• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

November 11, 2011: Erasing Wonders of Life

Although Wonders of Life at Epcot closed forever on New Years Day 2007—almost five years ago—the golden domed pavilion has had a new life since then as the Festival Center. In this major update to an article originally published in 2009, we'll look at how the facility has changed over the years.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: November 11, 2011: Erasing Wonders of Life

I wonder what they are going to do with the Body Wars vehicles. Great article as always.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

We loved all the aspects of Wonders of Life! In an area of so serious styled presentations, WoL was just plain fun. I think the transformation looks good, but I do miss the place. Great article as always! Thanks!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    I wonder what they are going to do with the Body Wars vehicles. Great article as always.
    As far as I know, the Body Wars simulators and Cranium Command show are still there, but behind locked doors.

Although there's a slim possibility that Disney and a new sponsor could reuse this infrastructure, it seems very, very unlikely.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

I'd think the entire ride system of Body Wars is still in place, and it would be great to see the attraction used as something in conjunction with Food & Wine. Cranium Command would be great to see again too if it's there - it could be a "bonus" or an exclusive AP thing to just flip the switch on it.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Great article as always, Werner! Thanks...

• All-American

For some reason, it seemed to me like Wonders of Life become dated more rapidly than other Epcot pavilions. None of the attractions ever appealed to me when I was younger, so I was never too upset about its loss. That said, it would be nice to go back and see the pavilion with the appreciation of Epcot I have now.

It also seems like Disney is too reliant on existing structures that can be made into valuable attraction space for their event space (Wonders of Life, the World Showcase pavilion thing, the Hunchback theater) for what should be cheaply and quickly built structures. The fact that Wonders of Life is used for temporary events shouldn't be a reason not to put an attraction there - good grief, all you need is an empty room, just build another one!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    I'd think the entire ride system of Body Wars is still in place, and it would be great to see the attraction used as something in conjunction with Food & Wine. Cranium Command would be great to see again too if it's there - it could be a "bonus" or an exclusive AP thing to just flip the switch on it.
    So go eat some free food then go puke it out on Season of the Vine EXREME? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    As far as I know, the Body Wars simulators and Cranium Command show are still there, but behind locked doors.

Although there's a slim possibility that Disney and a new sponsor could reuse this infrastructure, it seems very, very unlikely.
    Really even the AAs are still there?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

A few years ago I snuck into this building when it was officially "closed". I even got into the Cranium Command theater, and was shocked to see not only the AA figures of Buzzy and the hypothalamus still there, but the monitors were on and it appeared that a video frame of black was on each one, indicating that the show could start up with the push of a button. It was sad to see it all going unused, and even sadder to see the pics in this article showing feature after feature being dismantled or painted over one by one. I really loved that pavilion, and Cranium Command was right up there with Horizons and the Timekeeper as one of my favorite WDW attractions. Very sad . . .

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    A few years ago I snuck into this building when it was officially "closed". I even got into the Cranium Command theater, and was shocked to see not only the AA figures of Buzzy and the hypothalamus still there, but the monitors were on and it appeared that a video frame of black was on each one, indicating that the show could start up with the push of a button. It was sad to see it all going unused, and even sadder to see the pics in this article showing feature after feature being dismantled or painted over one by one. I really loved that pavilion, and Cranium Command was right up there with Horizons and the Timekeeper as one of my favorite WDW attractions. Very sad . . .
    Wow how sad. I wonder if the same thing happened with Horizons for the 15 mouths it sat closed.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    For some reason, it seemed to me like Wonders of Life become dated more rapidly than other Epcot pavilions. None of the attractions ever appealed to me when I was younger, so I was never too upset about its loss.
    I feel the same way. Wonders of Life never captured my attention. Body Wars was sort of boring and not synced well (resulting in lots of unfortunate nausea).

Cranium Command was clever but not very repeatable.

For a pavilion about "Life" it really seemed to lack a life of its own. I don't miss it at all, but lament that it was closed without replacement - the ultimate form of Disney budget cutbacks.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I feel the same way. Wonders of Life never captured my attention. Body Wars was sort of boring and not synced well (resulting in lots of unfortunate nausea).

Cranium Command was clever but not very repeatable.

For a pavilion about "Life" it really seemed to lack a life of its own. I don't miss it at all, but lament that it was closed without replacement - the ultimate form of Disney budget cutbacks.
    Yes it would have been interesting to see something new in the pavilion. A lot of space was wasted from top to bottom of the main building.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Body Wars was sort of boring and not synced well (resulting in lots of unfortunate nausea).
    I've heard this before, and I have never found it to be true on my own viewings. I can see where some folks might have nausea, but it's more about the realistic view of the inside of the human body coupled with the surging of the blood flow that made kind of a seasick motion.

• Sarcastic Enthusiast

It's interesting to note that in the early years of "reuse", the pavilion retained the old Wonders of Life trash can designs. It now seems to have generic, light blue cans.
    MagicalTrash.com - Documenting the trash cans of Disney theme parks and resorts

The current building reminds me of the old defunct shopping malls in our community that have gone defunct all the major tenants pulled out; and the developer desperately trying to hang on to the property to use it for craft fairs, swap meets, and cheap convention space. Everything inside gets a coat of clean generic white paint and anything/everything with color or character is removed.