Thread: Yester maps?

Yester maps?

I stumbled upon Yesterland.com the other day, and I've been really enjoying reading up on the site and exploring it.

I'm a bit of a map geek. Don't really know why, but I really enjoy pouring over maps, especially historic maps (such as old railroad maps of my city) to see how things have changed over time.

I'm sure the logistics of gathering source material would be difficult, but I think it'd be very interesting if Yesterland could obtain and provide some high resolution scans of different versions of the park maps handed out to guests over the years.

Might make for a neat section of the site. Keep up the good work!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Re: Yester maps?

Quote Originally Posted by jdo View Post
    I'm sure the logistics of gathering source material would be difficult, but I think it'd be very interesting if Yesterland could obtain and provide some high resolution scans of different versions of the park maps handed out to guests over the years.
    I'm a bit of a map geek too.

I'm not a big collector of Disney souvenirs, but I have a pretty good collection of large Disneyland souvenir maps over the decades. I sometimes run excerpts from them within articles, but I never publish entire maps due to copyright considerations.

In the right context, republishing an entire map might be justifiable as "fair use" under copyright law. But, as of now, I can't think of such a context.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Ah, that's a bummer about the copyright issues, I hadn't considered that.

• Mousketeer

Werner, it may be considered fair use if you took all of the souvenir maps and overlayed the changes over time, but probably better to do that with some kind of blueprint type of map showing the location of different things over time, like the railroad's change from being triangular to more round, where the pancake house was, etc.

The souvenir ones aren't too accurate, so it may be more of a fun project to base off of a reality, then you could reference that on yesterland. of course, you could also then insert gps coordinates, and make an app out of it, hey, maybe we should collaborate....

i believe i have all the large park maps of disneyland ever released. I have twenty-five. Do you know where i can find an official list?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by mapman View Post
    i believe i have all the large park maps of disneyland ever released. I have twenty-five. Do you know where i can find an official list?
    I'm not aware of an official list of all poster-size Disneyland maps.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions