Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• My Own Oasis

Re: October 15, 2010: Bountiful Valley Farm

Never had a chance to visit the original 'Farm'. And from the looks of it, seemed like a nice charming area of the park that actually did fit the California theme. All it needed was a better attraction to make the place more active.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    All photos in the article were by Allen Huffman, who lives in Iowa. He gets credit for the foresight.
    I agree Allen is a precious resource, how great it would be to have had someone like him during Disneyland's early years, taking pictures of menu boards, inside shops, restaurants, and the like. Most people take pictures of themselves, popular landmarks and rides - nice, but very common.

I for one like 'It's Tough To Be A Bug', I like all the 'tricks' during the show. It's kind of like taking friends on Haunted Mansion and watch them being surprised. In ITTBAG I always look around to see the reaction of the people being 'stung' at the end. It may not be awe-inspiring like 3D movies like Avatar, but those movies get their awe factor from sweeping shots of flying, etc. ITTBAG is set on a stage, and does what it does convincingly, IMO.

I agree that 3D movies, movies in general, and stage shows in general are less repeatable than rides. I also enjoyed HISTA, but think it could have been improved - the characters on stage were blurry and washed out by the bright light, they could have improved it with CGI characters. But the effect of shrinking was IMO convincing. I also miss the Country Bears. I know there are people who don't like these shows, but the reason I like them is that they are creative and you cannot find a similar experience anywhere else. Yes there are other 3D shows, but ITTBAG and HISTA are still unique.

One of my hopes is that they will put the Country Bears in DCA's Grizzly River Rapids. Knott's Log Ride is great in atmosphere and theming, and GRR needs more of that, and I think adding the Country Bears will fit the bill.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 10-16-2010 at 09:32 AM.

• The one, the only...

Walt Disney originally had the right idea that Disneyland would take you to places which either were too far away (like Africa in Adventureland) or places you could not go to (i.e. the old West or world of tomorrow). But a farm is common for anyone who does not live in the city. Yes, it fit the "California theme" but did not work because children do not dream of going to a farm. They, if they grew up on one, often dream of leaving it.

Now we get to visit the world of Route 66, a world that sadly has passed away. Even a world of talking Cars. I don't believe that children dream of going to the desert either, but a talking car or getting to drive fast cars might interest them.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

If that means the Farmer's Market is gone, where do I go to get fish and chips in the park now?

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1 View Post
    If that means the Farmer's Market is gone, where do I go to get fish and chips in the park now?
    You don't for now.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Personally, I'll miss this area. It was just a nice, calm area in the park to take a break in. When we visited 2 years ago, my munchkin was just getting to where he knew his critters, and he was excited to see the cows. It's now yet another memory of California Adventure that no longer physically exists, and I'm sad about that.

Two comments in rebuttal to previous comments: Not everyone lives on a farm. In fact, very few people do anymore. Most people don't realize that beef comes from cows - it comes from the grocery store, after all. So to say that a farm is a common experience shows a lack of knowledge of the environment the majority of kids are growing up in today (the majority of the world population is now urban).

Also, I've seen It's Tough to be a Bug at least 20 times, and I'll probably see it at least 10-20 times more. And I still enjoy it. It was fun before the Munchkin showed up, and it's more fun now going to it with him. It does have a place in the park, and I hope they don't get rid of it, too.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

ITTBAG is set on a stage, and does what it does convincingly, IMO.
    It's Tough To Be A . . . Gug??? Actually I enjoy Bug, but I usually wait to see it in WDW. The setting in the base of the Tree of Life in DAK is much cooler than DCA's setting, IMO. Still, I'm glad it's still around.

But a farm is common for anyone who does not live in the city.
    For a theme park in southern California, right in the middle of the urban sprawl capital of the world, how many kids close to DL had never seen a farm, or at least thought farms were cool? No, the area didn't work because it wasn't built out enough to work. It was just a few plants and some tractors. Now, if they'd put in a milk barn and a real barn with a hay loft and a cattle corral, that might have been interesting.

I won't miss the Maliboomer at all. I never rode it, not being one to enjoy that type of thing. But the minimal theming to a standard off the shelf ride was simply unforgivable for a company with the reputation and history of Disney. Now if they'd just get rid of Mulholland Madness instead of just giving it a Goofy overlay (although I guess I should probably wait to see it before I make a snap judgement).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12