Thread: Tobacco Shop

Smile Tobacco Shop

I worked in the Tobacco Shop (late '80's, early '90's). High school kids used to come in to by cigarettes and would get furious when we asked for ID. Had to be 16.[/FONT]

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: Tobacco Shop

I still can't believe Disney used to sell tabacco, it just doesn't seem right. But from what I've heard and read they didn't have any characters on them so I guess I could give them credit for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    I still can't believe Disney used to sell tabacco, it just doesn't seem right. But from what I've heard and read they didn't have any characters on them so I guess I could give them credit for doing that.
    I don't find it shocking at all. Walt was a heavy smoker. Of course he would have wanted a tobacco shop....but he had issues with gum ..

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

It seems wrong now, but wasn't at the time.

• Fountain Fan

Why not a tobacconist? Main Street had a hatter, a barber shop, a flower shop, a pharmacy, a candy store, a penny arcade, a theater and a candle shop. And back then, smoking wasn't taboo - today, smokers, even courteous and polite ones, are treated like villains (though, admittedly, it's impolite smokers who boost this impression).

Does anyone know what year the Disneyland Tobacco Shop closed? I've been told (and read) late 1970s more than once, but that can't be right; I bought two pipes there in 1990 or 91. Can't remember the exact date - I was 12. (Hey! I was a collector then, not a smoker!)

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JonasClark View Post
    Why not a tobacconist? Main Street had a hatter, a barber shop, a flower shop, a pharmacy, a candy store, a penny arcade, a theater and a candle shop. And back then, smoking wasn't taboo - today, smokers, even courteous and polite ones, are treated like villains (though, admittedly, it's impolite smokers who boost this impression).

Does anyone know what year the Disneyland Tobacco Shop closed? I've been told (and read) late 1970s more than once, but that can't be right; I bought two pipes there in 1990 or 91. Can't remember the exact date - I was 12. (Hey! I was a collector then, not a smoker!)
    Tobacco Shop at Yesterland

Says 1991.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I loved the Tobacco Shop on Main Street and I think it should still be there along with the full Penny Arcade and a few other missing shops from the old days.

Main Street was supposed to representative of the Main Street of turn of the century, middle America where Walt grew up and the tobacco shop was a fixture in most of those main streets all across the country.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I don't find it shocking at all. Walt was a heavy smoker. Of course he would have wanted a tobacco shop....but he had issues with gum ..
    I don't like the mix of Disney and smoking since it resulted in one of the saddest days in history on December 15, 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• This is it... COME ON!!

Thumbs down Re: Tobacco Shop

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    I don't like the mix of Disney and smoking since it resulted in one of the saddest days in history on December 15, 1966.
    Exactly.
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.