Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

October 28, 2011: Superstar Limo

“Get ready to be ‘taken for a ride’ through a wacky, whimsical version of Hollywood, where you’re Tinseltown’s biggest new star.”

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Registered Member

Re: October 28, 2011: Superstar Limo

I was so happy when they closed Superstar Limo.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

Thankfully I never had the opportunity to ride Superstar. Man, it looked terrible. I did have the unfortunate experience of riding 'The Great Movie Ride' at HS in WDW and that may be a small step up from what I think Superstar was. Wonder what happened to all the cool characters though?

• Marching along

Here in WDW land, we wish we had something that "bad."

Underwhelming? Absolutely. But our "Journey into Imagination" at Epcot (the current one, not the original) makes Superstar Limo look like Pirates of the Caribbean.

At least SSL had colorful sets and cool lighting. JII is the posterchild for WDWs (WDIs?) obsession with empty spaces, black spray paint and video screens.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

HONK HONK!!

Thanks for the entertaining update, Werner. I rode Superstar Limo once. Seriously, the only good reason for that attraction was seeing a couple of my friends (and former WDI employees) charicatured in the scene with Whoopie Goldberg. You can spot the two, both wearing glasses just to the left of Whoopie.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    Here in WDW land, we wish we had something that "bad."

Underwhelming? Absolutely. But our "Journey into Imagination" at Epcot (the current one, not the original) makes Superstar Limo look like Pirates of the Caribbean.

At least SSL had colorful sets and cool lighting. JII is the posterchild for WDWs (WDIs?) obsession with empty spaces, black spray paint and video screens.

Having gone on the current Journey Into Imagination, I rather have that. Any ride that doesn't have Joan Rivers and Whoopi Goldberg is better in my book.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• The one, the only...

What an incredible waste of money by Disney. It just shows that in trying to be cheap, they were actually throwing money away. If Michael Eisner really liked that ride, he must have been really out of touch.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

I wish I'd had a chance to ride this! I never even knew it existed until I found MC. It makes me laugh every time I see picture or watch a video of it. What were they thinking??

• Planning my next trip...

Good Lord, that ride was awful! Not just a let-down, but nightmarish...and not in a good way. I just remember being totally spooked by the creepy agent on the limo screen. It didn't help that the majority of the caricatures represented weren't even relevant by the time the ride opened. And the horrible Hollywood puns throughout the ride were cringe-worthy.

Even the worst attractions can still have something redeeming about them, but not for this one. It was a first in my book, and I vowed never to get on that ride again. Thank heavens they shut it down quickly before too many people were traumatized.

I was reading on another site one of Al Lutz archives from when DCA openend and it was really funny to see the talk about this ride from the actual time period. There is a youtube ride through video somewhere. The thing is the only one of those actors that is even somewhat still "relevant" is Antonio Banderas. How did they think it would have any staying power? Its so bad though that now its kind of like a legend, like the Atari ET game that came out in the 1980s, supposedly the worst video game ever (rushed out for Christmas time because of the movie success).

• FastPass n00b

Everyone looks so happy to be on this enthralling ride!

• Workin to live,lovin life

The Great Movie Ride @ Hollywood Studios is sooo much better than this! I kinda wish they broke down the whole building and built a new Monsters Inc. track and building... or even something closer to The Great Movie Ride! There are so many aspiring actors in Southern California that it would have made sense to have an attraction like GMR.

• Just this guy......

Yes, Superstar Limo was as bad as it seemed.

Look for yourself.

I never rode this ride or really researched it before, but this article shows that it was a solid order of magnitude worse than I had imagined it to be.

I have a bunch of old video-game "read-me" files that date back to 1998 through 2002 or so. Some of them, that far back, already show the Apostrophe becoming archaic in the English language, although it was far less pervasive than the present. The shot of Drew Carey with "MAPS TO STARS HOMES" which no doubt dates to 2000 or earlier, is an interesting, independent, look at these early stages of decline, in this instance being manifested by WDI. (That's certainly meant to read "stars' homes.")

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

My Gawd! It was even worse than I remembered. The look of utter bewilderment on the photo at the end sums it up; notice how they never even had the nerve to try and sell those. My response to almost every line in the script was "but, why?". It really makes Stitch's Great Mistake look like the Venus de Milo of theme park attractions by comparison.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast