• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

January 8, 2011: Bud Hurlbut (1918-2011)

Bud Hurlbut was not only the creative force behind several Knott’s attractions, including the park’s masterpieces—the Calico Mountain Mine Ride and the Timber Mountain Log Ride—he also financed, built, owned, and operated them.

Historian Chris Jepsen wrote a tribute to Bud Hurlbut, who died January 5, 2011.

Link to Bud Hurlbut (1918-2011) at Yesterland

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Yesterland AP

Re: January 8, 2011: Bud Hurlbut (1918-2011)

Thanks for reposting this, Werner. I look forward to hearing from other folks who can share stories about Bud.

• The Study of Wumbo

Lovely article. Very nice work of his. Nice to see people that were innovating outside of Disney. Where can I get one of those miniature paddlewheelers?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

We will miss him greatly.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• All Disney, All the Time

A great article! He will be missed very very much!

One little picky point. The article states, "Hurlbut was an innovator, and his inventions, like flume rides and various motors, were adopted later by much of the theme park industry." The flume ride was actually first seen at Six Flags Over Texas in 1963. It was the "El Aserradero."