than it is now, then I'll have to agree with you.

They could also be leaving the elevator there and pruning off the decorative steel cage at the top of the shaft that was not necessary for function - all they need is a positive stop, the roof of the elevator car can be exposed to the elements

IIRC from looking, it's a "Basement Traction" machine where the motor is in the Hotel Basement, all they have at the top of the shaft is two (or four...) big sheaves for the ropes on each side to go 'up and over' and attach to the elevator car.

Remove that decorative steelwork at the top and you open up the sightlines to the Penthouse walls where the sign was, and the "Comet" artwork is. (The reason they had to have the sign read "Hotel || Disneyland" before the expansion of the building - the elevator shaft || was in the way of the sign.)

The next photo down in the Update is a close-up of the temporary construction elevator on the exterior, which is to the left of the "Looking Glass" shaft - which suggests that they are reworking the passenger and service elevators on the inside of the tower. (New ropes, new machines, change over to digital controls and electronic floor landing sensors, etc.)

Change should be for a purpose, not just 'Change for Change's Sake'.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1