• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

May 6, 2011: Pizza Oom Mow Mow

As you approach the restaurant, a sign on a blue boogie board invites you in: “Surf into Pizza Oom Mow Mow for an endless summer of party-wave pastas, sunny salads, and perfecto pizzas. In Crust We Trust.”

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Now in Texas!

Re: May 6, 2011: Pizza Oom Mow Mow

Hey, love your columns, Werner.

But I don't think you mentioned that the pizzas were shaped like surfboards when Oom Mow Mow first opened, or that they were pretty good! Times changed, but I still like the pizza tiki. Hope they find a good home for him.

• Registered Member

Great column. I like your back story. But, I do wonder what the real one is. To bad it is gone!!!!!
    Last edited by jpg391; 05-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

As far as places to eat goes, I really enjoyed Pizza Oom Mow Mow. The food was pretty good and the atmosphere fun. My bet is if the attractions had been designed with as much care as the shops and restaurants, Paradise Pier would have been a hige hit with a successful surfer theme.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• The one, the only...

Having grown up in So Cal, I always felt that the restaurant was more of a parody of the surf culture rather than a recreation of it. It did not feel real. It felt more shopping mallesque. Somehow it felt more like it was making fun of surf culture rather than celebrate it. Since the place had no specific time period, it really did not feel fun. If it really tried to bring the guest to the 1960's, it might have been more successful. Where were Frankie Avalon and Annette when you need them?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Having grown up in So Cal, I always felt that the restaurant was more of a parody of the surf culture rather than a recreation of it. It did not feel real. It felt more shopping mallesque. Somehow it felt more like it was making fun of surf culture rather than celebrate it. Since the place had no specific time period, it really did not feel fun. If it really tried to bring the guest to the 1960's, it might have been more successful.
    I didn't want to bash Pizza Oom Mow Mow too much, but i agree with your assessment. Pizza Oom Mow Mow did not feel real. It didn't come across as a Southern California beachfront hangout of the 1960s (or any other particular point in time).

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Where were Frankie Avalon and Annette when you need them?
    On a movie poster inside Pizza Oom Mow Mow:
    Werner Weiss

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I actually liked Pizza Oom Mow Mow (?), because it had a bigger selection in pizzas than Redd's in Disneyland, and that the decor was really cool! Also, wasn't it called Pizza Oom Mow Wow?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I actually liked Pizza Oom Mow Mow (?), because it had a bigger selection in pizzas than Redd's in Disneyland, and that the decor was really cool!
    It will be interesting to see how the pizza and pasta menu at Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta compares to the pizza and pasta menu at Pizza Oom Mow Mow.

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    Also, wasn't it called Pizza Oom Mow Wow?
    It was always called Pizza Oom Mow Mow, not Pizza Oom Mow Wow. (See the photos in the article.)
    Werner Weiss

• Disneyland History Lover

I definitely think the concept of a surf culture-based eatery is a strong one. But like many things in DCA, I don't think it was properly realized. Sure, the building was cool and it was loaded with all sorts of props, but the backstory was hard to pinpoint, and it felt more like a parody of surf culture rather than a recreation of it. As a huge fan of surfer music (well, and pizza), I enjoyed eating in there, but it did feel somewhat amiss due to the aformentioned shortcomings of the restaurant.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    I definitely think the concept of a surf culture-based eatery is a strong one. But like many things in DCA, I don't think it was properly realized.
    I think part of the problem was the context. DCA could have been designed with a "land" that captured the essence of a little town on the Coast Highway in the 1950s or 1960s, with surfers, artists, vacationers, fishermen, and so on. The architecture, signs, lighting, street furniture, and even the landscaping could have been carefully designed to immerse guests in that place and time.

Instead, Pizza Oom Mow Mow was located within a random collection of other structures (I called it a hodgepodge in the article) that failed to create any sort of cohesive environment for guests.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 05-08-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: to fix typos
    Werner Weiss

• Disney fan

There was the most amazing hibiscus bush in front...