• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

January 7, 2011: Texas Disney Theme Park?

The Claim: “Disney bought a large amount of land in Texas for a new theme park.”

True or False?

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• will-o-the-whip

Re: January 7, 2011: Texas Disney Theme Park?

I think one of the reasons these rumors keep surfacing in Texas is by unscrupulous real estate agents and property owners to inflate prices. If Disney did come then property values in that area would sky rocket. That's probably why there have been so many rumors in so many different places in Texas. Just another sad commentary on greed and/or unrealistic wishful thinking.

• Lowering Expectations

So.. what about this rumor I heard of a new Disney park in Israel?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Now in Texas!

They're not going to build anything huge here, for exactly the reason you mentioned:

>> Until Disney management feels that a third destination resort in the United States
    >> would result in considerable new business—rather than just cannibalizing Florida’s
    >> Walt Disney World and California’s Disneyland Resort—any new Disney destination
    >> resorts are likely to be overseas.

We're just too close to Orlando and Anaheim. It's an easy plane trip (and not a bad drive!) to get to either one from here. The only way I can ever see Disney putting in a resort in Texas is if it's designed to atttract a local annual passholder-type crowd, and I'd be shocked to see them do that. Texas will never be a destination resort for Disney.

There's more money to be made overseas, and as we all know, Disney is a business.

Sue in Texas
    ...wishin' I had Disneyland nearby, but it ain't gonna happen...

I would put money on something happening near Washington DC before Texas. There is a minor obsession with that area going back to the early 1960s when Walt had Buzz Price conduct a study for a new park. Of course, there was the whole Disney's America project as well. The key is to tap into a market that has a critical mass of visitors. That is not Texas.

Of course, Texas is like a foreign country....

Great article.

Sam
    SamLand's Disney Adventures

• Disneyland History Lover

I, for one, would love such a thing to actually happen. It looks like it probably won't, at least not for a long while if ever, but if it did, that might be incentive enough for me to move back to Texas. Part of the reason I haven't moved back, in all honesty, is because I'm down the street from Disneyland. But if I had one in my own backyard, I'd consider going back to San Antonio, which is a beautiful city. There's already Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Sea World Over Texas there. A large Disney Resort just outside the city would be a real dream.

Werner, that photo shopped image of the WDW Castle is absolutely priceless!

I can actually shed quite a bid of light on why there's an ongoing Disney Park-in-Texas rumor:

A large theme park and entertainment resort is on the boards for an as-of-yet undeveloped plot of land north of Houston, in the small town of New Caney. Ex-Disney Imagineers, who now work at Contour Entertainment, are at the helm of the creative design and master-planning, which is why the Disney name keeps weaseling its way into discussions.

See the following comprehensive websites:
    Eco-Resort, Hotel, Conference Center and Theme Park | Earth Quest Resort
    EarthQuest Institute

(I'm a private/individual donor to the non-profit EarthQuest Institute component of the resort, and have been following the development of the project very closely since it was first proposed as a minor "dinosaur park"... ...all the way back in 2006.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Nice article, Werner! I like the photo-shopped image of the IASW sign.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

I think the weather that Texas is experiencing this week is one more reason there will never be a Disney park there. Even in Houston, there are freezing temps and ice and snow. I know the parks in Tokyo and Paris are open 365, but Americans don't go to theme parks in the winter. It's just not in our nature.

• Choir nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I think the weather that Texas is experiencing this week is one more reason there will never be a Disney park there. Even in Houston, there are freezing temps and ice and snow.
    I've lived in Texas for 13 years and this is by far the worst winter we've had. It is very unusual for us to have snow on the ground for more than a day.