• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

October 29, 2010: Maliboomer

Yester California Adventure is no ordinary carnival, and Maliboomer is no ordinary high-striker game. Here, there are three towers; they're ten times the height of a typical high-striker game; and you get to be the puck!

Link to Maliboomer at Yesterland.

Please discuss Maliboomer here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: October 29, 2010: Maliboomer

Now I can look at Paradise Pier without getting an eyesore. Great Article
    Come all and read about my new Tomorrowland

• A-NET-FAN

Would be interesting to find out if this attraction was sold and opened somewhere else. After all, if that were the case that would make it only the second former Disney park attraction to operate outside a Disney park. Correct?

I think they only took it out because riders couldn't exit through a gift shop.
    Last edited by jaxbistro; 10-29-2010 at 10:32 AM.

• FastPass n00b

The Maliboomer was the *only* SoCal Disney attraction I never went on, quite frankly because it was the only one that scared me too much. I really wanted to ride it, but the sheer size of this ride (especially standing at the bottom) was intimidating enough to always chicken out at the last minute. I love Tower of Terror because it's very well themed, 50 feet shorter and doesn't offer a sense of height until the top, and even then it's just a fleeting view.

Anyway, I just wish to correct Werner in that the Tower of Terror opened in May 2004, not 2005. I remember vividly because a slew of new attractions opened that year in SoCal (Journey to Atlantis, Revenge of the Mummy and Tower of Terror)... I was so stoked!

Great article once again! An attraction that I never rode, but still have no regrets over.

The Maliboomer was without a doubt evidence of the failed DCA, but after reading your article, some thoughts came to my mind.

If it was supposed to be a high striker game, why did they call it Maliboomer? I guess it was yet another lame attempt at a California pun. A better name might have been 'Strike the Bell'.

Also if they wanted to make it look like a high striker game, they should have made it smaller, it wouldn't have had the extreme thrill, but it would have gotten the high striker idea across better, with a loud bell sound, lights that lit up when the bell was hit, etc. They even could have had kids on the side taking their turn striking the hammer, making it look like they caused the seats to go up.

Paradise Pier was supposed to represent the 'hey day of the great amusement piers', but when I think of the heyday, it's the turn of the century, like they're trying to make it now. The era that the original PP represented was more like the 70s, when amusement piers were in decline.

Disney was talking 'heyday' but they were trying to get across 'hip', which is their chronic mistake. The whole original DCA was trying to be a hip new place for people to hang out - Now they're making the same mistake with the gangsta Mickey show, oh well...
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 10-29-2010 at 10:26 AM.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterland
    In May 2005, the California park got its own Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
    2005? Didn't ToT open in 2004?

• Nutty about Disney parks

I always thought this was a cheaper more carnival version of Tower of Terror but when I watched a ride through vid of Youtube on this I was mistaken. This looked like a ride I probably would've enjoyed more than Tower of Terror (as you shoot up faster but come down slower). I now admit that it is a bummer to see it go but I guess it doesnt have a place at Disney...then again neither does Mickey's Fun Wheel, Silly Symphony Swings, and California Screamin but they're still keeping those rides around.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    2005? Didn't ToT open in 2004?
    Yes.

Thank you for catching my typo. I fixed it. It now says May 2004.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Disneyland History Lover

I can't seem to recall ever hearing the bell ring when being launched to the top. Did that effect quit working after the initial years?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    I can't seem to recall ever hearing the bell ring when being launched to the top. Did that effect quit working after the initial years?
    Occasionally, it would work.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Something new should open in it's place other than a park. Like a spinner or something.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!