• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 12, 2011: One Day, Two Magic Kingdoms

John Delmont isn’t the first person to visit Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World and Disneyland—Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom—on the same day. However, he’s the first to do so and to write an entertaining article about it for Yesterland.
    Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• All Disney, All the Time

Re: August 12, 2011: One Day, Two Magic Kingdoms

Great article! It's great to see that John and Lauren are keeping up their Disney exploits! Now we just need a Secrets of Walt Disney World!

What a fun day! I've been to both parks in the same week many times, but never in a single day! Great!

• Registered Member

Great article.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

Good job. But how hard would it be to do the opposite. DL-WDW in one day?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    Good job. But how hard would it be to do the opposite. DL-WDW in one day?
    Much harder. Perhaps impossible, although I haven't looked at airline schedules and park hours.

The 3-hour time difference between the Eastern and Pacific time zones would work against you instead for you. That's a 6-hour difference in clock time between the two.

Does anyone want to try the math?

And if anyone determines that it's possible, does the actual trip, and writes an article with photos, I'd be interested.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

A Great Article! I hope you do something at before the end of the year, a Highlights of 2011 article perhaps?

As for the trip from DL to WDW, I would so be willing to go to Disneyland in the Morning (sometime around 6 or 7 am), then head on over to ether John Wayne or Ontario Airport around Noon, then arrive at WDW close to 6 or 7 PM. Did I do my math right?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    As for the trip from DL to WDW, I would so be willing to go to Disneyland in the Morning (sometime around 6 or 7 am), then head on over to ether John Wayne or Ontario Airport around Noon, then arrive at WDW close to 6 or 7 PM. Did I do my math right?
    You won't find find a flight from John Wayne or Ontario Airport what leaves around noon and gets you to the Magic Kingdom by 6 or 7 p.m. There are only connections from John Wayne or Ontario to Orlando. That means the time to get from Disneyland to John Wayne PLUS check-in time PLUS 7 to 9 hours of travel time PLUS the 3-hour time difference PLUS the time to get from the airport to Magic Kingdom.

American currently has flight a from John Wayne at 12:15 p.m. through DFW which is scheduled to arrive at Orlando at 9:55 p.m. If your flight arrives in Orlando on time, you have only carry-on luggage, you run for cab, and everything goes perfectly, you should be able to make it into the Magic Kingdom before midnight (on one of the fairly rare nights that the park is open to until midnight or later).

A better idea might be might be to fly out of LAX. At least there are nonstops from LAX to Orlando. That still means the time to get to get from Disneyland to LAX PLUS check-in time PLUS 5 hours of travel time PLUS the 3-hour time difference PLUS the time to get from the airport to the Magic Kingdom.

Delta currently has a nonstop that leaves LAX at 10:10 a.m. and arrives at Orlando 6:14 p.m.

The challenge would be to go to Disneyland in the morning and still make it to LAX for a 10:10 a.m. flight. In the summer, Disneyland normally opens at 8:00 a.m. I think Disneyland offers Early Entry with some tickets on some days, right? So perhaps you could enter Disneyland Park at 7:00 a.m., leave the park after a very short visit, take a cab to LAX, and be at the check-in counter by 9:00 a.m.

It wouldn't easy, but with good planning, good luck, and no intention of actually enjoying much at either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom on that day, it should be possible.
    Werner Weiss

• Former Churro Jockey

One thing that I would like to do is to ride all of Disney's mountains in one day. So starting in Florida, that would be Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, then over to Expedition Everest. Then fly to California. There's a JetBlue flight that I like that leaves around 2:30PM with a stop over in Austin that arrives Long Beach around 6:00PM. So I'd have to be done with WDW by about 12:00PM or so to make that flight. I'd definitely need a car rental to make sure I could leave exactly when I was ready and not have to wait for anything. Then when I land in Long Beach, I'd probably be able to make it into Disneyland by 8:00PM, and if the park was open until midnight that night, and it wasn't a horribly crowded night, then I'd have enough time to do Space Mountain, Big Thunder, the Matterhorn and Splash Mountain. I think that's absolutley doable!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by dscherer View Post
    One thing that I would like to do is to ride all of Disney's mountains in one day. So starting in Florida, that would be Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, then over to Expedition Everest. Then fly to California. There's a JetBlue flight that I like that leaves around 2:30PM with a stop over in Austin that arrives Long Beach around 6:00PM. So I'd have to be done with WDW by about 12:00PM or so to make that flight. I'd definitely need a car rental to make sure I could leave exactly when I was ready and not have to wait for anything. Then when I land in Long Beach, I'd probably be able to make it into Disneyland by 8:00PM, and if the park was open until midnight that night, and it wasn't a horribly crowded night, then I'd have enough time to do Space Mountain, Big Thunder, the Matterhorn and Splash Mountain. I think that's absolutley doable!
    Good plan!

That would be an interesting achievement. If you ever try it, please take your camera, and please write it up for Yesterland.

You might be able to shave valuable minutes from your ground transportation time by using cabs instead of a rental car. Even with membership in a program such as Hertz Number One Gold, it still takes time to rent and return cars.

Also, it would be good if you could have friends at each park obtaining a FASTPASS for each Disney Mountain ride that offers FASTPASS. (I wouldn't consider that cheating, even though you would be using FASTPASS slips that were not obtained with your own park admission ticket.) I believe all Disney Mountains at WDW offer FASTPASS and all Disney Mountains at Disneyland except the Matterhorn Bobsleds do so. Otherwise, you're likely to run out of time riding the four Mountains at Disneyland before midnight on a busy summer night when the park is open that late.

And, of course, you'd have make sure none of Disney Mountains is closed for maintenance on the day that you try this.
    Werner Weiss

I am one of those who has done both resorts in a day. The day was pretty special May 13, 1997.
    I made it a point to ride at least 1 attraction at every one of the US Disney parks that day.
    I started at rope drop at Epcot, then covered Disney MGM (Star Wars), and Magic Kingdom (Haunted).
    I then flew home to California for the passholder premier of Light Magic, and rode on Star Wars again, as well as most of the E-tickets. (I was so tired I don't remember half the night.)
    I so would like to do that again, trying to cover the 2 parks added since '97!

- - Steve

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Mizeras View Post
    I am one of those who has done both resorts in a day. The day was pretty special May 13, 1997.
    I made it a point to ride at least 1 attraction at every one of the US Disney parks that day.
    I started at rope drop at Epcot, then covered Disney MGM (Star Wars), and Magic Kingdom (Haunted).
    I then flew home to California for the passholder premier of Light Magic, and rode on Star Wars again, as well as most of the E-tickets. (I was so tired I don't remember half the night.)
    I so would like to do that again, trying to cover the 2 parks added since '97!

- - Steve
    Wow!
    Werner Weiss

• Minion

Every time I start to get West Coast envy, I'll try to remind myself that at least we have the Carousel of Progress and the Peoplemover!