• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 9, 2010: Aulani Is Moving Along

New construction photos of “The Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina, Hawaii.”

And Marriott Vacation Club tries to be Disney Vacation Club.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Re: July 9, 2010: Aulani Is Moving Along

Great update, Werner. If you readers are interested, I've compiled all the artwork for the resort here. There's quite a bit!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

•   

Werner, Great article as usual. I am glad you touched on MVCI. They have definitely pissed off a number of owners with this new point system. Even if you purchased through Marriott you have to pay a fee to join the new point system. I loved going to Ko'Olina Beach Club but unfortunately September will probably be my last. They have de-valued a number of their resorts with this new point system. My two-bedroom villa isn't worth much in the new point system. Might be time to let go of MVCI timeshares.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Well, I feel silly. I've been following your articles on Aulani, but either I forgot or somehow completely missed that this was a completely DVC resort. So normal people can't stay there at all?
    Oo-de-lally!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Hilton Grand Vacations Club has had a point system for a while. I think that the point system is MUCH better than trading weeks, and allows for some serious flexibility when it comes to vacations and such. My biggest gripe about DVC, that Warner didn't include, is the 50 year time limit. Basically, you're signing a 50 year lease. Yes there may be extensions, but there's no guarantee.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    Well, I feel silly. I've been following your articles on Aulani, but either I forgot or somehow completely missed that this was a completely DVC resort. So normal people can't stay there at all?
    Aulani will ban normal people.

Just kidding.

Aulani will be a combo resort, like Disney's BoardWalk and Disney's Grand Californian.

Plans call for 350 or 360 traditional hotel rooms. And plans call for DVC rooms equivalent to 480 or 481 two-bedroom villas.

In addition to the hotel rooms, non-DVC guests will be able to book DVC inventory that's been turned back to Disney when DVC members choose vacation options that don't involve DVC accommodations or exchanges into other timeshare resorts.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Hilton Grand Vacations Club has had a point system for a while. I think that the point system is MUCH better than trading weeks, and allows for some serious flexibility when it comes to vacations and such. My biggest gripe about DVC, that Warner didn't include, is the 50 year time limit. Basically, you're signing a 50 year lease. Yes there may be extensions, but there's no guarantee.
    I happen to own the HGVC timeshare. I can visit the DVC resorts via RCI exchanges. Of course, only some DVC resorts are available, but the amount of resorts is quite significant. I never expected it, but the Animal Kingdom Lodge is listed as being available for exchange.

I should mention to you that DVC's prices are VERY HIGH when compared to HGVC. $56,406.00 and $2,381.16 maintenance is much more than what I paid HGVC to join. In fact, this amount will get me two weeks and ELITE status at the high priorty season at Hilton. You also will not have mess with the limitation of having your deed expire.

Maybe I'll visit the Hawaii resort and I'll definitely try via RCI.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Restaurant info is on the DVCmember site:

Quote Originally Posted by DVC site
    Makahiki Buffet Restaurant
    Its open-air dining room willl overlook lush tropical flora and will feature murals created by local artists that tell the story of Makahiki, the Hawaiian harvest festival. Located on the Main Building's lower level, it will offer family-friendly Character Breakfasts and casual dinner buffets with fresh local cuisine, including line-caught sustainable seafood, and chef-inspired dishes.
    The 'Olelo Room
    The word is 'Olelo … literally. Experience this fun, interactive lounge while you enjoy refreshing beverages with a tropical flair. It will offer a Continental Breakfast, a traditional Afternoon Tea and cocktail service. Adjacent to the Makahiki Buffet Restaurant, it will present a menu of local specialties.
    'AMA'AMA Beachside Restaurant
    Overlooking the beach and consisting of hale (beachside houses), this restaurant and lounge will serve traditional and locally-inspired meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its fare will include omelets, freshly-made bakery items, hot and cold sandwiches, salads, seasonal and sustainable seafood, steak, duck and vegetarian selections, among other delicacies.
    Last edited by yoyoflamingo; 07-09-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• jeffrey

OOOH! I can't wait. I'll be renting DVC points next fall for this!