• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

April 22, 2011: WDW Then & Now - Future World, Part 2

Last month, I published Part 1 of a two-part photo essay comparing Future World at Epcot in 1983 and 2011. Here’s the conclusion, with a look at The Land, Imagination, and Universe of Energy.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: April 22, 2011: WDW Then & Now - Future World, Part 2

I have to say that as much as I love Epcot, Disney really should have left well enough alone with regards to the structures and landscaping. Even now, looking at the photos from 1983, the whole area looks more futuristic and alive than the current incarnation. The whole park just seemed cleaner and more streamlined in 1983. If I could give one piece of advice to the park executives it would be just this: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Best advice anybody could ever receive.

• Registered Member

I really like the comparing you did between both years in parts one and two. It's amazing to see the differences that happened between those years.

I agree that the landscaping is overdone, couldn't you have smaller trees that still provide shade but don't obstruct the views?

I like the original ceiling on the Land better.

Ellen - a big mistake to theme it to a TV series, because TV series fade quickly. Don't even consider doing a Lost attraction. Actually, I think even live action movies become quickly outdated, like Harry Potter, the most timeless are animation, the exception IMO is Star Wars and properties like Lord of the Rings, or comics like Marvel.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Choochooboy99 View Post
    I have to say that as much as I love Epcot, Disney really should have left well enough alone with regards to the structures and landscaping. Even now, looking at the photos from 1983, the whole area looks more futuristic and alive than the current incarnation. The whole park just seemed cleaner and more streamlined in 1983. If I could give one piece of advice to the park executives it would be just this: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Best advice anybody could ever receive.
    Good post! I think the newer triangle sculpture by the Imagination pavilion looks very cheap.

And the interior of The Lands was far more attractive before. It also looks cheap and ugly now--gaudy yet industrial.

The Energy Pavilion looked more futuristic before--I liked the fresher-looking orange paint, but I also like the way it looks now. More green. I like Ellen, by the way. Disney was smart to pick her and lucky that she turned out to have such a long and impressive career.

I would have the memorials and other obstructions removed near Spaceship Earth. I've written this before, but where ever possible, tourists should be able to view the lower half of that structure. Many great cities have churches or government buildings topped with domes, but giant, attractive ball buildings are rare. Show it off!

Thanks again, Werner!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    I agree that the landscaping is overdone, couldn't you have smaller trees that still provide shade but don't obstruct the views?

I like the original ceiling on the Land better.

Ellen - a big mistake to theme it to a TV series, because TV series fade quickly. Don't even consider doing a Lost attraction. Actually, I think even live action movies become quickly outdated, like Harry Potter, the most timeless are animation, the exception IMO is Star Wars and properties like Lord of the Rings, or comics like Marvel.
    It wasn't themed to a TV series. It was themed to a person, Ellen DeGeneres. As for the other examples, I really like the original look of the Land better, but I enjoy the current color scheme better. The loss of the fountain in the center of that pavilion is really unfortunate. As for the outside, I really like the newer lush landscaping around the Land, though. It's quite beautiful. I also lament the changes to the Imagination pavilion. I miss the original Journey Through Imagination and their decision to change that classic attraction is really quite tragic. I prefer the plants in the planters around Imagination, as well.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    (...) As for the other examples, I really like the original look of the Land better, but I enjoy the current color scheme better (...) I also lament the changes to the Imagination pavilion. I miss the original Journey Through Imagination and their decision to change that classic attraction is really quite tragic. (...)
    I thought The Land's original look was much better - even the colors. The cooler hues of '83 made for a refreshing break from Florida's summer swelter.

The Imagination pavilion... now you've gone and done it.
    Someone should be Twizzler-whipped for that decision. Tragic? No, more like criminal. I'd toss that current collection of cheap 'illusions' and just re-imagineer a modernized version of the original. Maybe provide 3D 'safety' glasses for some dazzling projections in the time-lapse theater and laser light show sections. S.I.R.-class animatronics for Dreamfinder and Figment. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I can't even imagine what WDI *could* design if allowed.