• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

June 2, 2010: Pop Century, Legendary Years

Good bye, Legendary Years. Hello, Art of Animation.

Yesterland goes to Disney’s Pop Century Resort.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: June 2, 2010: Pop Century, Legendary Years

I'm personally not too concerned that the Pop "Century" Resort only features a half century. I'm sure it'd be easy to rename different facilities (The Roaring Twenties Food Court, etc.) to fill things out if they wanted to. I've stayed there several times, and it's not something that has caused me any stress at all (wandering through the pools and courtyards wondering what happened to the 30's and 40's!!!).

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

I think it's sad that they decided not to finish the "second phase". It would had been interesting to see the other half. We all know the 50's-90's by heart. But the 00's-40's memories are indeed shrinking. Well, for the 30's & 40's. All I can think of is the Swing Era. But that's it.

If money and time were no object, I would love to see Pop Century "revamped" to fit in with the Art of Animation concept. The 50's could become the Disney Dogs area with the Lady icon already in place, the 60's could become the Disney Jungle (Baloo and Mowgli icons are already in place) incorporating Jungle Book and Tarzan themes, Roger Rabbit could be the central icon for a Toon Town Travelodge, etc.
    I've never been a fan of Pop Century, so I wouldn't mind seeing the facility become more "Disney-fied" for families to enjoy, and fit in with the surroundings. But what do I know?! LOL

May you be surrounded by your pals this holiday season!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    But the 00's-40's memories are indeed shrinking. Well, for the 30's & 40's. All I can think of is the Swing Era. But that's it.
    I think you've just summed up why Disney management decided that the first half of the 20th century would not be a meaningful, compelling theme for most guests.
    Werner Weiss

• A-NET-FAN

I say a compromise would be ideal...

Since the company isnt tooooooo far from being a century old I say rename it Disney Century Resort and theme the buildings to where the company was each decade. Name the wings and/ or floors after characters and films created during that decade, with rooms themed accordingly...

• The Study of Wumbo

First of all, "Yesterland Pooped..." *snicker*

They could rename it "Disney's Pop Decades Resort."
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

surely it should be re-named to "Pop Culture Resort"? most(but not all) pop-culture items are from the 50's onward anyway....no need to mention the years/decades part in the name at all. it is my fav resort when i do visit WDW because it is so different to other disney resorts (and i LOVE the 80's!!!).

• The one, the only...

Thanks for the great story. I think that Disney has been having a problem making long term plans. Disney only seems to think about the present moment.

Personally, I think that the design of the Pop Century was misguided. People like nostalgia that gives them the illusion of a different place or time. Many of the favorite deluxe resorts do this wonderfully. But for some reason Disney did not feel that low income guests deserved that kind of detail. The Pop Century just referenced the period, with gigantic icons, but did not really present the illusion of being in the 50's or 60's.

I really cannot say I wanted more of the tacky resort theme they did for the earlier resort. But I am not really impressed with the new design either. It really has more the aesthetics of a shopping mall and not a immersive feel that Walt gave to Frontierland or Main Street.

Having more choices in sizes and types of accommodations is great, but I still feel that Disney could do better to present a more magical experience for its guests. If Disney had not been in such a rush to build as many rooms as it could (to rake in millions for their vacation club), better and more quality resorts and rooms could have been planned.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

After my post (#3) , I kept thinking of what they could have done with the 00's-40's that is Disney related (since they have done that with the other decades) . 00's I thought of Walt Disney himself. 10's is the only hard ball (I can't thinking of anything for this decade). 20's Steamboat Willie. 30's Snow White. 40's it can be a toss up to a couple Disney movies (Dumbo/Bambi/etc).

I can understand the management with this too. Especially while thinking of the 10's. Walt Disney was pretty much just growing up during these times (00's & 10's).

I like the Animation idea more than the nostalgia kick. Unless you're going to do it well, like Main Street, in Disneyland. Then, it's a toss-up. Disney should push it's food: the Dole whip, the cream-cheese filled pretzels, the monte cristo sandwiches, and such. I'd rather see photographs of those than arcane phrases from bygone eras.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    Disney should push it's food: the Dole whip, the cream-cheese filled pretzels, the monte cristo sandwiches, and such.
    I think you've just come up with Disney's All Star Foods Resort.
    Werner Weiss

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    Unless you're going to do it well, like Main Street, in Disneyland. Then, it's a toss-up. Disney should push it's food: the Dole whip, the cream-cheese filled pretzels, the monte cristo sandwiches, and such. I'd rather see photographs of those than arcane phrases from bygone eras.
    I thought about Main Street when it came to thinking of the 1910's. But I felt that would be a lame idea. It's like why, have another Main Street?

Oh! But the Dole Whip and the Disney sidewalk foods is always a good idea. *lol*
    Last edited by Hayley B; 06-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyJack65 View Post
    If money and time were no object, I would love to see Pop Century "revamped" to fit in with the Art of Animation concept. The 50's could become the Disney Dogs area with the Lady icon already in place, the 60's could become the Disney Jungle (Baloo and Mowgli icons are already in place) incorporating Jungle Book and Tarzan themes, Roger Rabbit could be the central icon for a Toon Town Travelodge, etc.
    I've never been a fan of Pop Century, so I wouldn't mind seeing the facility become more "Disney-fied" for families to enjoy, and fit in with the surroundings. But what do I know?! LOL

That's a good idea. I would've prefer that both resorts were either all Pop themed or all Animation themed cuz now we just have an akward lack of theme consistency, especially with the Genereation bridge and Hourglass Lake there.

On the upside maybe the two resorts won't have to share buses but something tells me to save costs and cuz of location convenience that they will.

•   
    • Disneyland History Lover

I never knew the story of this Resort. Just looking at the completed photos looks underwhelming. At first glance it's kind of nice, but when you start to realize this is a Disney resort hotel building that's actually pretty plain looking and is littered in cheap decorations, it makes you realize how much of a shortcut they took with this. It reminds me of another place Disney opened around the same time called Disney's California Adventure.