• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 1, 2011: America on Parade

Happy birthday to the United States of America! Itís been 200 years since the nationís founding in 1776. (At least that was the case back when this parade ran.)

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• will-o-the-whip

Re: July 1, 2011: America on Parade

That looks amazing, I wish they'd do something like this again. I'm afraid I won't be around in 2076 for the 300th, so perhaps something special in 2026...

• Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: July 1, 2011: America on Parade

I remember America On Parade as if it where yesterday. Its hard to believe that it took place in 1975-1976.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

I still think this, along with the original Main St Electrical Parade, was the best parade they have ever done. I remember it well and still have lots of memorabilia from that summer, including paper napkins, popcorn boxes, commemorative plates, coins, etc.
    It was the quintessential Disney show - I would like to see them bring this back in some form!

• The one, the only...

It was nice seeing the photos of the parade. I remember it well. It was not a highlight for Disney. The Main Street Electrical parade was a masterpiece, but the tall non-smiling characters were not a hit. It was a nice try, but that was the beginning of the dark time at Disneyland when Disney made something and it really was not as wonderful as you hoped.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

I remember America on Parade fondly, the stylized floats remind me of the Soundsational Parade, but somehow I think they were done better in AoP. I disagree on the big heads, I understand that you might think they were creepy, but I think they were overall well done, better than recent efforts.

• Planning my next trip...

Creepy.

I have nothing but fond memories of it. I must be one of the only people around who LIKED the nostalgia and the "big heads," which to me captured a nostalgic view really nicely. Well, then again, I even liked them at EPCOT Center. They were just as creepy as a giant mouse with a three-foot-wide head. I'm a big fan of Disney doing "non-Disney" things, and I remember really loving this parade as a kid. Also, it's great to see those pictures of the Matterhorn without telephone wires emanating from the top!

• Closed Account

I was tickled pink to see this story. I'm a bicentenial baby ( July 1, 1976) and it was so awesome to see pictures of my favorite place on the day I was born.

Pretty strange to see the parade route go through tommorowland like that in between the Matterhorn and the Submarine ride.

Does anyone know if the characters and floats for "America on Parade" were designed by, or inspired by Mary Blair?

at any rate, I love that late 60's - mid 70's, swoopy, psychedelic, look Disney was doing in those days

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by tl77 View Post
    Does anyone know if the characters and floats for "America on Parade" were designed by, or inspired by Mary Blair?

at any rate, I love that late 60's - mid 70's, swoopy, psychedelic, look Disney was doing in those days
    My understanding is that Mary Blair's final project for Walt Disney Productions was the Grand Canyon Concourse tile mural project for the Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World. The hotel opened in 1971.

I've seen concept art for America on Parade, and the style of that art is completely unlike that of Mary Blair.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Oh ok, I googled the concept art, but I though the characters in the parade photos had a very "Small World-esque" look to them, and some of those, gravity defining, skewed floats reminded me of Mary Blair's concept art for Alice in Wonderland. The high backed Chair that Betsy Ross sits in looks like it's straight out of the Alice and Wonderland concepts

I love your site though, and thanks for unearthing all these great memories, designs, and architecture