Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Re: March 11 2010: "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day"

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Back on February 11, 2010, Disney announced that 600,000 people had already volunteered in the first 6 weeks. The goal was still "to inspire 1 million people to perform volunteer service." Chances are that most readers of Disney fan websites and forums were aware of 600,000 volunteer milestone, and thus had a warning that they had better move quickly if they wanted to participate.
    I was not aware that they issued this press release; it is to their credit that they did. It is unfortunate that it went unnoticed. Still, they could have put some sort of note on the Disney website that they were fast approaching the cutoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Thus, the perception can be that Disney promised something and now won't deliver, even though Disney did exactly what they said they would.
    Exactly.
    That's what I tried to express in my article, although I probably could have done a better job.
    You did a fine job, IMHO, of capturing the essence of how they ended this promo and some of the disappointment it will continue to bring to the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    The only public perception I'm aware of is the negative blatting in forums like this one.
    Exactly the purpose of such forums... where the public can come to make their disappointment known. I have talked to a few friends of mine who are not members of this forum, and bit less fanatical in their Disney following than myself. But all had expressed interest and were considering participating. All of them had the same reaction to the sudden end: surprise and disappointment. It looks like Werner Weiss, who after all approached the promo as a member of the "general public" came to the same conclusion. And he even got to participate.
    I'm sure the general public is very uncaring about this.
    Obviously if they don't care enough to pay attention to the promo, they don't care that it ended either. Irrelevant. Look, no one is saying that Disney committed a public relations disaster... I'm just saying that the way they decided to end the promo so suddenly and without notice may have unnecessarily created negative feelings for many fans of the mouse. Werner Weiss captured it perfectly in the quote above.
    Or if someone did try to sign up and was told that the promotion was now closed, then they just said "Oh well, I better get in earlier next time".
    Absolutely... IF they had announced that it would continue next year. Which they have not. Right now it leaves the disappointment that Disney fans that may have wanted to participate have lost out on a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to participate.
    There was no perception in the public that this promotion was going to go on for an entire year. It lasted as long as it lasted, and was a resounding success.
    I don't agree. They overly hyped this as the BIG promo of 2010. It is not unreasonable to assume it would have lasted longer than 2 months.

Once again, all I am saying is: they could have handled it better. That's all.
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 03-15-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarification
    --Jonathan

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    No Disney has a great promotion. They can show a family that volunteered and say "This year Disney Parks inspired over 8 million hours of volunteer service as part of our promotion. We celebrate our volunteers, What will you celebrate?"

See how that works nicely into the what will you celebrate idea..
    Actually, the volunteer shifts are not necessarily 8 hours each. Some are 3 or 4 hours. Some involve weeks of training before someone can even schedule an actual volunteer shift (which is why one of my daughters almost lost the opportunity to register for "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day").

My wife and I are going back to work another shift at the Northern Illinois Food Bank (with no additional Disney tickets for us, of course).

Disney can say they inspired 1 million volunteers, but they can't really quantify the hours of volunteer service.

I agree that it's likely that "What Will You Celebrate?" will continue to be the main marketing push for 2010, and that Disney will continue to celebrate the spirit of volunteerism and those who volunteered — but without the "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" component that was the centerpiece of the campaign.

In addition, Disneyland can get marketing mileage out of their 55th anniversary this year.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I agree with some of your points, and disagree with others. Cool, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Exactly the purpose of such forums... where the public can come to make their disappointment known. I have talked to a few friends of mine who are not members of this forum, and bit less fanatical in their Disney following than myself. But all had expressed interest and were considering participating. All of them had the same reaction to the sudden end: surprise and disappointment.
    I think you disqualified them when you called them "a bit less fanatical". Anyone who was familiar with the promotion and had planned to participate would naturally be disappointed that they had missed their chance. But I don't see that as Disney's fault - it's just that the public response to this was perhaps greater than they anticipated. Or, maybe not - maybe they knew all along that this would be a hot ticket.

Look, no one is saying that Disney committed a public relations disaster... I'm just saying that the way they decided to end the promo so suddenly and without notice may have unnecessarily created negative feelings for many fans of the mouse.
    I somewhat agree on this point. But I don't recall anwhere where Disney said or even hinted that this promotion was going to be the big thing for the entire year. It was just a free standing promotion, and when it's done, it's done. But they could have made some statements to soften the blow a bit.

They overly hyped this as the BIG promo of 2010. It is not unreasonable to assume it would have lasted longer than 2 months.
    Again, I think this is just in the minds of the superfans who were comparing it to the Year of a Million Dreams. If they had called the promotion The Year of Give a Day Get A Disney Day, then it would be different. This seemed to me to be no different than a grocery store running a coupon special. You know it won't last forever, so you need to take advantage of it while you can.

Once again, all I am saying is: they could have handled it better. That's all.
    Agreed.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

The typical American (and presumably the typical Canadian) knows about "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" from a barrage of 30-second TV spots that began toward the end of 2009. Here's an example:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_uqcpTBeo]YouTube - TV Spot Featuring Sara Ramirez[/ame]

The key message was, "Beginning in January, give a day of service to a participating organization, and get a one-day ticket to one of our parks, free!"

Viewers were bombarded with such TV spots. There was fine print on the screen briefly, explaining that advance registration is required. TV viewers were told to visit DisneyParks.com for details.

Yes, there was no promise that the program would run through all of 2010. But there wasn't any sense of urgency either. There was no emphasis that the program was capped at 1 million tickets.

If TV viewers followed up, they would learn that Disney hoped to inspire 1 million volunteers in 2010. Again, no sense of urgency.

I don't agree that this program was a complete debacle or that Disney "stopped it early." But I also don't agree that the program was a complete success and nobody is disappointed (or nobody should be disappointed).

I'm sure that if Disney had known how the program would play out, they would have structured it differently.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 03-17-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I realize I made my point better in this MiceChat thread than I did in my article. So I rewrote the end of the article using some of what I wrote in this thread.

"Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" at Yesterland
    Werner Weiss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123