• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 6, 2010 - Jack Wrather - Legendary, but not a Legend

One name is conspicuously absent from the Disney Legends roster—as of now. The name is John Devereaux Wrather, Jr. (1918-1984), or Jack Wrather as he was usually called.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Question Re: August 6, 2010 - Jack Wrather - Legendary, but not a Legend

So if Disney owns the Wrather Corp, does this mean they own the rights to the Lone Ranger?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Re: August 6, 2010 - Jack Wrather - Legendary, but not a Legend

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    So if Disney owns the Wrather Corp, does this mean they own the rights to the Lone Ranger?
    Disney really only wanted the Disneyland Hotel and the rights to put the Disney name on other hotels at Disneyland. Disney was unable to build other Disney hotels at Disneyland as long as Wrather retained the rights.

Disney sold off other Wrather Corporation assets. As far as I know, Disney off sold the Lone Ranger too.

I just did a quick Google search. It showed that Classic Media now owns the rights to the Lone Ranger. It would take more research to get the full story.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

I'm not saying that Jack Wrather shouldn't be a legend, but shouldn't Ron Miller get his legend first?

Why isn't anyone else frustrated that Ron Miller isn't a legend?!? Let's make him a legend before he passes away!

• ...my first visit to DL

Thanks again Werner for highlighting an important piece of Disneyland's past. I've enjoyed Don Ballard's book - that and your column today bring back many memories of that magic Hotel.

I remember my first trip to Disneyland. We were Ohio people and I'd been to WDW way too many times by the ripe old age of 13. But the Disneyland experience was so different, so magical. And I credit the Disneyland Hotel for a lot of that.

There was something classy and still over the top about the Disneyland Hotel back then. Like the old Contemporary Resort, it had theming, but it was episodic, as were its "Disney moments," which were relegated to a few shops, a character breakfast, other minor references. And, of course, that slithering monorail with the Bob Gurr styling.

Instead of in-your-face Disney, the hotel was chock-full of places to explore. I was a kid and there were arcades, pools, neat snack shops...the stuff you'd expect at a resort. But it wasn't so "master planned" that all of those elements were forced into some centralized area. Instead, thet were distributed throughout the property. You really did get to go on a journey, through waterfalls and caves, "exotic" shops, even underwater!

The fact that the resort still had its older garden wings...it felt connected to its history. Sure it was clunky at times, but it was also authentic.

I still enjoy the Disneyland Hotel, but not as much, and definitely not in the same way.

Jack and Bonita Wrather created something magical in that first Disneyland Resort. They should both be Disney Legends.

And Ron Miller should be too!

• ...TWO BITS!

You can do a "The Happiest Hotel on Earth Tour" at the hotel. Every Wednesday at 1pm.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park