• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

November 30, 2010: The Hassle-Free WDW Vacation

Author Steven M. Barrett, best known for his books about Hidden Mickeys, is the author The Hassle-Free Walt Disney World Vacation. The book relies heavily on touring plans.

Are touring plans the best thing for first time WDW (and DLR) guests? Or is "educated spontaneity" the way to go?

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: November 30, 2010: The Hassle-Free WDW Vacation

Touring plans are required for certain people, like those who want to get a "Test Pass" for "Fast Track", don't know what attraction is in what park, and ask how to reach Animal Kingdom by monorail.

I personally use educated spontaneity. I know that if I want to get on Toy Story Mania I'm going to get to the park in the morning, get a FP, ride the ride, then head on over to ToT and RnR, hit up GMR, then again TSM. I mean, if you're using those abbreviations, you know what you're doing.

The fact no ride gest a one star and that the Treehouse gets a THREE OUT OF FIVE pretty much means the ratings are useless. At leas the Unofficial Guide lists collected, age based ratings alongside the editor's ratings (which seem to be much better.)
    Last edited by testtrack321; 11-30-2010 at 08:19 AM.

• Banned User

I find Guide Books and Tour Books to be largely useless after I arrive. I will read them intensely before the trip to learn of all the wonderful places to visit or shops to buy or restaurants to eat, and then I make a note of where I want to go and will only go if I have the time.

The Touring Books seems like a good idea, but they don't seem spontaneous. After going on one ride, I need time to absorb what I've seen and then I'll visit the next spot close by. It will be tougher if everyone has different interests and eat/restroom times.

What is really needed is a smartphone application with GPS. A mobile device like a Android or iPhone will pin point where you're located and tell you to visit a ride with short wait times and keep track of your fastpasses. It will save the rides you been on (went on/ignore/wait till later) and countdown the rides you haven't (ride now/later/much later/never). It will take into account your family size and ages (near grave/senior/old adult/mid adult/young adult/teenage/pre-teen/toddler/infant) and likes/dislikes (super thrilling/fast/no thrills/slow/crawl/seated) or any medical conditions (headaches/motion sickness/pregnant/high blood pressure/diabetic/amputee/handicap/fatigue).

I love my Android GPS phone with Google Maps. The walk function is terrific. I can see where I'm going. A WDW walking tour would be great with arrows and photos and perhaps video previews.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Nice Review, Werner!

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.