Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Shubisha

Re: September 10, 2010: PeopleMover

Were the rocket jets dismantled or something for this picture?:P The elevator is blocking the jet structure or something at an interesting angle but I feel like I'd still be seeing it...

http://www.yesterland.com/images-tom...irca1995cb.jpg

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Were the rocket jets dismantled or something for this picture?:P The elevator is blocking the jet structure or something at an interesting angle but I feel like I'd still be seeing it...

Good question.

I don't have an answer.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Blew By You

I guess I became complacent about the People Mover, believing that it would always be around. I always rode it on every visit, and just couldn't believe that there were plans for its removal. So, I enjoy the pictures and story, and at the same time, get angry for its removal and anger for the person who lead the plan for removing it. Definitely a conflicting moment now.

Several quick points against reopening the Peoplemover: the drive motors were removed from the tracks when Rocket Rods were installed, and one of the reasons Rocket Rods were removed was the damage to the track caused the speed & mass of the ride vehicles (supposedly they'd have to remove and replace the track to put anything up there now).

Personally I'd like to see the track replaced with one equipped with Linear Induction motors, new cars themed to match the styling of the Mark VII Monorail, and a new double track section that crosses over the Monorail track, over the parade route, and between the Princess Fantasy Faire & Casey Jr/Storyland Canal Boats to a station in the current location of the Fantasyland Skyride station (theming that station to match the original Skyride station's Black Forest Coo Coo Clock/Fantasy Gingerbread look), allowing you to go on a 10 minute one way trip from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland or vice versa.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post

The Rocket Jets were dismantled and inspected in 1990, after the Dumbo incident. You can see more pictures here.

Also, any idea what is happening at The Lunching Pad (not Lunch Pad) with the ropes and spotlight?

http://www.yesterland.com/images-tom...elow1995cb.jpg

• Banned User

What happened to the articles on the just closed Maliboomer, Sun hubcap, and the Bountiful Farm? DCA is a Yesterdayland Theme Park.

I miss the PeopleMover. I wonder why they won't bring the ride back. It shouldn't be hard to make the changes to the track to add it back in, but I'm sure the cars will be expensive to redesign and produce. I wonder if guest misconduct is one reason they removed the ride.

• Layabout

Is the track still intact where it goes through the Buzz Lightyear building?

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Thanks for the awesome article, Werner. Great pictures and memories.

Bring back the PeopleMover!!!!!!!!

-DrA

• FastPass n00b

I've seen TONS of pictures of the old PeopleMover and although they have been really nostalgic and good, I don't think ANY of them truly *captured* the feel of the attraction and its surrounding area better than these. I could literally feel like I was right back there in that time period and there's just something about the angles that are so natural that it looks exactly like it did when I rushed up those ramps so enthusiastically to ride one of my favorite rides.

I was a skittish rider and I wouldn't go near the Mountains with a 10' foot pole, I *barely* made it on Pirates of the Carribbean, and only because I enjoyed the slower part of the ride. So rides like the PeopleMover, it's a small world, Casey Jr., Captain EO and other slow/non-moving rides were VERY important to me. I didn't even like Star Tours when it first came out (scared of it!). There are so many fond memories of going up these speed ramps as the last ride of the night when no one was in line and just taking in all the Tomorrowland atmosphere of the era.

Thank you SOOO much Werner! I can't describe to you how much these pictures and article meant to me. Like I said, I've seen lots of old pictures of the attraction and area, but none of them were really able to put me directly into the time period like these did. THIS is the Disneyland I know and cherish, and the day it comes back is the day Tomorrowland becomes my favorite land once again.

Excellent article!

• FastPass n00b

I remember this drinking fountain very well. One of the more painful memories was the day I found out America Sings was coming out, I was taking a drink from this fountain the moment I heard the news. Also, it was highly reflective stainless steel... in the middle of the day if you stuck your head over it, it created a parabola (like a satellite dish) and created a HUGE amount of heat on your face. It was like a magnifying glass for the sun, and it hurt, LOL. Only in Disneyland could a drinking fountain contain priceless memories.

• The one, the only...

The peoplemover was a wonderful ride. I know it was not a thrill ride, but with the views and futuristic buildings one could feel like you were in the future for a few moments. That was when people looked forward to the future.

Walt's original idea was a demonstration of a futuristic public transportation system. It was not meant to be a thrill ride. But it was comfortable and a pleasant way to get around.

I wish there were some people with imagination at Disney who could think up a new way to get around that would be pleasant that could use the track. I am not so much wanting to bring back the Peoplemover, as much as I would love a new leisure ride that would use the same track.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    The Rocket Jets were dismantled and inspected in 1990, after the Dumbo incident. You can see more pictures here.

Also, any idea what is happening at The Lunching Pad (not Lunch Pad) with the ropes and spotlight?

I think it's filming for a commercial or for a sing-long?

Timekeeper

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post

The date of the photo is January 21, 1993 if that helps anyone figure out what they were filming.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Dante101 View Post
    Is the track still intact where it goes through the Buzz Lightyear building?
    Good question.

I have to believe that the answer is yes, although I have no way of knowing this. All I can do is to make an educated guess.

The track still enters the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters building from the outside. If the designers of the ride had wanted to reclaim the space that the track right-of-way takes up, I assume they would have sealed the point where the track enters the building to incorporate that space into the ride.

Ideally, the Imagineers even considered the possibility of track being used again in the future. The PeopleMover in Florida offers a good view into Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Perhaps Disneyland will have something similar some day.

By the way, I realize that the turning-tire motor units are long gone. The tubular rail of Rocket Rods is now on the track structure. If a new PeopleMover comes to Disneyland, chances are it won't use turning-tire motor units or the tubular rail. It wouldn't be cheap or easy to put a new ride in, but it would do a lot to improve the Tomorrowland guest experience.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Good question.

I have to believe that the answer is yes, although I have no way of knowing this. All I can do is to make an educated guess.

The track still enters the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters building from the outside. If the designers of the ride had wanted to reclaim the space that the track right-of-way takes up, I assume they would have sealed the point where the track enters the building to incorporate that space into the ride.

Ideally, the Imagineers even considered the possibility of track being used again in the future. The PeopleMover in Florida offers a good view into Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Perhaps Disneyland will have something similar some day.

By the way, I realize that the turning-tire motor units are long gone. The tubular rail of Rocket Rods is now on the track structure. If a new PeopleMover comes to Disneyland, chances are it won't use turning-tire motor units or the tubular rail. It wouldn't be cheap or easy to put a new ride in, but it would do a lot to improve the Tomorrowland guest experience.
    The track is fully intact inside of Buzz. There was some sort of interview when the attraction was about to open...I don't have the link or anything, but the Imagineer interviewed that was a part of the building crew said that the Imagineers purposefully left the track intact in hopes of a future PeopleMover-type attraction making a comeback.

In fact, you can see the track while inside the Buzz VS Zurg room when Buzz tells you to "blast him with everything you got!" You have to turn to look where you entered the room from - above the door opening with the previous track where the tunnel is located, you can make out an opening with some track laid out. That's where it is!

I have seen Disney suits walking the PeopleMover track quite a bit over the past few years, seen the deserted tunnels lit up with clearly something curious going on inside...Imagineering has been trying for years to come up with something to put on top of those tracks (well, maybe after they are ripped out and replaced themselves...there is debate whether or not the supports are ruined from Rocket Rods).

The biggest issue right now, the state of the tracks aside, is the design of the ride vehicles. Imagineering either has to severely enclose guests in the new ride vehicles or make some serious changes to the tunnels etc. that the track currently passes through.

Maybe they already have a plan, but in the end, they are still waiting for the New New Tomorrowland to get the official green-light. When that happens, we'll see a new PeopleMover-type attraction and a lot of other new things in Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 09-16-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast