Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

March 18, 2011: Places Not to Drink at the Magic Kingdom

In the tradition of the original Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World does not serve alcohol—not even beer and wine—to the general public during normal operating hours. But there are plenty of places not to drink alcohol there—even though they appear to be drinking spots or they suggest alcohol in one way or another.

So, in this article, we’re taking a tour of the Magic Kingdom to look for good places not to drink alcohol.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• will-o-the-whip

Re: March 18, 2011: Places Not to Drink at the Magic Kingdom

I think there would be a hue and cry from many if Disney changed policy to allow alcohol in the Magic Kingdoms. It's especially nice to be somewhere on New Year's Eve where not everyone is smashed. The potential profit that Disney would accrue from alcohol sales is outweighed by the public relations black-eye they would receive for not being "family-friendly."

• former CM

Excellent column, Werner!
    Thank you!

When I worked at Disneyland in the 80s, a cast member in a break room listed many instances of "drinking" alcohol by audio-animatronic animals & people on attractions. "America Sings" had a whole bunch of references to imbibing.

This was an incredibly clever article. I enjoyed this very much. It is ironic that there are so many references to consuming alcohol in many of the attractions in both DL and DW but both parks do not serve any to preserve a family atmosphere. I read somewhere that Marc Davis was a fan of the drink so he implemented a lot of references to alcohol into all the classic attractions. I watched America Sings on YouTube to refresh my memory of the show... half the AAs are drinking beer or some type of drink. It's hilarious I never even noticed this when I was a kid.

• Seasick

Very clever article.

I'm fine with the alcohol policy at the Magic Kingdom. If someone wants a drink that badly, they can walk to the Contemporary, or take the Monorail to Epcot or another resort.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

A very fun twist to this article, Werner. It's amazing how many references to spirits there are in a place where you can't imbibe! And from my participation on forum discussions on this subject, Disney fans would rise up and form a hit squad if Disney were ever to allow alcohol in either the MK or DL park.

Now, for me, I'd much rather spend time thinking about places where I CAN drink, like the Rose & Crown, the Tune In Lounge, Mizner's in the GF, the Uva Bar in DL's Downtown Disney . . . and the list goes on!

• Banned User

I think its a waste of space to make a tavern and not have actual drinks. Maybe you should have included a menu of non-alcoholic drinks that they offered. Did they offer pub food?

I think a fake bar is just as bad of an environment as an actual bar. I wouldn't take my kid there. For adults, its a big disappointment. It's something you pass through and don't linger.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I think a fake bar is just as bad of an environment as an actual bar. I wouldn't take my kid there.
    Really? Just because it's a bar, like with a countertop and some neon signs, it's a bad environment?

It'd be easy to come up with an equivalent list for Disneyland. I think you've touched on one of the real reasons I like Disneyland so much: being a non-drinker, it's really nice to have so many authentic places to not have a drink, compared to real life. Didn't make the connection until now.

Did you know that Six Flags parks are getting licenses for alcohol? SFOT started serving beer last year and I think SFMM is going to do the same this year.

Where are the protests?

I consider myself a Disney purist, and I'm not a drinker, but personally I wouldn't object to beer or wine served at some Magic Kingdom restaurants. My concern would be the effect it would have on customers, whether they would actually get drunk and affect other customers. Is it a problem at the other parks that serve alcohol? If it is, I would not approve of it for MK. If it's not a problem, I would think it's ok. Also, maybe not at counter service restaurants, and not at restaurants that appeal to kids, like character dining, but at a table service restaurant, I think a glass of wine is ok. Also, I would keep Disneyland the way it is.

Well, I live and work in France. My work location is the Disneyland Park in Paris.
    Here in 1992 @ the opening day the policy was exactly the same as the other Magic Kingdoms. But soon, people started complaining about the fact that eating in the nice restaurants of the park (especially Walt's or the Silver Spur Steackhouse) they couldn't enjoy a nice glass of wine. In 1993 wine and beer were introduced in table service and even counter. The only policy is that alchool must be served with food and not sold alone.

• is too darn hot.

Drinking alcohol has been an integral part of human culture since the discovery of fermentation. It's interesting to see how this history conflicts with the general teetotaling attitude prevalent at the time that Disneyland was created. I generally agree with Disneyland's and the other Magic Kingdoms' non-drinking policies, given the way that it's more acceptable to be drunk in public these days than it used to be, but it would be nice to have a nice beer or a glass of wine with a fine-dining table0service meal at, say, Cinderella's Table or the Blue Bayou.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    My concern would be the effect it would have on customers, whether they would actually get drunk and affect other customers. Is it a problem at the other parks that serve alcohol? If it is, I would not approve of it for MK. If it's not a problem, I would think it's ok.
    It's been my experience that alcohol in a Disney park is a big non-issue. Sure, there's the occasional idiot who overdoes it. But for the most part people seem to be responsible with their drinking. They just don't come to a Disney park to get blitzed. And as BassBone said, it sure would be nice to enjoy a glass of wine with that nice meal at the Blue Bayou!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I am just as glad that they sell Non-Alcoholic drinks. (though for some places, I think it would be nice, like Blue Bayou.)

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast