Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Jan. 20, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

When I worked at the park in the 70's and 80's, I also took the bus (OCTD in those days). And all the routes, the Katella bus, Ball Road, Harbor...diverted over to West Street in the DL area.
    And going home, it was always interesting thta no matter how many times the "this tram does not go to the parking lot" announcement was made, people still got on, and then off multiple times til it was time to head out...
    And being a radio guy, of course I noticed the old KEZY 1190 studios at the hotel.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Jan. 30, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    Great article, Werner!

The Disneyland Hotel from that era is fascinating. And how amazing is the tram with the outward facing seats?
    Those trams were used by the parade department until the mid-'80s to carry performers backstage to step-off areas behind main street and small world. Then they were retired and replaced with the forward-facing yellow trams from the parking lot.

Note that the drive units are actually aircraft tow vehicles and are still used today to pull floats for maintenance or on stage in case of a breakdown. They may have newer models but the fron grill plate is identical why I worked there 85-94.
    Last edited by LohPhat; 03-03-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Re: Jan. 30, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

Quote Originally Posted by LohPhat View Post
    Those trams were used by the parade department until the mid-'80s to carry performers backstage to step-off areas behind main street and small world. Then they were retired and replaced with the forward-facing yellow trams from the parking lot.
    ...and then, those forward-facing yellow trams got put into use backstage to transport performers. I think they're still in use. I loved how fast they would drive them for us! Bet that's all been curtailed by lawyers by now.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

There was one man who drove the hotel tram exclusively for years in the 70's and 80's. He had a real low voice. He was I wanna say older, and a bit portly in stature. Anybody remember who that might have been?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by LohPhat View Post

Note that the drive units are actually aircraft tow vehicles and are still used today to pull floats for maintenance or on stage in case of a breakdown. They may have newer models but the fron grill plate is identical why I worked there 85-94.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    ...and then, those forward-facing yellow trams got put into use backstage to transport performers. I think they're still in use. I loved how fast they would drive them for us! Bet that's all been curtailed by lawyers by now.
    Disney is still using the old 5-string Parking Lot trams and 3-string Hotel Tram trailers for backstage circulators, even if they've replaced the tractors with newer ones - look at any map service with satellite views, and you can spot them buzzing around.

The old Yale, Clark and Harlan tractors from 1955 on could easily still be in service if they wanted to keep them running rather than replace them - they have mostly box-stock light truck parts, standard engines and transmissions, and (narrowed) standard axles, so as long as the chassis doesn't crack in two...

Interesting Factoid that most people didn't realize was going on - the old 5-string parking tram trailers didn't track very precisely, the slower they went the more the rear trailers cut to the inside of the turn, and significantly faster than normal the trailers would swing wider than the tractor's turn.

This could be very bad - a tram creeping along at a walk in a turn would cut the corner and could easily start clipping parked cars and curbs... It was not that unusual for the RT to call out "Driver, Speed Up!" or "Driver, Slow Down!" when they saw the clearance on one side starting to disappear. They were always back there for a reason.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12