• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

October 8, 2010: Original Games of the Boardwalk

Real amusement piers have carnival games. And, by golly, so does Yester California Adventure.

Link to Original Games of the Boardwalk at Yesterland.

Please discuss Games of the Boardwalk and other carnival games at Disney parks here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Not a Crook

Re: October 8, 2010: Original Games of the Boardwalk

Nice article as always. I guess I'm of the thought that even though Walt might not have wanted it, I actually like a few carnival games when it's appropriate. They fit with the theme of the area, and I think a classic boardwalk would feel a lot emptier without a few of those games. I'm glad they went for higher quality ones in the end.

However, if anyone knows where they're keeping those skee ball machines, I might have to pay a visit...
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

The original games are yet another sad example of the influence of Pressler and Braverman. Naming them with puns does not make them any more special. I have no problem with the new games, if you're going to have a boardwalk, it makes sense to have a few games.

The important part is the theme, and I think the Victorian boardwalk theme is just fine. Disney should not do carny, but I always thought they should do the 'ultimate' boardwalk. The Boardwalk Resort in WDW doesn't quite work, IMO, because it doesn't have any rides, but then again, it's a hotel.

I think what they're doing with Paradise Pier is fine. I just wish they could have picked a better name - something with 'Pacific", why couldn't it have been Pacific Pier? Because it's too close to Pacific Ocean Park? It's not exact, I don't see why they couldn't use it. Or Pacific Bay Boardwalk, anything, Paradise Pier is the one thing that's not 'California' enough.

My husband is sure there were two shooting galleries at Disneyland. The only one I'm able to recall is the one at Frontierland. We welcome you're reply.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I remember them like it was just yesterday, when DCA was in AP preview mode before it's grand opening. So, World Creative Solutions made all the signs for DCA? No wonder DCA looked so bad!(Though, it's not WCS's fault for DCA's Failure.)

Timekeeper

• Infinitized!

Good article. Something caught my eye in the following photo that was in the article. I see two CMs on the Screamin' track. What happened that day? A problem with block breaks or something?

The Pier is definitely looking much better with it's new makeover.

• It's pronounced "treesh"

Quote Originally Posted by vivian View Post
    My husband is sure there were two shooting galleries at Disneyland. The only one I'm able to recall is the one at Frontierland. We welcome you're reply.
    There was a short-lived shooting gallery in Adventureland, too. There's a picture of it posted here which you can click on to enlarge.

-Jon
    Cleverly disguised as a grown-up
    Did someone say pictures?!? http://triesch.smugmug.com

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by vivian View Post
    The 1964 Disneyland map shows three shooting galleries:

The one on Main Street was Main Street Shooting Gallery (1955-1962); it was accessed from within the Penny Arcade. I'm not sure why it's still on the 1964 map

The one in Adventureland was the Big Game Safari Shooting Gallery (1962-1982).

The one in Frontierland is still there.
    Werner Weiss

Well I just found out that the company responsible for ditching backstory opportunities in favour of puns at DCA is the same company that wrote the parody lyrics for some House of Mouse songs that I thought were incredibly clumsy (saying "and in the blink-of-an eye!" quickly doesn't change the fact its one syllable too many, and "Just lift your tail and your beak, now you're aerodynamique" ... really?).

("Soup or Salad, Fries or Biscuits" is nice though.)

Is anyone else suprised that WDI outsources naming like this? I definately agree that coming up with nomenclature requires aptitude and flair for language to be good, but I would have thought the Imagineers possessed those skills in-house.
    Last edited by MouseketeerCole; 10-09-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

"Dolphin Derby: A dozen diving dolphins are racing from San Diego to Sacramento in this swimmingly swell water-gun game"

Anybody besides me notice that the Dolphin Derby game pictured is not a water-gun game but the more classic role the ball in the hole game?

Did they get the description wrong or was the game changed at some point?

There's another problem with that description: Sacramento isn't on the water. How are the dolphins supposed to get there? Yah, it sounds nice to have the two locations start with an "s", but at what cost? Why not say San Diego to Santa Barbara, or Big Sur? I'm sure if they looked at a map, they could come up with plenty of other options that would have worked with the pun as well as geography.

There's also the eigth often-forgotten Game of the Boardwalk, that was left out of this article. Reboundo Beach (I think that's its proper name) was included under the same title, even though it was physically removed from the others. The location in front of Pizza Oom Mow Mow, next to the SS Rustworthy, made it very easy to pass by, but I think it was the best themed of the set. It also lasted the longest before a major refurbishment, closing about a month ago with the rest of that area. Lists often left it out, simply because it was easy to forget, but it was staffed by the same crew of CMs as the rest of the games.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by LymanHunt View Post
    Anybody besides me notice that the Dolphin Derby game pictured is not a water-gun game but the more classic role the ball in the hole game?

Did they get the description wrong or was the game changed at some point?
    Here's a photo by Allen Huffman from February 18, 2001. That was just 10 days after the official grand opening of Disney's California Adventure.

It wasn't a water gun game then either. I think it's safe to say it was never a water gun game; the description on the official website was wrong.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by FerretAfros View Post
    There's also the eigth often-forgotten Game of the Boardwalk, that was left out of this article. Reboundo Beach (I think that's its proper name) was included under the same title, even though it was physically removed from the others.
    I decided not to include Reboundo Beach in this article because it wasn't on the billboard and it wasn't with the other games on the Boardwalk.

I plan to include Reboundo Beach in my Pizza Oom Mow Mow article.
    Werner Weiss

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    The 1964 Disneyland map shows three shooting galleries:

The one on Main Street was Main Street Shooting Gallery (1955-1962); it was accessed from within the Penny Arcade. I'm not sure why it's still on the 1964 map

The one in Adventureland was the Big Game Safari Shooting Gallery (1962-1982).

The one in Frontierland is still there.
    Don't forget the shooting games in the Davy Crockett arcade and in Teddy Barra's swinging arcade. They were electronic, but they were shooting galleries. I especially liked the Davy Crockett one with the bears that would run around and climb the trees as you shot them.

• Disneyland History Lover

I believe I only ever saw these once in person on my first trip to DCA in 2007. (Or was it twice on a subsequent visit?) Just seeing the picture of the game facades brings back the memory. I had completely forgotten what they'd looked like. But now I remember well. They are quite jarring compared to the much more charming facades that are there now.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM