• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

October 21, 2011: Cypress Gardens before and after LEGOLAND Florida

On October 15, 2011, the former Cypress Gardens park reopened as LEGOLAND Florida—a park that’s simultaneously brand new and more than 75 years old.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• "I Break Things"

Re: October 21, 2011: Cypress Gardens before and after LEGOLAND Florida

Thank you. I think it's fitting that Lego decided to honor the park with a land themed after it! I honestly hope the focus of Legoland Florida is as much about the beautiful gardens as it is about the plastic models.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I think Legoland is a perfect fit for Cypress Gardens, though, I wonder if Lego is going to bring back the electric boat tour thru the Garden's canals in some form?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

It's nice to see the new owners care for the garden. Lets hope the park succeeds and expands.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

The original gardens look pretty good now, and they should improve over time.

I would love to see the electric boats return to the gardens, but I imagine that repairing the canals would be be an expensive project.

LEGOLAND Florida has a beautiful setting on the shore of Lake Eloise. Most of the lakefront is currently unused by LEGOLAND. It makes sense that LEGOLAND's phase one concentrated on reusing existing infrastructure and adding new, LEGO-themed rides. Now that that's done, there's an opportunity to open up the lakefront and to enhance the gardens.
    Werner Weiss

Great article, as always. Highly entertaining and informative.

One weird question- do you have any idea if they've kept the Florida shaped pool at the end of the gardens, or has it been destroyed? It has such great Hollywood history and has been a favorite spot of mind.

On the side, I'm thrilled Legoland has done what it's done. Their park history has proven to be very successful, and I truly hope we see the same here. That they have kept some of the gardens and the ski show is a true testament to their commitment.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMickey View Post
    Great article, as always. Highly entertaining and informative.
    Thank you!

One weird question- do you have any idea if they've kept the Florida shaped pool at the end of the gardens, or has it been destroyed? It has such great Hollywood history and has been a favorite spot of mind.
    The Florida-shaped pool hasn't been destroyed! It's in a part of the Cypress Gardens section of LEGOLAND Florida that's currently not open to guests, but I wouldn't be surprised if LEGOLAND allows guest to see this historic swimming pool again when more of the gardens are reopened to guests.

When asked about the Florida pool during an interview published by the Lakeland Ledger on August 16, 2011, LEGOLAND Florida Marketing Manager Jill Swidler answered, "The Florida pool is still intact in the botanical gardens. However, it will not be accessible to guests when we open in October."

On the side, I'm thrilled Legoland has done what it's done. Their park history has proven to be very successful, and I truly hope we see the same here. That they have kept some of the gardens and the ski show is a true testament to their commitment.
    Being sold to Merlin to become a LEGOLAND is probably the best thing that could have happened to Cypress Gardens. While the park will never be the same as it was in the decades before Walt Disney World, it should now be a financially viable operation that will keep getting better over time.
    Werner Weiss