• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 16, 2010: Disneyland in 1960

In honor of Disneyland’s 55th anniversary, Yesterland takes you back to another anniversary year evenly divisible by 5. The year is 1960. The park is 5 years old.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Closed Account

Re: July 16, 2010: Disneyland in 1960

Aw, man! I want to go to THAT Disneyland!!

Nice work, Werner!

• It's pronounced "treesh"

I'm with you, Steve! If you can figure out a way to get there, take me with you!

Here's a question I've always been curious about: how exactly did the live mermaids get in and out of the lagoon? Surely, they had to swim out to the center section where they could sit on the rocks. After swimming back in those tails (no easy physical feat!), I'm sure it was quite the sight to see them hefting themselves out of the water! They must have done this out of the guests' view, but where? Did they swim into the subs' cavern? Anyone know?

Thanks for another fantastic photo trip to Yesterland, Werner!

-Jon
    Cleverly disguised as a grown-up
    Did someone say pictures?!? http://triesch.smugmug.com

• A-NET-FAN

GREAT PHOTOS!

Hey I have an idea for next year! What do you say we throw a Yesterland Disneyland Birthday party. Everyone go to the park dressed in vintage 50s/60s clothing.

Love it! Love it! Love it! Love your commentary too!
    It’s such an enjoyable, relaxing hotel that you might just want to spend a day at the hotel instead of returning to Disneyland.
    The hotel of 1960 compared favorably to the Disneyland of 1960. Disneyland has seen many improvements, but the hotel hasn't kept up. In my mind, Disney-quality-wise, the refurbished towers just barely get by, but the Monorail water slide (and wedding lawn replacing the water falls) definitely doesn't cut it. I think Howard Johnson's pirate pool on the other side of Disneyland looks more interesting.

The Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland - there was an understated sense of awe and excitement in that ride, I know Big Thunder is more appealing to today's audience, but I wish you could bring back that feeling again, maybe in DCA.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 07-17-2010 at 09:49 AM.

• The one, the only...

Love the photos. Just one comment/question. Over the years the clock on the train tower would say various company names. I have a memory of it saying Timex. The photo says Elgin, if I read it correctly. Were there other companies up there?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• FastPass n00b

Societal gains seem to be inversely proportional to technological gains. Even though we have massively more advanced technology than these people ever did, they had the imagination to build the mine train ride, the good taste in dressing up to visit Disneyland and the sense to not pack the place shoulder-to-shoulder.

I kind of like that we have a more technological Disneyland that is far more advanced in terms of what they can do, but I really do miss the imagination of rides like the mine train. In short, people were just better back then, while our technology is better nowadays.

I just wish there were some way of retaining our imagination while still advancing forward in technology. It just seems the more technologically advanced we get, the more we lose in society. I mean, look at the cattle drives of Disneyland today... a 1960's time traveler would take one look and not step one foot in that park. And yet tens of thousands of people consider this flooded sea of humanity to be "entertainment". Don't get me wrong, Disneyland is still a fun and amazing place, but people have got to have more common sense nowadays than to pack a park to the gills.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 07-18-2010 at 10:48 PM.

• Delawarean Girl

Very nice.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Love the photos. Just one comment/question. Over the years the clock on the train tower would say various company names. I have a memory of it saying Timex. The photo says Elgin, if I read it correctly. Were there other companies up there?
    It depended upon who was sponsoring the clock, I only remember timex and elgin, but there may have been more. I don't think anyone is sponsoring now.