Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: March 11 2010: "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day"

Great post, although you seem to have a heck of an "annual" pass -

It was February 1, 2001. I was making plans for an early-March Florida vacation that would include a week in Orlando. I thought it might be fun to spend a day at the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival, but our Walt Disney World annual passes expired in October 2009.
    Where can I get one of those annual passes that lasts over 8 years???

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Great post, although you seem to have a heck of an "annual" pass -
    Thank you for catching that. I fixed it.

I need a spell checker that can catch "misspelled" years.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

I've always got yer back, Werner!

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingguy View Post
    The registration process was very confusing and time consuming....It seems to me that many people, who a) either already volunteer or b) have a friend who works for an approved non-profit (and got credit for who knows how much real work) were able to snag the vouchers before others. Also, the idea that an entire family of 8 (!) can each "volunteer" for a day and everyone get a free ticket (worth over $400) means that there are just fewer (and now none) for individuals.
    Sour grapes again, along with some unfounded "conspiracy theory" lemons. Looking at Werner's example of the registration process, it wasn't confusing at all. It just wasn't as simple as "I signed up...send me my free pass!" Time consuming? Maybe, but if people weren't willing to put in a little effort on the website, they don't deserve the passes.

A couple of people have mentioned that many of these people may not have been "new" volunteers. So what? People who already volunteer deserve the benefit more than anyone else, because after most of those new volunteers work their one day and go home to claim their prize, that charity will never see them again. The long-time volunteers still had to register, so they were able to get through the confusion and take the time to take advantage of a program that would reward them for something they do.

I'm going to assume that you have some sort of proof regarding the "they've got a friend" theory; if not, stop blaming others because you didn't get yours. And if a family of eight volunteers, why shouldn't they get eight passes? In Werner's case, for instance, they got tickets for the whole family because all four of them signed up and worked (or will work) an entire day at a charity. It's not like Werner signed himself up and gets passes for everyone. There are four individuals, not one family, getting passes. Just accept the fact that these people put more effort into getting their passes than others and they deserve them. Nobody "snagged" passes; they were just more willing to go through the "confusing, time-consuming" process.

I know it's easier for people to play the victim because they missed out on the promotion, but degrading or insulting the program with unfounded allegations and nonsensical theories is more proof of why companies like Disney shouldn't bother with these kind of promotions. They just can't win.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I just reread my article to see if I should change anything so that isn't perceived as "negative" or "whining" or "unhappy."

I did not try to write a negative article. And I don't think I wrote a negative article.

My article would not have been complete if I had not included the fact that the promotion was over much faster than the company or the public expected. Yes, the promotion can be called a great success because so many Americans and Canadians signed up so quickly.

What's ironic is that this "great success" means that Disney found itself without the centerpiece if its 2010 marketing campaign just 68 days into the year, and that so many potential participants who were "inspired" by Disney's massive advertising campaign now find they can't sign up for it. In an odd way, the program would have generated more goodwill and have been better for Disney if it had not been quite such a "great success."

If I had to apply a single word adjective to describe the end of the article, it would be ironic, not negative.

I applaud the million volunteers. And I applaud Disney for focussing attention on volunteerism and for being generous with park admission tickets (and alternate rewards for guests using multi-day and annual passes) to encourage volunteer service.

I didn't change the article.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 03-13-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I, for one, am glad you didn't, and I apologize if my comments about people whining implied that you should have. Your article was well-written and, given the subject, very balanced. Really, putting a positive spin on the idea that all those people who decided to bide their time and not jump on the initiative bandwagon missed out was going to be difficult. The result, of course, was the whining coming from those people who couldn't see the forest of laudable goals (one million volunteers in 68 days, an inspiring accomplishment) for the trees of self-centered victimization ("I didn't get a free pass! What a debacle!"; "The website was too hard! They must have had friends!").

On the subject of irony, though, there's something to be said about the fact that the Year of a Million Dreams lasted for almost two years while the Year of Give a Day, Get a Day lasted just over two months. Who knew that hard work would get more done faster than just dreaming about it?

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I'm also glad you didn't change it. I agree with you 100% that there is a lot of disappointment associated with this promo. I wanted to register but had NO idea that it would end so soon. The fact that this replaced the "free birthday ticket" promo, which ran for a full calendar year, falsely gave the impression that this promo would run much longer.

The way they ended it so suddenly without notice I think it the biggest mistake. They should have put out some sort of press release saying that the response was so overwhelming that it had to end early, but with a 30 day notice to when the cutoff would be. To just announce "it's all over, sorry" after such a heavy PR push is a joke, and puts a damper on whatever goodwill it may have engendered. It was a brilliant promo that seemed a win-win all around... and then they found a way to screw it up in the end anyway.
    --Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    They should have put out some sort of press release saying that the response was so overwhelming that it had to end early, but with a 30 day notice to when the cutoff would be.
    When the original promotion came out, there was a notice that the giveaway would be limited to the first one million people. When the one million volunteer limit was reached, the promotion ended. It didn't end "early"; it ended when it was supposed to. If people assumed that it would go on all year, then the blame for that is on them for not paying attention to the rules, not Disney.

Even assuming Disney realized that they were approaching the target faster than expected, putting up an arbitrary clock would've caused far more trouble than just letting the deadline happen. How many people do you think would've signed up in those 30 days? It only took 68 days to get one million; I would think millions more would've signed up once they realized they'd overlooked the limit and were about to run out of time. And then how many more people would've been up in arms?

Again, given the generosity of the promotion in the first place and the above-board handling of it by the company, in my opinion, Disney did NOTHING wrong. They lived up to their end of the deal. They may have not considered how many people would jump on the freebie bandwagon, but there was nothing malicious about that. People should be upset with themselves for missing out on the opportunity, and they should be slightly ashamed if the lack of a prize at the end keeps them from doing something worthwhile and volunteering their time.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Limited View Post
    When the original promotion came out, there was a notice that the giveaway would be limited to the first one million people. When the one million volunteer limit was reached, the promotion ended. It didn't end "early"; it ended when it was supposed to. If people assumed that it would go on all year, then the blame for that is on them for not paying attention to the rules, not Disney.
    You can bury yourself in all the fine print you want to, but that doesn't change the public perception.
    Even assuming Disney realized that they were approaching the target faster than expected, putting up an arbitrary clock would've caused far more trouble than just letting the deadline happen. How many people do you think would've signed up in those 30 days? It only took 68 days to get one million; I would think millions more would've signed up once they realized they'd overlooked the limit and were about to run out of time. And then how many more people would've been up in arms?
    Ok, fair enough... what I proposed off the top of my head might not have worked. But that doesn't mean that there couldn't have been another solution. When they saw how popular the promo was, they could have released a notice in February about how successful the first few weeks were going with a projected end date. How about a "countdown clock" feature, whereby the number of registrants/participants was shown along with the balance left to reach the million. This would have easily given the public information needed to know it wasn't going to last long. The point is, only Disney knew how fast they were going, and they chose to keep it a secret.
    Again, given the generosity of the promotion in the first place and the above-board handling of it by the company, in my opinion, Disney did NOTHING wrong. They lived up to their end of the deal. They may have not considered how many people would jump on the freebie bandwagon, but there was nothing malicious about that. People should be upset with themselves for missing out on the opportunity, and they should be slightly ashamed if the lack of a prize at the end keeps them from doing something worthwhile and volunteering their time.
    Ok, that's your opinion. Here's mine: they could have handled it a lot better. As I stated before, put a sour note upon what could have been a brilliant promotion. And the proof of that is that there are still a lot of disappointed Disney fans out there that were teased with a promotion and then had the door slammed in their face. Have a magical day!
    --Jonathan

• Minion

but i heard several times it was coming to an end and it was in the paper. Seems like noone payed attention to the warning. I was very scared I might not get in how my date was March 27. Luckly I did everything Disney wanted signed up with a date and time now I'm part of the million. Was it confusing and time consuming yes but way worth it when I get 73.00 off mine and my fiancee's pass. Thank you Disney for this promotion!!!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

When they saw how popular the promo was, they could have released a notice in February about how successful the first few weeks were going with a projected end date.
    Back on February 11, 2010, Disney announced that 600,000 people had already volunteered in the first 6 weeks. The goal was still "to inspire 1 million people to perform volunteer service." Chances are that most readers of Disney fan websites and forums were aware of 600,000 volunteer milestone, and thus had a warning that they had better move quickly if they wanted to participate.

That's what motivated me to get our daughters scheduled for volunteer service as soon as possible.

However, if you go back to the announcement last September (The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies - Corporate Press Releases - 090929) and the television ads, there was no urgency. Disney hoped to inspire 1 million volunteers during 2010.

Chances are that casual Disney park goers — not the big-time Disney fans who follow all Disney news — never heard about the 600,000 mark and never realized there was any urgency. Thus, the perception can be that Disney promised something and now won't deliver, even though Disney did exactly what they said they would.

That's what I tried to express in my article, although I probably could have done a better job.

I may still add some of my comments from this MiceChat thread into the article.
    Werner Weiss

• All Disney, All the Time

What gets me is that now Disney pretty much has no promotion...in a year when they really could use one.

You can bury yourself in all the fine print you want to, but that doesn't change the public perception.
    The only public perception I'm aware of is the negative blatting in forums like this one. I'm sure the general public is very uncaring about this. Or if someone did try to sign up and was told that the promotion was now closed, then they just said "Oh well, I better get in earlier next time". There was no perception in the public that this promotion was going to go on for an entire year. It lasted as long as it lasted, and was a resounding success.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by stu29573 View Post
    What gets me is that now Disney pretty much has no promotion...in a year when they really could use one.
    No Disney has a great promotion. They can show a family that volunteered and say "This year Disney Parks inspired over 8 million hours of volunteer service as part of our promotion. We celebrate our volunteers, What will you celebrate?"

See how that works nicely into the what will you celebrate idea..

• All Disney, All the Time

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    No Disney has a great promotion. They can show a family that volunteered and say "This year Disney Parks inspired over 8 million hours of volunteer service as part of our promotion. We celebrate our volunteers, What will you celebrate?"

See how that works nicely into the what will you celebrate idea..
    True, but human nature being what it is, I'm not sure it has the same appeal as "Win a Night in the Disneyland Dream Suite"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast