• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

May 21, 2010: Midget Autopia 3.0?

Yes, there are plans to bring back the Midget Autopia at a new location to delight a new generation of children.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: May 21, 2010: Midget Autopia 3.0?

Werner,

Thanks for another great article. I'm always appreciative of people who look to the past as a way to enhance the future. Looking at the website for the museum, there's a section for becoming a museum member but nothing specifically for people who want to donate to this project. Do you know if that's going to be a possibility?

• Infinitized!

Cool article. Now if only they could rebuild ATIS or Nature's Wonderland somewhere.

Yes, let us know if they have a specific location we can donate to.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Limited View Post
    Looking at the website for the museum, there's a section for becoming a museum member but nothing specifically for people who want to donate to this project. Do you know if that's going to be a possibility?
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    Yes, let us know if they have a specific location we can donate to.
    I've sent a note to Kaye Malins, Director of the Walt Disney Hometown Museum, asking the best way to donate to the return of the Midget Autopia. I know she's busy today with a large tour group, so I thought I'd post my thoughts now, even before I hear back from Kaye.

The Walt Disney Hometown Museum is owned and operated by the non-profit Main Street USA Charitable Foundation. It's an organization of tireless volunteers who created the museum, operate it, and have ambitious plans for the future.

The membership form is a good way to make donations. I'm a paid member. Even if there's no chance you'll get to Marcelene in the next 12 months, you can still feel good about helping. I would specify "for the Midget Autopia project" with your donation or membership, if you wish. In addition to various membership levels, there is an "Other Gift for the Museum" space in which you can specify any amount in addition to (or instead of) a membership level. See:

Membership | Benefits - WaltDisneyMuseum.org

If someone is interested in making a larger gift to the Midget Autopia project or any of the museum's other terrific plans for the future, I would recommend contacting Kaye Malins directly.

Contact Us | Please Contact Us Anytime - WaltDisneyMuseum.org
    Werner Weiss

Before Autopia at the Disneyland Resort, existed a small race track, racecars, and several real racecars.

Where Toontown now exists was a company called Viking Trailers. The owner had several race cars on the property. He built a small car for his son and I to drive around the now Disneyland property. (Photo below). In the background on the trailer behind the pole is the Viking Trailer Indy 500 racecar. This photo was taken about 200 yards from where Autopia is located.

As we got older he built a 1/4 scale racecar for his son, Jimmy Caruthers. Then a small banked oval racetrack called the "Jelly Bean Bowl" This was the start of 1/4 Midget racing that is still popular today. The racetrack was featured on the ABC TV program "You asked for it".. This photo is from an early Car Craft Magazine, showing Jimmy's Viking Mobile Home Special from Anaheim, CA.

• Who are you again?

wow, this seems really cool

having a reincarnated ride for future generations is always awesome

and thanks, Disneyland 1951, for that interesting story

now I just have to find a way to make myself three feet tall.....
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Junior Mint

Paypal donation box?

• Vroom, vroom!

We should start an official Miceage / Micechat Group donation for the return of the midget autopia at Marceline Mo.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Great Ideal ,for Marceline MO.
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Quote Originally Posted by davebert4 View Post
    Paypal donation box?
    I'm glad someone brought this up. Werner you may consider persuading the museum folks to set up a paypal account that can receive donations for this cause. Since you do have a future article planned regarding the museum, it would be an excellent opportunity to prominently feature a donation button. I'm sure every Disney fan would get a kick out of knowing their donation big or small helped to return a vintage Disney experience to this world.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by aduecey View Post
    Werner you may consider persuading the museum folks to set up a paypal account that can receive donations for this cause. Since you do have a future article planned regarding the museum, it would be an excellent opportunity to prominently feature a donation button. I'm sure every Disney fan would get a kick out of knowing their donation big or small helped to return a vintage Disney experience to this world.
    I've traded a few e-mail notes with Kaye Malins, Director of the Walt Disney Hometown Museum.

There will be an opportunity for the readers of Yesterland, MiceChat, and MiceAge to contribute. Contributors will know where their money is going and how it will be used. I think you can expect an easy web-based interface.

Anyone who wants to contribute right away can use the link in post #5 of this thread. Such early contributions would probably be very useful to help launch this effort.

Kaye and other volunteers in Marceline have remarkable energy and commitment. I really think they can pull this off.
    Werner Weiss

• Delawarean Girl

Great article. I hope that they bring Midget Autopia back. It looks so cute.