Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Jan. 20, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

Enjoy convenient, free hotel tram service all day. The hotel tram leaves from its own stop at the park.

Please discuss it here.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 01-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Jan. 30, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

Awesome article Werner! I used to LOVE taking this little tram back and forth in the 80s and 90s, even. The best part of those pictures was the completely open trams with no idiot-proof lock bars or doors - when people had to be responsible for their own safety!

But wow - some of those pics depict very rickety and dirty trams, don't they?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• ...TWO BITS!

People also think the Disneyland Hotel Monorail Station is AFTER the Downtown Disney Monorail Station. Or trying to do multiple trips on the monorail. It's a one-way trip from DTD to Tomorrowland Station.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

the hotel tram used to stop at the bus stop on it's way to the main gate.
    When I worked at DL in the late 80s/early 90s, I used to ride the bus from Huntington Beach and we would catch the tram.

Ahh yes......the days when kids looked like kids, and everyone was clean and neatly dressed. Definitely a Golden Age in America!

•   

Great picture above of Disneyland's Indiana Jones roping and rigging details and those great perspective ladders on the temple. Shirley Temple was often a visitor to Disney events and I got to see and talk to her during American Sings design and production while she was a United states Ambassador to Ghana. I loved the Bob Gurr latter designed trams much better.
    Last edited by DisWedWay; 01-20-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: update

I have very fond memories of the Monorail Cafe at the old DLH.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• MiceChat Columnist

Kernersville, North Carolina, United States

Great article, Werner!

The Disneyland Hotel from that era is fascinating. And how amazing is the tram with the outward facing seats?

• Registered Member

Great article. I remember taking the tram from the park to the hotel and walking around the hotel and maybe getting a bite at one of the restaurants and then take the tram back to the park.
    James

Once a Disney fan, always a Disney fan.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I miss the monorail cafe and I wish they'ed bring back the monorail cafe in a new form.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

A bit of old school trivia - you used to be able to get on the Monorail at the Disneyland Hotel and buy a monorail-only ride for a buck or two without needing an entry ticket to the park. It would go round trip through the park and back to the hotel where you would exit, but they obviously kept you onboard during the Tomorrowland stop. This went on into at least the late 80's, maybe longer.

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I remember having the hotel tram shifts back in the mid 80's. It was probably the most uneventful job to have except in the morning and at closing when your primary job was to tell people they were on the wrong tram. The best part of the job was that you were pretty much on your own. Some day's the leads would tell you to take your own breaks because there was usually a shortage of drivers. But those trams were so crappy. The hotel and parade tram were usually one step away from falling apart.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Jan. 20, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

"There’s so much to do at Yesterland. You should come back tomorrow to see it all."
    Should be:
    "There’s so much to do at Yesterland. You should come back the day before yesterday to see it all."
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by ex-wdi View Post
    A bit of old school trivia - you used to be able to get on the Monorail at the Disneyland Hotel and buy a monorail-only ride for a buck or two without needing an entry ticket to the park. It would go round trip through the park and back to the hotel where you would exit, but they obviously kept you onboard during the Tomorrowland stop. This went on into at least the late 80's, maybe longer.
    They were supposed to keep you on board during the Tomorrowland stop, but occasionally the Monorail CM on the platform would hit the Door Open button for the tail-cone too - and a lot of people who thought they were only making a lap of the park to look around gladly disembarked inside the park.

Even though you had to buy individual ride tickets at the inside ticket booths once you found yourself inside (if you didn't already have some leftover ones with you) and you might have a problem with a hand-stamp re-admit without a ticket... The cost of the Tailcone Monorail Trip was less than a park admission ticket. Probably one of the reasons why they stopped doing it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Talking Re: Jan. 20, 2012: Yesterland Hotel Tram

I used to work for Airport Service in the ticket booth under the monorail station at the hotel. Circa 1978-1980. What used to be the spot for the old VIP cars turned into a large bus station which was leased to "Airport Service,inc". These large 53 passenger nice buses were a great ride from LAX, Orange County/John Wayne airport to/from the Disneland hotel. There was also a small bus depot at the Grand Hotel across Harbor from the park. I used to sell the tickets for these busses and also "Orange Coast Sightseeing" bus charter tour packages for Sea World, Universal Studios, LA ZOO and other points of interest. Grayline tho was our main competition for those,etc.

Now my ticket booth has been stuccoe'd over and downtown Disney has been built all around it. Was very weird walking around that area recently. I have fond memories tho, like when a school bus got caught in the plastic guard under the monorail track right in front of my booth. It got stuck trying to take the tram route to turn/circle around and got jammed under the monorail track. They had to let air out of the tires to get it low enough to clear. Can't remember if I had my camera at the time for taking a pic, but it would've been classic!! LOL.

Other fond memories were of meeting ladies from nurses or hair dressors conventions at the "Cantina" after work which was just a short walk from the booth,heh. Drank many a beer in there,heh. Later the Cantina had become "Sergeant Preston's" but was still a bar & grill of sorts with a stage show,etc.

With my uniform the same as the drivers,(khaki CHP shirt w/brown tie and brown pants) I was able to "sign in" as a bus charter driver after work to get into the park for free. I'd take the tram to the main gate, sign in and go see my favorite jazz stars when they had great jazz bands playing in August. Met my wife too on one of those little after work excursions,heh. I miss that job!!! LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast