• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

March 5, 2010: Gatorland

Gatorland is one of the oldest tourist attractions in Central Florida. Your grandfather might have visited 60 years ago, and you can still enjoy the park today.

Link to Gatorland

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Re: March 5, 2010: Gatorland

Werner, this place is cool to see - as I never think I could do it in person!
    We were in the Panhandle and theres a restaurant with an alligator enclosure below. That was enough for me! Thanks as always for a great post!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• former CM

Years ago we had an excellent trip to the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine. A framed, kitchy poster from the Alligator Farm still hangs in our house near our old Jungle Book movie poster.

In 2-4 years we'll make an "only WDW" trip to Florida,
    but
    if we make a trip back after that we'll probably hit Gatorland, Universal (Harry Potter) and maybe another attraction.

Thanks for an excellent report!

I finally went to Gatorland in 2005 and loved it. The birds were all nesting and flying all over (make sure to where a hat between March and June) and making a huge amount of noise. If you are expecting to only see a few gators be aware that there are large amounts of them there along with frog, snakes lizards and such. I saw only the encounters show ans that was good. They had a giant scorpion that they put on a lady and she was quite calm about it, then he brought it up into the audience for a close up look! There is a cool kids water play area as well. I only spent 3 hours there and could have looked around more, had a meal and seen the two other shows which would have added a couple more hours. I do recommend it to everyone though it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I love these old theme parks. Thank you for including a very interesting piece of Orlando's past [and present].

Yes, I thought at first this was a Yester attraction. But I liked it so much that I think you should expand your articles to other attractions around DL and WDW, both current and past. For me, most of the attractions around DL like the Alligator Farm and Movieland Wax Museum were integral to the DL vacation experience, and I would like to revisit them as much as the Yesterland attractions.

• FastPass n00b

Such beautiful animals! It's great to see people have such a huge natural interest in reptiles, I always thought people were put off by animals like alligators and snakes and stuff. I especially loved the picture of the egrets! Did you take these pictures yourself Werner? Because whoever got the shots was incredibly lucky to see the little babies being fed. That must have been so neat!

With the Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo and Seaworld shifting to a WAY more commercialized atmosphere, it's so nice to know there's still animal parks out there that are actually dedicated to *animals* and not thrill rides. I'm always kind of torn between keeping animals in captivity and displaying them in order to show people how amazing they can be. But I think that this place really seems like a completely natural setting for the alligators and wildlife. Some of these commercial animal parks are like prisons for wild animals, it's just plain depressing.

That was fascinating why the egrets like to build their nests next to the alligators. I love how nature is so balanced, with everything depending on everything else. Awesome report, thank you!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I especially loved the picture of the egrets! Did you take these pictures yourself Werner? Because whoever got the shots was incredibly lucky to see the little babies being fed. That must have been so neat!
    I took all the pictures in the article.

I wasn't as close to the nest as the photo makes it appear. I was on the boardwalk, around 15 or 20 feet away. The nest was around eye level for me. It was far enough from the boardwalk that the birds apparently did not feel threatened by people on the boardwalk.

I zoomed in with the optical zoom on my camera. Then I cropped the image on my laptop.

Yes, it was very neat!
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Animatronic

I visited in 1987. My friend bought a stuffed rattlesnake in the giftshop. Quite the tourist attraction. Most impressive was the thunderclap sound when the jumparoo gator's jaw closed on the chicken.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• The Study of Wumbo

This is very cool. Next time my family visits Walt Disney World, we'll have to take a day out of Disney and visit this place.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

It still look the very same as it was in 1995 ...
    Nice memories !