• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

April 2, 2010: Rolly Crump Talks about Knott’s Bear-y Tales

Chris Merritt, the co-author of Knott’s Preserved, interviews Rolly Crump about Knott’s Bear-y Tales—a delightful Knott’s Berry Farm dark ride that lasted from 1975 until 1986.

Rolly Crump is a Disney Legend.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Bucket List Car

Re: April 2, 2010: Rolly Crump Talks about Knott’s Bear-y Tales

Thank you so much for this wonderful article. I hadn't thought about Knott's Bear-Y Tales in sometime, until today. Makes me want to travel back in time and ride this again; it was my favorite ride there. I loved the smell of boysenberries throughout the ride.

• FastPass n00b

I remember when Kingdom of the Dinosaurs opened, then I went on it a couple years later, but I really seem to miss Bear-y Tales, even though I never got to see it. The thing is, I have been visiting Knott's since the early 80's and it kills me to know this was there when I went and I never got to see it. My first trip to the actual theme park portion of Knott's was in 1989 so I was already too late.

Knott's Berry Farm was just SO radically different than today. It had so much imagination and creativity, it competed more with Disneyland than Magic Mountain. I remember the Soapbox Racers (my favorite ride) and walking around the California Marketplace, seeing the candy store, watching cakes being decorated and of course watching the little devil thing launch the volcano by turning a wheel.

The fact that Knott's has been torn to shreds and STILL has a lot of heart and personality speaks volumes of how enduring that park really is. While it's only a shell of it's pre-1990's self, it's still one of the best theme parks in the world... equal to Disneyland if you factor in the price. The people that work at Knott's Berry Farm are some of the most entertaining and friendly people you'll ever find at a theme park, including Disneyland. It's just such a wonderful place to visit.

• FastPass n00b

I just got to thinking... $900,000 and 6 months of work, and they are using this area for Laser Tag!? I didn't think Cedar Fair wanted to invest a lot of money into Knott's Berry Farm, but it seems they have a huge pre-existing fan base for an attraction that costs peanuts compared to a new rollercoaster.

If I were running Knott's, I'd break out the old blueprints and get this ride up and running by Labor Day. Just look at what Captain EO did to a dead area of Disneyland... nostalgia is a powerful thing!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I remember the Soapbox Racers (my favorite ride) and walking around the California Marketplace, seeing the candy store, watching cakes being decorated and of course watching the little devil thing launch the volcano by turning a wheel.
    Eddie Sotto, who designed Wacky Soapbox Racers and went on work for Walt Disney Imagineering, will be on the panel at the Knott's Preserved event on April 18.

Speaking of that event, I heard yesterday that there are still some tickets left, but it's getting close to being sold out. Anyone who is interested in theme park history and design, and who can be in Southern California that day, should seriously consider buying a ticket before it's too late. The event is a bargain because it includes not only the history presentations in the Bird Cage Theatre, but also park admission and even dinner... all for $55.

(I think the history walks are now completely booked up, but, of course, event guests can explore the historic parts of Knott's on their own.)
    Werner Weiss

Great article about this wonderful attraction. It sure brought back a lot of fond memories.

One thing regarding Rolly Crump: Merritt writes "His most recognizable work, is the whimsical façade designed for the “it’s a small world” attraction, moved from the 1964 World’s Fair to Disneyland." The way the sentence is constructed, one might incorrectly conclude that the iconic "International Gateway" facade was created for the New York version of the attraction. While Crump did design "The Tower of the Four Winds" which stood in front of the attraction at the World's Fair, the International Gateway was created specifically for the Disneyland version. It has since been replicated at other Disney Parks.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    One thing regarding Rolly Crump: Merritt writes "His most recognizable work, is the whimsical façade designed for the “it’s a small world” attraction, moved from the 1964 World’s Fair to Disneyland." The way the sentence is constructed, one might incorrectly conclude that the iconic "International Gateway" facade was created for the New York version of the attraction.
    Yes. Different façades in New York and Disneyland.

I'm sure that "moved from the 1964 World’s Fair to Disneyland" refers to the the ride, not the façade, but I agree the wording is currently ambiguous.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic. Thank you Werner!

I've got my tickets for that Knott's event. Here's a link to the info for those who are interested in joining us: http://micechat.com/forums/other-the...erry-farm.html

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Knott's so needs a family dark ride. Bear-y Tales was such a neat and unique dark ride.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I just got to thinking... $900,000 and 6 months of work, and they are using this area for Laser Tag!? I didn't think Cedar Fair wanted to invest a lot of money into Knott's Berry Farm, but it seems they have a huge pre-existing fan base for an attraction that costs peanuts compared to a new rollercoaster.

If I were running Knott's, I'd break out the old blueprints and get this ride up and running by Labor Day. Just look at what Captain EO did to a dead area of Disneyland... nostalgia is a powerful thing!
    The Laser Tag is Under both of the rides and is not placed in any parts of the rides. Same goes for the Johnny Rockets Restaurant. Both the Laser tag and the Johnny rockets are placed in old areas where most of the arcade used to be.

Btw. Great Article!!! When i used to work on the Magical, Cute, and Happy Dark Ride.

Great article! I really enjoyed it. I always thought that Knott's Bear-y Tales was first rate. It's unfortunate that Arrow didn't get to do the ride system since the current one had such issues with loading and unloading the cars and it ran very rough. It was fun going over the little "hills" that were located throughout the ride though -- not sure if that was an intentional design or not. The free fall drop would have been incredible. It's too bad there wasn't the budget for it.

I agree that a lot was lost with Knotts once they started moving away from being a family park. In my mind, growing up, Knott's was always right up there with Disneyland. It had a slightly different character to it but that's what the appeal was. Now I find myself searching for all the quirky stuff that used to make Knott's so much fun. Disneyland never had a little devil figure turning the crank on a volcano, a grave you could stand on and feel the heartbeat of the dead, nor a cool sunken gold panning operation you could walk down through a cave to get to. It's those special things that are forgotten when one's mentality is to fill every inch of the park with roller coasters.

Thanks for thr article. I just added the book to my Amazon wish list.