Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: September 3, 2010: Rocket Rods

My husband worked this attraction from Nov 98 to April 2000. When running at full capacity of 23 cars, usually 21-22 cars, we could move almost 1100 guests through the attraction an hour. Most of the breakdowns lasted less than ten minutes and it would not operate during rain. Although taking a lot of criticism, guests always wanted to ride it. Afterall, it was the fastest attraction in the park, beating Space Mountain by 1.3 MPH, until they added more speakers and the weight increased their speed. The track length was just under 5000 feet and the Michelin tires were replaced every two weeks on each vehicle. Unfortunately it could not maintain a monthly average of efficiency of 85%, which is required of all attractions. We believe they could have improved the electronics of the vehicles and cut the down times, but they apparently did not want to invest further in the attraction.

I went on this ride once. The sun was up when I got in line and had set and day went to night before I got in the Rod. Something like a 2.5 hour wait.

I remember more about the queue than the ride itself. With it being night, it was a combination of can't-see-anything-in-here and can't-see-anything-out-here glimpses and it was over in what seemed like 30 seconds.

Cool concept. Terrible execution.

BRING THE PEOPLE MOVER BACK!!

• Animatronic

Having an annual pass at the time I kept trying and trying to get on the ride when it wasn't broken down. Managed to ride it a few times (and got to see the line even more). Certainly not worth the wait. Frustrating to go through Space Mountain and Star Tours and over the sub lagoon and NOT be able to see anything. I don't think a ride needs a story, but it needs some pacing. People Mover had that with the view of the entrance of Tomorrowland, then on to some attraction peeks, then out over the lagoon. Rocket Rods was mostly a view of a headrest unless you were in front, where it got a bit better, but was still pretty much a "huh?" attraction.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    In 1998, Tomorrowland at Disneyland received a major overhaul. The big attraction was the Rocket Rods ride. But it didn't stay around long.

As I recall, the ride tended to break down often. I went to the park a couple times during the RR's run, and it was never working. I never did get on the thing.

The People Mover otoh was a fun, relaxing ride. I still miss that rotating entry/exit platform!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

There was nothing wrong with the 1967-1997 Tomorrowland, but Pressler wanted to change it anyway. The People Mover has to come back one way, but thanks to regulations, it might take a few years.
    Last edited by CaptainEO,ATIS; 10-31-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    There was nothing wrong with the 1967-1997 Tomorrowland....
    Well, there was nothing wrong with it in 1967, but by 1997 it was ripe for change.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Well, there was nothing wrong with it in 1967, but by 1997 it was ripe for change.
    But the change it got was the change it didn't deserve. :/

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

^^ Agreed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12