Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 27, 2010: Katella Avenue Myth

The bus driver had a great trivia question. I even loved his answer. But he was wrong.

The Claim: Walt Disney named Katella Avenue after daughters.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Closed Account

Re: July 27, 2010: Katella Avenue Myth

Happily for history, Mr. Rea chose not to name the street after his third, and more rambunctious daughter, Diah.

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Happily for history, Mr. Rea chose not to name the street after his third, and more rambunctious daughter, Diah.

Ohhhhh, Steve...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I love those urban myths. And it was nice of you, Werner, to try to let the driver down easy while still letting him know the truth. Nothing worse than spouting the wrong information month after month!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

A couple summers ago (in my infamous High-Jack-aloped trip report), I inquired about the bronze statues of the two elderly pioneer ladies sitting in the Anaheim Gardenwalk, and if they were just random pieces of art, or if they were representing anyone. Here is just a brief part of that photo report:

Is there any backstory about these two ladies?
    I'll just call them Beatrice and Agnes Anaheim, the founding sisters of Anaheim.
    If they aren't based on any real person, we need a back up story for
    them as good as the "Don Carlos Turkey Leg" stand in Paradise Pier
    I didn't see any signage telling us the name of these two ladies, but after seeing the pictures you provided, I'm convinced that the statues I provisionally referred to as "Beatrice and Gertrude Anaheim", are actually representing Kate and Ella Rea?!?!?!?!?!

Now, I wonder, were there any "Ball Road Brothers"?

•   
    • Super Hero

Those statues at the GardenWalk are, indeed, Kate and Ella.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

Snowman on Palm...

This is the "Snowman" my sister and I made when we lived on Plam
    (Now Harbor). It has not snowed in Anaheim since.

Global Warming?

• Now 40% less bitter!

Thanks so much for posting this. I bet I had the same bus driver the first time I rode the Toy Story Bus. He shared the same story, but I didn't have the guts to tell him at the time that he was mistaken. I hope he reads your story so he can have the right story, which is still really interesting.
    Oo-de-lally!

Great story. Also interesting is that the Rea ranch southern border included the Anaheim convention center property and ran pass Katella Ave, along West street to Cerritos Ave. The Northern border (at Cerritos) ran right thru what is now the Jungle Cruise Hippo pool. The North East corner of the Walnut tree ranch was where the giant Eucalyptus trees stood for many years, directly behind City Hall. I believe those trees were planted by Jon Rea, possibly as a wind break.

The Victorian style Rea home was off the ranch property in downtown Anaheim. After being purchased by Anaheim's mayor in the 1920's the house was relocated a couple blocks to the west. After being moved once again in 2007, this time just a couple more blocks, it has recently been restored.

• Merry 2014!

I feel for the bus driver though. I know how cool it is to have Disney trivia that you think no one else knows and how bad you feel when you find it is inaccurate. I hope you gave him a bit of trivia he could use.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Allen Daily View Post
    Great story. Also interesting is that the Rea ranch southern border included the Anaheim convention center property and ran pass Katella Ave, along West street to Cerritos Ave. The Northern border (at Cerritos) ran right thru what is now the Jungle Cruise Hippo pool. The North East corner of the Walnut tree ranch was where the giant Eucalyptus trees stood for many years, directly behind City Hall. I believe those trees were planted by Jon Rea, possibly as a wind break.

The Victorian style Rea home was off the ranch property in downtown Anaheim. After being purchased by Anaheim's mayor in the 1920's the house was relocated a couple blocks to the west. After being moved once again in 2007, this time just a couple more blocks, it has recently been restored.
    Thank you for the details!

There's a photo of the restored Rea house (now at 129 W. Stueckle Ave. in Anaheim) at this City of Anaheim - Historic Preservation web page.

Does anyone know how the Rea family pronounced their surname? I assume it's pronounced "ray," just as the surname Rhea is usually pronounced "ray." But perhaps I'm mistaken.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    I feel for the bus driver though. I know how cool it is to have Disney trivia that you think no one else knows and how bad you feel when you find it is inaccurate. I hope you gave him a bit of trivia he could use.
    Alas, I did not give him good "replacement" trivia. Unfortunately, it had to be a very quick conversation because the driver had to return to Disneyland to pick up more guests.

I made a point about mentioning what a pleasant driver he was because that's not always the case.

I had an obnoxious Disney's Magic Express driver heading back to Orlando International in 2009. Not only was his trivia wrong, but he made it very clear that his trivia was an example of the "exceptional service" he was providing, and that a sign at the front of the bus said that guests could tip for exceptional service. (It wasn't even fun inaccurate trivia that I could use as the basis of an article!)
    Werner Weiss

• Disneyland History Lover

Loved your article, Werner! I love learning about towns' history and beginnings. It's the sort of information that is relevant and cannot be lost. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Thank you for the details!

There's a photo of the restored Rea house (now at 129 W. Stueckle Ave. in Anaheim) at this City of Anaheim - Historic Preservation web page.

Does anyone know how the Rea family pronounced their surname? I assume it's pronounced "ray," just as the surname Rhea is usually pronounced "ray." But perhaps I'm mistaken.
    "Ray" is how they pronounced it in the Anaheim Library Disney reading room when I met with the archivist in the late 90s.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Another fun article Werner. This is one of those trivia bits that I can now correctly relate so my family and friends will look at me like "How the heck do you know that?" I too hope the driver one days reads this. This would still be an interesting factoid to relate to guests giving some history (and perspective) of Anaheim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast