• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 8, 2011: Aulani's Neighborhood

New photos of Aulani (July 2011) and a look at Aulani's neighborhood, the Ko Olina Resort.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: July 8, 2011: Aulani's Neighborhood

Wow. I know Hawaii is expensive, but it looks like Disney is already trying to price themselves out of the market! The prices for food are seriously over the top.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Very expensive food pricing even by Disney standards! Over 40 bucks for a buffet? I don't care what they are serving, for that price I want to be relaxed and be served!

As usual, your reports are great. Even though at this point I couldn't afford to take the family there I always enjoy your posts!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Disney may be going too high on dining prices during a recession. Hope it doesn't hurt their sales and bookings, but it just might.

I'm a DVC owner at Aulani but I'm sure to visit many of the alternatives Werner mentions in the neighborhood.

Thank you Werner, this was a FANTASTIC article!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Disney may be going too high on dining prices during a recession. Hope it doesn't hurt their sales and bookings, but it just might.
    When Aulani opens, it will have just 209 hotel rooms and 119 two-bedroom equivalent DVC villas — just a fraction of the eventual 360 hotel rooms and 481 DVC villas. But all of the restaurants that will eventually serve the full resort will be open as part of Phase 1. Disney needs to fill tables by attracting guests from the other resorts at Ko Olina. Instead, Disney is likely to see Aulani's guests wander off-site if Aulani fails to deliver reasonable restaurant value.

There is value to Disney's storytelling, and it's part of what the restaurants will provide. But the quality of the food at Aulani will have to be spectacular if I am to return meal after meal rather than walking to Naupaka Terrace, Azul, Chuck's Steak & Seafood, Roy's or other restaurants in walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Thank you Werner, this was a FANTASTIC article!!!
    Thank you!
    Werner Weiss

• Banned User

I noticed the volcano mountain and walls are brown. Usually, the lava rocks are black. I wonder if this means they are faking it. Even if they are, they should have kept the color black as that is the color of lava rock. Many resorts use real lava rock to tile retaining walls. I wonder why Disney choose to fake it and in the wrong color too.

The resort seems massive. The best thing about a Hawaii vacation is relaxing. I hope the pool is large enough to hold the guests without overcrowding.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I noticed the volcano mountain and walls are brown. Usually, the lava rocks are black. I wonder if this means they are faking it. Even if they are, they should have kept the color black as that is the color of lava rock. Many resorts use real lava rock to tile retaining walls. I wonder why Disney choose to fake it and in the wrong color too.
    In fact, it's the opposite. Joe Rohde is striving for authenticity, which is why the lava rock is brown and not black. The idea was to make it look as if the rocks were there before the resort was built.

The volcanic feature is not a recent, active volcano. It's a very old volcanic rock outcropping—and not a volcano at all.

Fresh lava, such as the lava on the Big Island is black. But old volcanic rocks, such as you would find on Oahu, are brown.

The resort seems massive. The best thing about a Hawaii vacation is relaxing. I hope the pool is large enough to hold the guests without overcrowding.
    With the pools in the valley between the towers and the Lagoon 1 beach, there should be many places to relax at Aulani. When only Phase 1 is open, chairs and space should be plentiful (although I'm sure the usual chair hogs will show up). As the build-out continues, there will be more guests, but I'm sure Disney took proper chair-to-guest ratios into account when planning the resort.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 07-08-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    With the pools in the valley between the towers and the Lagoon 1 beach, there should be many places to relax at Aulani. When only Phase 1 is open, chairs and space should be plentiful (although I'm sure the usual chair hogs will show up). As the build-out continues, there will be more guests, but I'm sure Disney took proper chair-to-guest ratios into account when planning the resort.
    Plus there is a huge sand beach to lay your towel out on and relax.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    In fact, it's the opposite. Joe Rohde is striving for authenticity, which is why the lava rock is brown and not black. The idea was to make it look as if the rocks were there before the resort was built.
    It's strange to think that brown lava rocks are authentic when all I've seen was black lava rock. Even if the black lava rock faded, it becomes charcoal gray (like old asphalt), reddish, and and some have white streaks. It becomes a mixture of colors with a dark tone. The walls in the resort are uniformly brown and quite flat, which makes me think the stones were made from concrete molds and pressed against concrete blocks.

Certainly, they can be old volcano rocks from Oahu. If Disney told you this, then I will allow it.

I was talking about the pool size, not necessarily about the lounge chairs. I went to the Aulani web site and there is no information on the pool yet.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

It's strange to think that brown lava rocks are authentic when all I've seen was black lava rock. Even if the black lava rock faded, it becomes charcoal gray (like old asphalt), reddish, and and some have white streaks. It becomes a mixture of colors with a dark tone. The walls in the resort are uniformly brown and quite flat, which makes me think the stones were made from concrete molds and pressed against concrete blocks.

Certainly, they can be old volcano rocks from Oahu. If Disney told you this, then I will allow it.
    I'm not saying that the volcanic rock formations or the volcanic rock walls at Aulani are made from real lava. I'm saying they will look like the real thing on Oahu.

According to Joe Rohde, they did a lot of research into the geology of Oahu, which has very old, eroded stones. With all this research, I really don't think that they failed to get the colors right.

The cool thing is that if you look carefully, you will be able to see all sorts of Hawaiian images in the rocks, as if formed over the millennia by erosion. It's part of the Disney storytelling. I'm looking forward to examining the stones closely when eventually get to visit Aulani.

I was talking about the pool size, not necessarily about the lounge chairs. I went to the Aulani web site and there is no information on the pool yet.
    The official website has extensive information about the pools and water features: Pools | Aulani Activities & Amenities | Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa
    Werner Weiss

Aloha Werner!

I couldn’t miss the parallels’ between your Aulani story and mine at DisneybyMark.com. There are even the same knot-hole shots that Steve Swicegood and I took just days apart. Too funny!
    I enjoyed your story and look forward to more installments.

Mahalo,
    Mark Hickson
    http://www.DisneybyMark.com

Exclusive: Aulani – 8 Weeks to Go (part 1) | Disney by Mark
    Exclusive: Aulani
    Exclusive: Aulani
    Aulani Update | Disney by Mark