• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

November 18, 2011: Golf at the Yesterland Hotel

In the 1960s, the Disneyland Hotel offered four ways to swing a golf club at golf balls, including a Disneyland-themed miniature golf course!

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• will-o-the-whip

Re: November 18, 2011: Golf at the Yesterland Hotel

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

I wish they would bring back the mini-golf course, it would be great fun to play on a course themed to DL and wouldn't take up much space either. It would be a nice addition to Downtown Disney. Do the hotels still have shuffleboard play areas? I haven't played that in a couple decades...

I grew up in Anaheim and played the mini-golf course frequently. It was the greatest. Disneyland was a once a year visit in my childhood, but the golf might have been four times per summer, a mini Disney fix.

There was another course in the area for a while, on Harbor Boulevard directly across from the main Disneyland entrance on what is now Disney Way. The lot is still vacant under the power poles. Vastly inferior course, however.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Walt Disney World has two imaginative miniature golf attractions, each with two courses:
    • Disney's Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf Course, with Fantasia Gardens and Fantasia Fairways;
    • Disney's Winter Summerland Miniature Golf Course, with the Snow Course and the Sand Course.
    It would seem like a good idea to have a miniature golf attraction at the Disneyland Resort too. It wouldn't require a large footprint. Miniature golf on a Disney course would be a fun, repeatable activity, especially for on-site guests.
    Werner Weiss

• All-American

I actually started a thread a little while ago, which proposed a new mini-golf course at the DLR. A nice discussion ensued, and the old course was actually brought up a couple of times:

Mini-Golf at the Disneyland Resort?

• Registered Member

I was totally unaware that the Disneyland Hotel golf courses, both miniature and regular 18 hole, back in the 60s. They should bring the miniature one back.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

Smile Re: November 18, 2011: Golf at the Yesterland Hotel

Great, very interesting article! I knew there used to be golf at the Disneyland Hotel, but I had no idea it was anything other than a mini-golf...then when I read there were other options as well, AND that the mini-golf was themed to iconic Disneyland places, well, then I got kinda depressed! I didn't know what it looked like in the first place...before my time a bit I guess.
    It is so hard for me to fathom having such a huge pool area (not to mention "grass lawns" and yet not have a miniature golf area anywhere at the hotel or ANY place on Resort property anymore!

One story I heard. When they were tearing out the golf course to make way for the new Marina Tower and Marina complex, they drained the lakes on the course then tried to dredge the soil. The dredging machine got clogged up with over 500 golf balls.

Oldhotelguy.....

I love the tremendous work that both Werner (Yesterland) and you (Donald Ballard - DL Hotel books) have done.
    I am amazed at the amount of research both have done.

I am a local Anaheim native that spent a lot of time on the DL property before Walt Disney bought the land. (My father ran a factory on the DL sight). It can been seen in the background of some of your photos My father, Mother, and I each played often at the Hotel course. I can draw the holes for you, and believe I may have a score card in storage someware.

Small problem with the Golf Course facts in the past, that always bothered me. It has often been repeated that is was an 18 hole course. It was a NINE (9) hole course. For the first time I see that the documentation in the above link correctly lists it as 9 holes. The first hole was very short (80-90 yds), and the fairway was flat and bowl shaped. I could reach the green with a putter and the ball on a tee.Please correct this in the future when describing the Hotel (NOT Minature) Golf course.

Thanks...... Jack

I also flew in the Helicopter from the DL Hotel to the Airport. (Scared me more than any DL ride).

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    Small problem with the Golf Course facts in the past, that always bothered me. It has often been repeated that is was an 18 hole course. It was a NINE (9) hole course. For the first time I see that the documentation in the above link correctly lists it as 9 holes.
    Thank you for recognizing Don Ballard's amazing research and thank you for the nice words about Yesterland.

As I noted in my Yesterland article, the golf course opened in 1961 as an 18-hole golf course. That didn't last long. In 1965, it became a 9-hole golf course when the hotel needed more parking. The 9-hole course didn't last long either. In 1968, the golf course closed permanently to make way for a major expansion of the Disneyland Hotel.

It's correct to call it an 18-hole golf course, and it's correct to call it a 9-hole golf course. It just depends on which years you're talking about.
    Werner Weiss