Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: May 28, 2010: Mike Fink Keel Boats

Given that the Bertha Mae was Davy Crockett's boat, perhaps a place for it could be found on the grounds of the late Mr. Parker's resort in Santa Barbara?

Santa Barbara Hotel - Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort - Santa Barbara Beach Hotel

Or possibly the Parker winery and inn in Los Olivios?

Fess Parker Winery and Wine Country Inn & Spa Resort Bed and Breakfast, Los Olivos, California

With all due respect to Disneyland, I think there may be better opportunities to give the Bertha Mae back to Davy in some way.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    I would love to see the DVD, were can I get one?
    I assume you're asking about Finding Kraftland. The film is not sold on DVD, never has been, and probably never will. I imagine it has something to do with its use of some material without clearance or licensing. That wouldn't be a serious issue for a controlled, limited number of showings, but would probably be a real problem for widespread distribution. (A small number of DVDs were made for reviewers.)

It's been shown at film festivals all over the world, and there may be other opportunities to see it at local screenings.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 05-28-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Galapagos Jim View Post
    Given that the Bertha Mae was Davy Crockett's boat, perhaps a place for it could be found on the grounds of the late Mr. Parker's resort in Santa Barbara?

Santa Barbara Hotel - Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort - Santa Barbara Beach Hotel

Or possibly the Parker winery and inn in Los Olivios?

Fess Parker Winery and Wine Country Inn & Spa Resort Bed and Breakfast, Los Olivos, California

With all due respect to Disneyland, I think there may be better opportunities to give the Bertha Mae back to Davy in some way.
    I love these ideas! That would be perfect.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Wow! Loving these ideas. Now that Yesterland has restarted the race between the Mike Fink Keel Boats, I hate the current reality that the Gullywhumper is in the lead (if you consider being parked in front of Mike Fink's Cabin a more glorious resting place than deep storage at the Dunkel Bros. off the 5 freeway in La Mirada!)

I implore the creative minds of MiceChat to brainstorm on even more ways to bring the Bertha Mae to the lead in this great Riverboat Race!

Of course we could just wait in hopes that some mysterious Indian uprising would cripple the Gullywhumper (keep in mind the piercing and flaming fate of that poor settler who inhabited the cabin before Mr. Fink).

BTW, already investigated donating to the Disney Family Museum. It was a no-go.

Also, there will be an announcement shortly of a screening of FINDING KRAFTLAND this July in Southern California. While not practical, it would be glorious to ride the Bertha Mae to the event!!

--Richard Kraft

If not the Disney Family Museum, why not the Smithsonian?? It certainly is historic enough as part of American pop culture. Davy Crockett was the first REAL TV craze to hit America in the 1950s.

• A Weather Eye Open

i love the ideas of the boat finding a home at the areas related to fess parker...

and love the idea of it as a sort of mini chicken-of-the-sea stationary vehicle, a place to sit and eat.

as far as restoration goes, since it's in the LA area, imagine how many of us disneyland crazies would come out to do a little wood work and restoration day! you'd just need a good team leader who knows what they're doing in terms of rebuilding and preserving the boat. we'd all show up, hammers and paint brushes in hand, for a chance to help out a piece of history (and maybe a free screening and a peek at the kraft collection).

the idea for a disneyland history restaurant with tables made of old ride vehicles is such a concept! can't see if happening though, especially not in this economy and with the price of land/rent in the oc area. you'd have to get all the big collectors in on it too, like stamos. not to mention finding an amazing chef, because it'd be pointless if the food wasn't great. it's a fun dream, though!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I'm happy to hear there might be another screening of Finding Kraftland in So Cal. I remember having a conflict on dates with the last screening. Sure would like to see it.

• Banned User

It is interesting that they used Mike Fink's keel boat for the refurbished river, could have christened the reproduced model the Bertha Mae . . . Here are some more ideas:

1. Since keel boats seem to be back in style, maybe Disneyland would let Kraftland donate the Bertha Mae to put in a prominent spot, such as near where the abandoned mine train/cave area is on the Big Thunder trail. There usually isn't too much to see, save a mechanical fish which sometimes appears. It could float near the entrance to the cave perhaps with audio recordings indicating that Davy Crockett is hunting down the river pirates. Only I guess Disney wants the stationary keel boats to look more like the ones in the movies. Maybe it could be used as a background prop in Frontierland for photographs. Or possibly in the water near Country Bear loading up with supplies, where guests on the lower level could see it.

2. The fry cart in the same general location is gone, maybe they could use the Bertha Mae somehow to sell stuff by putting coolers of coke, etc on the walkway of the boat. Or maybe it could be wheeled out for special events to use it to serve as a buffet for entertaining. At least this way people could see it up close and it would get more attention than the Gullywumper.

3. Maybe it could be made seaworthy and could be purchased by a local zoo or amusement park to use. (Kinda doubt this as it could tip over unless they restricted passengers to the bottom level only.)

4. Donate it to Disneyland for use in a parade, I'm sure it could be added to a float.

5. Turn it into a ride by using a mechanical apparatus to move it up and down in a wave like fashion. This would be somewhat technologically challenging, but possible.

6. Make it seaworthy so it could be towed by another boat on public waterways for special occasions.

It will be interesting to see what happens with it!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 05-28-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Werner, whatever happened to the Magic Kingdom's keelboats?? Were they scrapped, sold, or are they still in storage??

• Infinitized!

Make it operational again in Fess Parker's memory.

• Delawarean Girl

First, hooray about the great updated article. It's well interesting.

As for Bertha Mae. It would be nice if it could return to ROA. Just like The Gullywhumper. But maybe Mr.Kraft can put into a great museum too. Maybe in a nice big glass display for everyone to see . Like they have done to the past Disney rides or movie props, etc .

Set it up as a tourist boat at Lake Tahoe or some other lake.

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by wec View Post
    Set it up as a tourist boat .
    Good idea. I thought about that too a little bit later after I gave my idea. Especially when I was rethinking of my glass display idea. I kind want to dump my glass display idea. Because I would atleast like to go in it. Even though, it's no longer a ride.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I can see no reason at all why the Bertha Mae couldn't be made totally seaworthy again. The "incident" that got the ride shut down was Operator Error pure and simple, and as long as you don't go around deliberately trying to carve multiple severe S-turns it'll probably never capsize again.

It appears to be a simple commercially built Fiberglass hull with an inboard gasoline engine stern drive of some sort - Even if you have to buy and install a brand new engine and stern drive system it shouldn't be all that much.

The rest is in stripping out enough of the interior to inspect the inside of the hull, possibly adding more rigid flotation at the wales in case of a partial sinking (spray foam is your friend!) then put it back together so it's usable.

You would have to add navigation lights to use it on open water - Disneyland is a private lake and could get away without them. And update to a modern marine radio and other electronics, add the requisite safety gear like a fixed fire extinguishing system in the engine room, anchor and mooring gear, fenders and cleats, buy a few dozen life vests for under the seats, etc. But that's not all that difficult.

A little more work to make all the side "shutter" doors on the cabin totally functional in case of inclement weather, and myself I would put a front windshield with a wiper and a set of functional remote controls (wheel, throttle, engine controls, etc) at the front of the cabin. You really wouldn't want to be driving standing up on the fantail operating the tiller in 6 foot seas.

If you want to do it, I know a very good Marine Architect who can plan it all out, do all the safety and stability studies, and even give you a price for the needed work. Heck, he's probably put a little thought into it already.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

It would take some doing but it would be awesome to have a Yesterland Museum to visit.
    Model it after Disneyland in miniature and include exhibits of all the old rides in their proper land.
    The keel boat would naturally make a great piece in the Rivers of America section.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast